Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Best way to find UA airfare specials from YVR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2016, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

I have a UA $xx e certificate which I have to use by end of October.

United Specials from United.com only shows flights departing from a U.S. city.

TIA.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
It's not perfect but https://www.google.com/flights/#sear..._ALLIANCE;mc=e.

Star Alliance partners are also listed but you should be able to see some deals.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Keep in mind that many/most (what doesn't?) certificates require your itinerary to be entirely on UA/UAX. Don't book itineraries with AC on it if that's the case.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 7:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Taoyuan
Keep in mind that many/most (what doesn't?) certificates require your itinerary to be entirely on UA/UAX. Don't book itineraries with AC on it if that's the case.
Thanks. Yes, it has to be to UA. I was hoping to get email notification like from Secret Flying.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 10:52 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving this over to the UA forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Sep 6, 2016, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I'd say there are rarely (if ever) any specials on UA from YVR.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'd say there are rarely (if ever) any specials on UA from YVR.
Not sure I agree.. I feel like you frequently get far better int'l J pricing ex-YVR than SFO or SEA. Harder to be an all UA metal ticket though.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:58 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by findark
Not sure I agree.. I feel like you frequently get far better int'l J pricing ex-YVR than SFO or SEA. Harder to be an all UA metal ticket though.
Alternatively, you could do a weekend special from SEA for a quick US domestic trip, if interested.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...s/default.aspx
Old Sep 7, 2016, 12:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Beleive those using a Canadian credit card might have some issues using online per this thread. Appears calling will work but there may be issues booking a web special fare on the phone -- if so, request Web Support.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A quick ITA Matrix search (from YVR, to all airports within 2K miles from STL, ua*, in October) shows availability most days at C$270 RT for YVR-LAX. ITA Matrix is very powerful for this sort of thing; put in the cities you'd like to try, click "Advanced Routing Codes", and put ua* in the routing code boxes -- that'll give you all flights with UA codes. o:ua* will give you flights operated by UA, potentially with other codes (e.g., AC).
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
The specials are a marketing trick/way to dispose of inventory. You can often get better fares that are not "special".
Old Sep 7, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Yoshi212
It's not perfect but https://www.google.com/flights/#sear..._ALLIANCE;mc=e.

Star Alliance partners are also listed but you should be able to see some deals.
Originally Posted by Taoyuan
Yep so OP should go to google.com/flights and sort only for UA with dates that work. Should be pretty easy to find some flights.

Don't know where the OP wants to go or how big the eCert is but a ton of options exist really anywhere in the world: HNL can be had for $340 roundtrip, NRT for $715, HKG for $575, LON for $704, SYD for $835, NYC for $350-400 all for random dates in October. All the above purely on UA metal (in Y) making them eligible for eCert.

Really the options are pretty limitless.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 11:42 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
You might make sure that the e-certificate is valid for departure from YVR, all that I have had, have been in USD and not eligible for departure from YVR have had to go to SEA to depart, but could book the return to YVR. When I went to the payment type, the choice for using an e-certificate was not shown.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all advice/comments.
Secret Flying Canada email today shows a United deal from YVR to Philadelphia for $333 CAD return.
Pretty good deal but I am hoping to go somewhere more exotic or interesting.

My e certificate is $700 USD. I can use it for flights departing from Cdn airport. United will just convert my USD certificate to Cdn so about $950 Cdn.

I booked a trip departing from YVR last month but I cancelled within 24 hrs and got refund. I used my aeroplan pts instead and flew out of SEA. Actually just came back a few days ago.

I will check out ITA Matrix.

Where can I find these fares: HNL can be had for $340 roundtrip, NRT for $715, HKG for $575, LON for $704, SYD for $835, NYC for $350-400.

I will double check but I think I just need to book and use e certificate by end of October. Actual flight dates can be later.

Thanks all.

Last edited by Speedy12; Sep 7, 2016 at 5:47 pm
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
If you have such a large credit and are looking to convert it into PQM and/or RDM, then look into first class (P) fares to HNL or NAS. Both would get you lots of PQM for your spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.