Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Reports July 2016 Operational Performance ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Reports July 2016 Operational Performance ..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by luckypierre
Those nano thunderstorms right over certain gates are a real lasso around UA's operational neck.
Nano thunderstorms? I thought the events were all caused by Sharknados...
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by minnyfly
What we saw in the international thread is a drop in the bucket. You wouldn't notice it.

The main cause for the drop to 97% was a very stormy month at UA hubs. UA didn't have a great July, but much of it wasn't their fault.
That is what CO used to say about delays at EWR. Unfortunately it is their fault for bad practices for an airline on how to handle weather delays.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 9:46 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by sbm12
UA changed what it is reporting. A:00 is actually on time while A:14 is "DOT on time" or within 14 minutes of schedule. It would be expected that the numbers dropped when the target got harder.
Can you provide the date that the change happened? I can note it on the chart then.

Originally Posted by sinoflyer
There is sloppy oversight in that OT chart. The fact the 2016 observations contradict UA's actual monthly OT (A14) percentages of ~ 80% should have been clue that the rubrics had changed during the observation period. UA switched to reporting A0 at the start of 2016, which is reflected in the "disturbing" and "sustained" drop in that chart.

As much as I would love to correct the "sloppy oversight" in this chart which I freely gave my time to create from the available raw data which has no notes about the change in reporting method, I don't have some formula for normalizing the statistics pre- and post-A:00 change. If you do, please provide it.

I will correct my qualitative observations given the info that the stats changed.

Last edited by TA; Aug 10, 2016 at 9:56 am
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:19 am
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by TA
Can you provide the date that the change happened? ...
as mentioned earlier, this started with the 2016 reports (started in January 2016).

Will need to updated your duplicate post also.

Originally Posted by TA
... from the available raw data which has no notes about the change in reporting method, ...
UA noted the change as a footnote (4,5) to the data. It was noted and discussed in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l-results.html and many of the 2016 monthly threads.

Originally Posted by TA
...I don't have some formula for normalizing the statistics pre- and post-A:00 change. If you do, please provide it. ...
there is no fixed equation --- depends on each month.

UA's A:14 data is available from BTS or FlightStats Global Airlines Arrival Performance , You need to decide if you will show A:0 or A:14 and whether you limit it to mainline or entire fleet. A:14. Mainline is probably the most commonly reported metric (and is the historic data reported in pre-2016 UA press releases) but UA's A:0, entire fleet is probably more representative of the feel to the traveling passenger with connections (IMO).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 10, 2016 at 10:25 am Reason: duplicate posting note
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
The change in reporting rubric took place in January. UA has made the disclaimer every month. The exact language appears in this month's report:

July On-Time Performance4
2016 62.3%
2015 56.9%
Change 5.4 pts

4Based on consolidated scheduled flights arriving on or before scheduled arrival time

At this point, the OT chart upthread, colorful as it is, is garbage. Without doing all the homework, I would suggest sources such as flightstats and U.S. Dept of Transportation that can provide a consistent data set over the observation period.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 11:15 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Charts edited above, and statements made less conclusive.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

UA noted the change as a footnote (4,5) to the data. It was noted and discussed in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l-results.html and many of the 2016 monthly threads.

there is no fixed equation --- depends on each month.

UA's A:14 data is available from BTS or FlightStats Global Airlines Arrival Performance , You need to decide if you will show A:0 or A:14 and whether you limit it to mainline or entire fleet. A:14. Mainline is probably the most commonly reported metric (and is the historic data reported in pre-2016 UA press releases) but UA's A:0, entire fleet is probably more representative of the feel to the traveling passenger with connections (IMO).
Sorry I missed that footnote. I would love to extract that correctly normalized data, but unfortunately I don't have enough time to go through all those monthly reports by hand. If there's some queryable database, that would be helpful to know.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 10, 2016 at 5:16 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the posters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.