Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
These are all stories of either SHARES dropping segments or partners cancelling segments after SHARES fails to push updated ticket information over. Does not provide any compelling reasoning for why UA should be unable to process a simple I->O upfare on an existing award ticket. It would've been no problem before October, but it's longer possible with the new UA award policies.

SHARES has a knack for dropping partner segments (especially for airlines which use 1A as CRS), but once a valid ticket has been issued against inventory, the partner airline has no right to cancel the segment. It's only when the segment is dropped and UA tries to resell it on the reservation that the partner has the option to say no.
So what we are saying is not being able to upgrade an existing itinerary is another devaluation on the UA front?
Old Dec 26, 2016, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Booked an BR/AC TPAC ticket (originating in Asia) today with an excursion segment in I. It worked great online but did not ticket due to AC availability.

Called and the agent said it priced out to 185,000 miles instead of 160,000. She had to get help and store the fare manually and ticket.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This is starting to get beyond my understanding of the details, not going to claim great in-depth knowledge of the awards process but it is my understanding if a ticket gets re-issued it can be viewed as a new ticket and the partner can refuse to accept the re-issue. But I may be confused / mis-applying terminology..
Partners don't get to accept or not accept tickets, they only get to accept or not accept reservations, within 24 hours of the reservation initially being made. When a reissue is done based on an existing reservation, the only carrier which can decide not to accept the reservation is the one which operates the changed segments. Since those changed segments must have current inventory for UA to be processing the change, I'm just generally confused where you got the idea that changing tickets with partners is dangerous because they can randomly say no.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:52 am

Partners don't get to accept or not accept tickets, they only get to accept or not accept reservations, within 24 hours of the reservation initially being made. When a reissue is done based on an existing reservation, the only carrier which can decide not to accept the reservation is the one which operates the changed segments. Since those changed segments must have current inventory for UA to be processing the change, I'm just generally confused where you got the idea that changing tickets with partners is dangerous because they can randomly say no.
Well my experience currently trying to upgrade one leg from business to first is one reason. UA claiming if they process the upgrade I'll lose my later flights since the award seats Rent available on them anymore...
Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jp12687
Well my experience currently trying to upgrade one leg from business to first is one reason. UA claiming if they process the upgrade I'll lose my later flights since the award seats Rent available on them anymore...
Yeah, UA is saying that because of the way they changed the pricing system. It's the exact same problem as the guy who had PHL-ORD-NRT and wanted to change it to DEN-ORD-NRT. Massive devaluation by UA.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:01 am

Yeah, UA is saying that because of the way they changed the pricing system. It's the exact same problem as the guy who had PHL-ORD-NRT and wanted to change it to DEN-ORD-NRT. Massive devaluation by UA.
Gotcha...so no way around this? Huge devaluation of benefits not being able to freely change or in this case upgradevsegments
Old Dec 27, 2016, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
So, in practice, what do you advise to say to the phone agent to help them through the process of re-issuing the ticket without problems? Or are we all just SOL?
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by 100% Green
So, in practice, what do you advise to say to the phone agent to help them through the process of re-issuing the ticket without problems? Or are we all just SOL?
I think we're all SOL. I'm curious is UA will allow manual pricing in the case of schedule changes or whether we're going to be SOL there too.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by 100% Green
Mostly SOL in my experience.

I tried numerous times for what should be a simple change - switching out a United flight for a United Flight at the beginning of my existing itinerary. (needed to start the trip from a different city). The United flight showed award availability, but no one would switch it out.

Basically, the agent plugs in the origin and destinations cities and date of travel. Whatever the computer says is available is what goes. Just like when you search UA.com on your own.

Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Mostly SOL in my experience.

I tried numerous times for what should be a simple change - switching out a United flight for a United Flight at the beginning of my existing itinerary. (needed to start the trip from a different city). The United flight showed award availability, but no one would switch it out.

Basically, the agent plugs in the origin and destinations cities and date of travel. Whatever the computer says is available is what goes. Just like when you search UA.com on your own.

this is a pretty major devaluation that i think has been overlooked and under explained by UA. not cool.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jp12687
this is a pretty major devaluation that i think has been overlooked and under explained by UA. not cool.
Agreed. When it was first announced, I didn't quite get the implications.

Massive degradation in the usefulness of miles for me...and I would think many others as well.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Agreed. When it was first announced, I didn't quite get the implications.

Massive degradation in the usefulness of miles for me...and I would think many others as well.
yea this is the major issue-- not the limiting of excessive stop-over usage. being able to piece together a valid ternary with layovers was one of the most useful things i have done with UA agents in the past to get the best routing possible.

the frustrating thing is about 3 weeks ago i changed from an Aer Lingus flight to the lufthansa flight i now want to upgrade and they did it no issue-- when i know for a fact the Swiss flight hasnt had award seats since i booked 6 months ago.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:53 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Just to make sure I'm following this discussion correctly...I have a SYD-BKK-NRT-IAD itinerary booked in F-C-F. You all are saying that if F availability opens up on the middle leg on the same flight I have now, that I won't be able to get a UA agent to upgrade that segment?
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by coolbeans202
Just to make sure I'm following this discussion correctly...I have a SYD-BKK-NRT-IAD itinerary booked in F-C-F. You all are saying that if F availability opens up on the middle leg on the same flight I have now, that I won't be able to get a UA agent to upgrade that segment?
my understanding based on my experience is this will cause them to "re-validate" the ticket-- and if F award space isnt still open on your other flights-- you will lose that space.

not sure if this applies on only UA metal flights or partner operated flights only.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 10:12 am

anyone here managed to redeem AKL-PPT-AKL Air NZ business class flights using United MP miles before?

i could only get economy, so wondering if business is a unicorn. the CSR i spoke to claimed that business seats will open up as the departure date gets closer (but i find that a little hard to believe) - and if that happens, i can call in to change without any fees since the rest of my flight segments are already business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.