Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
Wow that e-mail describing the program devaluation as a "user friendly" "enhancement" is offensive.

Send your thank you notes to DOJ.
The accountants spend all their time trying to figure out how to produce another dime of profit and then the marketing department gets to "spin" it as a customer benefit. Every company does this.

I can only guess that in order to be SVP of marketing or CEO you have to have lost all of your common sense.

If United were to say - "in order to remain competitive and invest more in our hard product and customer support we have to find expense in other places like this", people would probably understand. Oscar - please fire whomever is spinning this stuff for you...
Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:06 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
Does UA keep a team of employees whose sole duty
is sit there all day long and try to come up with ways
to make a couple more bucks
and give loyal customer
another reason to leave UA for good? one of these
days, the last straw will definitely brake the camel's
back.
Probably, yes.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Siberian_Viktorya
Does UA keep a team of employees whose sole duty
is sit there all day long and try to come up with ways
to make a couple more bucks and give loyal customer
another reason to leave UA for good? one of these
days, the last straw will definitely brake the camel's
back.
Yes. And they'd probably make more money by firing those people than by making these "enhancements" that drive business away from UA.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
The 10,000 mile domestic stopover is gone too.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by susiesan
Last year I flew from Yangon-NRT stopover DEN-MCI. So now that wouldn't be allowed?

2 years ago I flew SIN-Seoul stopover SFO-MCI. And that wouldn't be allowed either? My main reason for switching my allegiance from AA to UA was for the stopovers on award tickets. Way to piss off your customers UA.
Neither of those were ever allowed on a one way award, nor what the post you're replying to was talking about (US-EU-Asia RT with a EU stopover).

Would this scenario prohibit a 3 day stopover in Japan on the way to CGK or anywhere else in Asia?
Yes, that's two one ways now, regardless if part of an RT.

Confused. How would this work for a vacation award trip I took 2 years ago;
flew MCI-SFO on UA-Seoul-RGN on Asiana all the way through.
stayed 2 weeks in Myanmar
flew RGN-NRT on ANA. Had 5 day stopover. Flew NRT-DEN-MCI on UA.
Booked as a round trip award with a stopover in one direction. So now this would be 3 awards? Going to Myanmar one award, return 2 awards if I want to stopover in Japan?
Correct, it would now be 3 one way awards.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by FlyfromDenver
+1
Rarely upgraded; get to watch 1Ks get free drinks and snacks around me. The use of award tickets without a fee was really all that was left. I may end up 1K for next year but I will hit MM in Sept so lifetime gold will be good enough. No more extra trips to maintain status. I'll be buying business on whatever airline is cheapest - and it's always my own money.
The free drinks and snacks benefit when seated in Y is not all that it's cracked-up to be. I am running at less than 50% this year on getting my freebies.

On one flight, the FA started arguing loudly with me about whether 1Ks were entitled to free snack boxes-like I was trying to scam her, so I just clammed-up to avoid creating a disturbance.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth
The free drinks and snacks benefit when seated in Y is not all that it's cracked-up to be. I am running at less than 50% this year on getting my freebies.

On one flight, the FA started arguing loudly with me about whether 1Ks were entitled to free snack boxes-like I was trying to scam her, so I just clammed-up to avoid creating a disturbance.
Take down her name and file a report with UA? At least you'll get 5000 to
7000 miles as compensation for each incident.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I think I read upthread correctly, but did someone say they lowered the fee for kettles?! Why on earth is that even considered useful? Kettles are the least likely to have any sort of material miles worth redeeming...that can't really be worth all that much.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I think I read upthread correctly, but did someone say they lowered the fee for [non-elite members]?! Why on earth is that even considered useful? [Non-elite members] are the least likely to have any sort of material miles worth redeeming...that can't really be worth all that much.
They can earn plenty of points via credit cards. :-:

Doesn't mean giving them a better deal at the expense of Platinums is necessarily good business, but don't assume they have no points.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
This must be a new definition of "streamline" that I'm not familiar with.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CaptKornDog
This must be a new definition of "streamline" that I'm not familiar with.
Streamline the number of fee types to make it easier for the agents to know how much to charge you and reduce the amount of bad software United IT has to write.

They did bury the lead on this - looking at the previews of the new booking engine, it does appear the new booking engine will have better features.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:21 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
What does UA's new announcement on fee structures mean? Does that mean elite benefits of change/cancellation now only applies to the elite him/herself (vs. flights he/she books for others)?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:23 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
I was just discussing with an agent at the 1K desk that I thought service and attitude had gotten better this year. From the Premier desk to the airport (most of them, anyway) to the cabin crews; I genuinely thought things were getting better. And then this. I just can't understand taking away the Platinum's benefit of no change fees.

The stopover change - at first look - doesn't seem to be overly restrictive with the caveat that the illegal stopovers many of us have gotten will certainly no longer be permitted.

I found this comment on the website the most ironic...

Why are you removing the stopover policy?

"Many members found the stopover policy to be confusing. Our goal is to keep the benefit while making the process of booking your multi-city trip easier, so we are introducing the Excursionist Perk, which is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries."

I always found that United was more confused about it's own stopover policy than the customers.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:23 pm

http://mileageplusupdates.com/mileag...nglish/flight/

This is a fantastic change! Makes redeposit a lot more attractive.

Thank you United. ^^
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
So United eliminated the stopover because "many members found it confusing" (according to the FAQ) and replaced it with an "Excursionist Perk" because clearly that's much better understood...

A "stopover" is a common event in air travel and self-explanatory to travelers. An Excursionist Perk, a name United made up and trademarked, is ambiguous to 100% of passengers and far more confusing than a stopover. Why not just tell the truth about why you changed the benefit (or come up with a better excuse)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.