Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 27, 2016, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
United's Announcement and FAQ

Kacee's Interpretation

Main Impact Since October 6
  • Fee Changes such as platinum members are subject to various award fees
  • No more free stopover - replaced with Excursionist Perk
  • Agents no longer have the ability to find routings that do not show up on united.com
  • Manually constructing trips using multi-city search results in multiple award fares being charged
  • Changing any segment MIGHT require current availability for all existing Os&Ds in the PNR (as if a brand new booking is made) - YMMV
  • Singapore Airlines segments are priced separately (add-ons)

Useful Links
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Award booking questions/ issues/ routing/ excursionist problems / help
Print Wikipost

UA award booking,change questions/fees/issues/routing/excursionist problems {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2016, 6:28 pm

so if I book a one-way award flight now, and the price drops tomorrow (maybe new rates kick in), wil lI be able to cancel it (within 24 hours) and rebook with the new rates?
Old Oct 5, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Clearly it's C.
None of this has anything to do with close-in fees.

Thats not true at all though. There was previously a specific set of close in fees that were applied to any new bookings OR changes made within 21 days.

The post october-6 fees change close-in fees for changes to existing travel an extended period of within 60 days. They just only note them being applicable to close-in changes, without specifically mentioning whether or not the same changes are applied to close-in new bookings.

The growth of the "close-in" time frame, at least for changes to the ticket, is one of the biggest changes at play here.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Excursionist Perk lives

Just tried sample award bookings ex-MNL. When I searched MNL-AUS/AUS-SFO/SFO-MNL, the AUS-SFO segment appeared in the search results as "0 miles," so they clearly have made some of the necessary updates to support the new system.

Oddly, when I searched MNL-AUS/AUS-HNL/HNL-MNL, the return legs showed 20K each (in Y). Since AUS-HNL is not Ex-Perk eligible, they should have been 22.5K and 35K. It priced out properly on the summary page, but I didn't try to proceed with a booking.

I expect this to correct itself soon, but there may be a few extra hours for people to take advantage of the older system before UA completes their software changes.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Got next summer's family trip to Europe booked before the rule change! Saver economy with a stopover.

I have always appreciated Plat as the status where maybe I didn't get the upgrades, but at least they didn't nickel and dime me. This fee change is a nickel or dime I don't like.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:05 pm
Used to be 'joony'

Programs: General Member!
"Scheduled maintenance in progress: We are unable to book or change select multi-city award travel itineraries at this time."
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:07 pm

It has begun:

Name:  multi-city.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  16.9 KB
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:12 pm

Rates are certainly not functioning correctly at this time. Seeing slight discounts on some routings. Seems to be pricing better on Y.

I would highly recommend making some searches.

Last edited by wcalvert; Oct 5, 2016 at 10:30 pm
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:28 pm

Edit: see message above
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: United
So here's an interesting brain burner.

Booked an award ticket around 10:45 central time. Got a reservation confirmation and payment confirmation via e-mail around 10:55. The reservation page on my united.com profile says This reservation was ticketed and confirmed on Wed., Oct. 5, 2016 at 11:00 p.m. Central Time.

But the eTicket Itinerary and Receipt shows "Issue Date: October 6, 2016"

How is that possible? I checked the fare rules as advertised before going through with the purchase and it definitely showed the legacy rules. But I have a feeling if I did have to change the itinerary for some reason, this is only going to cause problems.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:40 pm

Getting an unable to process request on any multicity searches now. looks like they fully brought it down until they get it working.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by future75k
So here's an interesting brain burner.

Booked an award ticket around 10:45 central time. Got a reservation confirmation and payment confirmation via e-mail around 10:55. The reservation page on my united.com profile says This reservation was ticketed and confirmed on Wed., Oct. 5, 2016 at 11:00 p.m. Central Time.

But the eTicket Itinerary and Receipt shows "Issue Date: October 6, 2016"

How is that possible? I checked the fare rules as advertised before going through with the purchase and it definitely showed the legacy rules. But I have a feeling if I did have to change the itinerary for some reason, this is only going to cause problems.
11pm CST is midnight aka Oct 6 on the east coast which is when they started the switchover. Just screenshot those fare rules.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 3:01 am

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Booked a regular, one-way domestic saver for 12,500 miles and it posted to my account as:

Dynamic Award Saver Miles Only

instead of "Saver Award WC21P" which is how one way domestic saver redemptions at 12,500 miles had been posting for some time.

Does this mean Dynamic Awards are coming with the changes that start today? (I was seeing everything at either 12,500 saver or 25,000 standard for the route I booked)
Will there be a miles and dollars option?
What else might this change in nomenclature signal?
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, DL Platinum, UA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
More multi-city changes coming?

Has anybody else noticed the banner on the United page saying, "Scheduled maintenance in progress: we are unable to book or change select multi-city award travel itineraries at this time." Maybe it's nothing, but just seemed a little odd.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: UA - MM/Lifetime Gold
Thumbs down

Just took a look at my award booking I confirmed on Monday...for late November CLE/EWR/ZUR [2 day stopover]/IST/SEZ/IST/IAD/CLE - 80K mile. Wanted to check what the miles would be if I booked today...it jumped to 100K, an increase of 20K miles or 25% more miles for same routing....

Way to go United!!!!
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:54 am

Today/tonight is when they are switching over to the new award rules, which affects multi-city awards substantially.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.