Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
Arghh this "new system" is so frustrating! Agents keep being unable to book specific segments with inventory available (even non-married inventory) and only being able to book (or saying they are only able to book) specific routing sets that "the computer" offers them. Which is frustrating on a routing like NYC-SIN where the computer keeps suggesting routings on Air China with long connections in PEK (ugh that airport) when space is available on TG/LH via Europe. And the computer happily suggests SOME TG/LH routings through Europe, but coincidentally only the segments that don't have F space, so the computer only offers the Y awards..while not listing the segments that do have F space unless you do a segment-by-segment separate search.
I went through this last couple weeks.
In the end I managed to get home. However, I could have gotten better flight schedules in the "previous" system.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
I went through this last couple weeks.
In the end I managed to get home. However, I could have gotten better flight schedules in the "previous" system.
Me too. Booked OW to HKG (before the change) via VIE but couldn't get back (after the change) via Europe, even after calling. Until "another-change-I-don't-like," it was easy to snag good seats via Europe from HKG to USA.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 3:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, TAP Gold
I'm trying to book a 1-way TXL-FRA-PVG-AKL. When I put in TXL-AKL, there's only economy, but when I look at individual flights, the TXL-FRA-PVG have saver business availability.

Called 1k and they are unable to do ANYTHING. Has anyone been able to get some sort of workaround? This is HORRIBLE
Old Dec 13, 2016, 6:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by pnt1
I'm trying to book a 1-way TXL-FRA-PVG-AKL. When I put in TXL-AKL, there's only economy, but when I look at individual flights, the TXL-FRA-PVG have saver business availability.

Called 1k and they are unable to do ANYTHING. Has anyone been able to get some sort of workaround? This is HORRIBLE
Similar experience here, booking BOS>EWR>TXL tomorrow one-way saver J. I currently have a seven-hour layover, and the agent was very clear that I won't be able to SDC onto a later BOS>EWR feeder flight -- even if there's wide open space in economy -- unless there's also a second saver J seat open on the married TATL segment. In other words, I can't "keep my seat" on the TATL segment and just SDC the first leg, even if I'm willing to sit in the back for the short hop to EWR.

I explained that this made no sense, that there was only one of me, that I didn't see why there needed to be a second open saver J seat for a SDC. She said her hands were tied.

This is starting to sound more and more like a bug.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:24 am

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
It's not a bug. It's a #UnitedUnfriendly feature :-:enhancement:-:

If enough 1K/GS would complain about it maybe we would get somewhere...
Old Dec 13, 2016, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone

I dont think its a bug. I think post October-6th UA changed the functionality of the system used by phone agents. Currently the agents literally see whatever you would see on .bomb (with some exceptions).

However, there are a few agents who are willing to use their previous knowledge and make changes to certain parts of your trip without touching other aspects, etc. These few agents will probably stop doing helpful stuff as soon as their supervisors ding them for doing additional work.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:15 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Similar experience here, booking BOS>EWR>TXL tomorrow one-way saver J. I currently have a seven-hour layover, and the agent was very clear that I won't be able to SDC onto a later BOS>EWR feeder flight -- even if there's wide open space in economy -- unless there's also a second saver J seat open on the married TATL segment. In other words, I can't "keep my seat" on the TATL segment and just SDC the first leg, even if I'm willing to sit in the back for the short hop to EWR.

I explained that this made no sense, that there was only one of me, that I didn't see why there needed to be a second open saver J seat for a SDC. She said her hands were tied.

Why not just wait list for the later BOS-EWR? Also, if you live reasonably close, I would even consider going to BOS earlier to see if an airport agent can help you. They usually have a lot more latitude.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by jmanirish
Why not just wait list for the later BOS-EWR? Also, if you live reasonably close, I would even consider going to BOS earlier to see if an airport agent can help you. They usually have a lot more latitude.
In my experience in the past 4 weeks or so, the waitlisting function seems to have gone away. (e.g., waitlist for earlier flight / waitlist for "I" inventory when seated in Y but paid for business).

YMMV.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
I dont think its a bug. I think post October-6th UA changed the functionality of the system used by phone agents. Currently the agents literally see whatever you would see on .bomb (with some exceptions).
I totally get it, and I understand the logic behind the new married segment rules. But it seems that they should be waived for SDCs. It's ludicrous that there needs to be a second open saver J seat on a segment I'm not even touching in order for my SDC of the first segment to go through.

Originally Posted by jmanirish
To be clear, I'm trying to change onto a later flight, not an earlier one. I'm trying to shorten my layover at EWR. Getting to BOS even earlier than my current 10:15am departure would sort of defeat the purpose.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 9:45 am

In my experience in the past 4 weeks or so, the waitlisting function seems to have gone away. (e.g., waitlist for earlier flight / waitlist for "I" inventory when seated in Y but paid for business).

YMMV.
Agent's might be having problems, but the ability to waitlist is still explicitly provided on UA's website
MP rules

To be clear, I'm trying to change onto a later flight, not an earlier one. I'm trying to shorten my layover at EWR. Getting to BOS even earlier than my current 10:15am departure would sort of defeat the purpose.
Ya I got that. That's why I said if you live close. As in go to the airport earlier in the day, get an agent there to move you to the later flight, leave, and come back for your now later departure.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
If enough 1K/GS would complain about it maybe we would get somewhere...
^^^ Strongly support that !!! ^^^

FWIW, I let UA CS know my serious concerns within days after this change came into effect.

1K and GS: LET UA KNOW !!!

Last edited by goalie; Dec 13, 2016 at 1:05 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:27 pm

I have a roundtrip from JFK to HKG via FRA.

Previously I was allowed to call in and request a stopover in FRA for no additional mileage. Is this still possible under the new rules?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by mjstallion
I have a roundtrip from JFK to HKG via FRA.

Previously I was allowed to call in and request a stopover in FRA for no additional mileage. Is this still possible under the new rules?
No - FRA and HKG are not in the same award region. Therefore the "excursionist perk" does not apply and any stopover will costs more miles. You may be able to get a 23:59 connection but if you perform the award search in multi-city mode (ie JFK-FRA, FRA-HKG) you are still likely to be charged for each portion separately. This, too, is part of the ctober 2016 enhancements.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
"The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it."

Question - Is Standard Economy Award Type lower than Saver First?

Anybody have any experience with this.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
"The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it."

Question - Is Standard Economy Award Type lower than Saver First?

Anybody have any experience with this.
Unequivocally - no. Can't mix standard with saver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.