Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2016, 1:26 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
That was problematic before the change.

ALWAYS had the agents "manually" book it prior to now.

Guess I need to worry going forward.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by qisu
Booked an award reservation on Oct 3 for December travel. Today (Nov 17) used the website to change the flights (destination/origin as well as date), no fees charged. Later today, needed to make yet another change (destination/origin as well as date) on this reservation. Website wanted $50 change fee (for platinum elite).

Called in and was told for pre-Oct 6 reservations, you get one free change, but then your reservation is considered post-Oct 6 and the new rules of fees apply. The agent did give me an one time exception and waived the $50 fee. she did document in my reservation that this is an one time exception, and any future changes on this reservation will be subject to change fees.
I have a similar situation for a Jan. 2017 segment(s) that were booked in August 2016. Much to my surprise a 4 award seats became available on nonstop flight in place of a connection. Naturally <60 days before travel - it was no shock that 60 is the break point for fees

I will try my hand to use .bomb for my changes, and then we'll see if yet an even more convenient nonstop opens. At which point I will truly be in same boat

P.S. Kind of shocked this actually worked fine ^ on .bomb but did not change outbound flight

Last edited by Boraxo; Nov 21, 2016 at 4:30 pm
Old Nov 21, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
ALWAYS had the agents "manually" book it prior to now.

Guess I need to worry going forward.
Seems like they've been given pretty strong instructions not to seam itineraries together anymore, thus forcing the married segment logic.

Problem comes when you want to add a leg later on, and most agents now will want to re-price everything (in which inventory may no longer be available)
Old Nov 21, 2016, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
That was problematic before the change.
Pretty sure it was never supposed to be possible.. that the website let you book it by using multi-city was always a bug.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Here is a new one from this morning:
Booked a saver first TATL ...with connecting flights in saver economy (direct on the website)
e.g: FRA-ORD (saver F); ORD-DFW (saver Y) (all on one ticket).

Called to "waitlist" ORD-DFW for saver First.
Told by agent "We cannot wait list anymore. We have a new system. You have to call every day and check".

Is this change for real???
UA admitting/acknowledging waitlist clearing doesn't work and they're not fixing it?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:38 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by mduell
UA admitting/acknowledging waitlist clearing doesn't work and they're not fixing it?
It has worked for me on numerous occasions, so not sure what you are saying...
Old Nov 22, 2016, 6:43 am

United Multiple Cities Award flights

Are there any stopover tricks to calculate awards these days. I am ultimately going from SEA to BZN to WASHINGTON. I wanted a stopover in BZN for 7 days before I continue on. Do I have to price this award separately?

How would it work if I wanted this to be a round trip back into SEA. Again does every leg price separately for awards these days?
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by qisu
Booked an award reservation on Oct 3 for December travel. Today (Nov 17) used the website to change the flights (destination/origin as well as date), no fees charged. Later today, needed to make yet another change (destination/origin as well as date) on this reservation. Website wanted $50 change fee (for platinum elite).

Called in and was told for pre-Oct 6 reservations, you get one free change, but then your reservation is considered post-Oct 6 and the new rules of fees apply. The agent did give me an one time exception and waived the $50 fee. she did document in my reservation that this is an one time exception, and any future changes on this reservation will be subject to change fees.
Updates:
1. I have another award reservation like the one I mentioned above - booked pre Oct 6, changed origin & destination & date post Oct 6 online and it was free. Then I wanted to make another change (just date) and website wants to charge $50. Called customer service (escalated to supervisor) and also tried twitter direct message, both channels refused to waive the $50 fee. Did DOT complaint and the united agent responding was able to help me make the change and waive the fee.

2. I have yet another award reservation, booked pre Oct 6. Post Oct 6, changed only travel date online and it was free. Now when i try to make dummy changes (including destination/origin), I can see that website is not asking for change fee. This agrees with Wine's comment that changing just the travel date does not trigger a re-ticket, so the reservation is still considered pre-Oct 6.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
It has worked for me on numerous occasions, so not sure what you are saying...
All the times it doesn't work, and no one can tell you why or fix it.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by mduell
I had a similar issue. Was booked in Saver biz, wanted to waitlist for Saver F on a different routing (int'l). Took 20 minutes on hold with a supervisor, and had to give up because I had a meeting. He told me the delay was because they had a "new system".

I'd be curious if someone has gotten waitlisting to work since Oct 6.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 5:05 pm

Tried to waitlist for saver F (booked Saver Y) (domestic US flight).
Called 3 times - all of them said they cannot wait list any more.

One agent agreed they used to do it ....then she said they do "cannot" do it anymore (she kind of meant that the functionality of wait listing was taken away in the system change that happened recently).
Old Nov 22, 2016, 5:11 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE

One agent agreed they used to do it ....then she said they do "cannot" do it anymore (she kind of meant that the functionality of wait listing was taken away in the system change that happened recently).
I waitlisted for GF 1 week ago.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA GS

I would not be surprised they didn't build it into the new booking tool, and that it now requires some sort of backend intervention to accomplish and agents are being lazy. After all, waitlisting involves putting in a specific segment/flight, something we know they won't do for booking a new award.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:03 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Arghh this "new system" is so frustrating! Agents keep being unable to book specific segments with inventory available (even non-married inventory) and only being able to book (or saying they are only able to book) specific routing sets that "the computer" offers them. Which is frustrating on a routing like NYC-SIN where the computer keeps suggesting routings on Air China with long connections in PEK (ugh that airport) when space is available on TG/LH via Europe. And the computer happily suggests SOME TG/LH routings through Europe, but coincidentally only the segments that don't have F space, so the computer only offers the Y awards..while not listing the segments that do have F space unless you do a segment-by-segment separate search.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
Arghh this "new system" is so frustrating! Agents keep being unable to book specific segments with inventory available (even non-married inventory) and only being able to book (or saying they are only able to book) specific routing sets that "the computer" offers them. Which is frustrating on a routing like NYC-SIN where the computer keeps suggesting routings on Air China with long connections in PEK (ugh that airport) when space is available on TG/LH via Europe. And the computer happily suggests SOME TG/LH routings through Europe, but coincidentally only the segments that don't have F space, so the computer only offers the Y awards..while not listing the segments that do have F space unless you do a segment-by-segment separate search.
It's an impressive devaluation. Reminiscent of the time in late 2011/early 2012 when United considerably tightened up their routing rules on domestic fares, e.g. changing their cheapest SEA-IAD fares to require nonstop travel. They didn't publish any new fares or change any inventory, but all of a sudden everyone's trips started being more expensive!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.