Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Reports July 2016 Operational Performance ..

Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

United Reports July 2016 Operational Performance

CHICAGO, Aug. 8, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines (UAL) today reported July 2016 operational results.
UAL's July 2016 consolidated traffic (revenue passenger miles) increased 1.2 percent and consolidated capacity (available seat miles) increased 0.7 percent versus July 2015. UAL's July 2016 consolidated load factor increased 0.5 points compared to July 2015.

The company continues to expect third-quarter 2016 consolidated passenger unit revenue to decline 5.5 to 7.5 percent compared to the third quarter of 2015. The year-over-year performance is primarily impacted by demand growth not keeping pace with capacity growth, declining close-in yields, lower surcharges, competitive actions and travel reductions in the energy sector.
pdf link

Code:
July Preliminary Operational Results
                      2016   2015   Change
On-Time Performance4  62.3%  56.9%  5.4 pts  
Completion Factor5    97.0%  97.9% (0.9) pts 

4Based on consolidated scheduled flights arriving on or before scheduled arrival time {A:0}
5Consolidated completion percentage {mainline & express}
previous results
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...rformance.html

United's July 2015 Operational Results

FlightStats Global Airlines Arrival Performance - July 2016
Reports UA A:14 as 78.4%, DL 81.0%, AA 73.9%, WN 73.5%

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 8, 2016 at 3:03 pm
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
United Reports July 2016 Operational Performance

CHICAGO, Aug. 8, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines (UAL) today reported July 2016 operational results.
UAL's July 2016 consolidated traffic (revenue passenger miles) increased 1.2 percent and consolidated capacity (available seat miles) increased 0.7 percent versus July 2015. UAL's July 2016 consolidated load factor increased 0.5 points compared to July 2015.
The company continues to expect third-quarter 2016 consolidated passenger unit revenue to decline 5.5 to 7.5 percent compared to the third quarter of 2015. The year-over-year performance is primarily impacted by demand growth not keeping pace with capacity growth, declining close-in yields, lower surcharges, competitive actions and travel reductions in the energy sector.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Completion factor . . . 97%. Ouch.

Matches what we saw in the International Delayed/Canceled thread.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 3:08 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee

{Seems to match the} spike in flight cancellations during the summer {thread} I started

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ng-summer.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 8, 2016 at 3:22 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the posters
Old Aug 8, 2016, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Completion factor . . . 97%....
AA and WN were worse and appears DL was better but still 98.3% (per flightstatus) --

DL just reports mainline a great 99.7% competition
flightstatus reports July DL main competition as 99.3%, same report for UA is 98.7% -- not sure on the differences in reports.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 10:51 am

Another second place finish to Delta in regards to A:00 in July. I think UA has only beaten them once this year, though still always ahead of AA and WN.

Might finish #1 this month though, after the performance by DL yesterday. Obviously the system outage being the cause, but wow....3.3% on time!

Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:16 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Since there is constantly discussion about on-time % each month, I thought I would compile a few plots from the financials/operational results that might help to have in visual form:

The gray bars in the background are "summer" periods, to help analyze someone's point in a different thread about whether summer leads to more cancellations or lower dispatch reliability.

I think the argument certainly could be made that summer months tend to experience drops in reliability over the last few years. (although at the level of ~ a few to 10%) There are times when drops occur outside summer months too of course.

[Chart updated with note showing when UA started reporting on-time statistics differently in January 2016.]

[removed the last charts about RPM and ASMs, as they are less related to on-time performance]

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 10, 2016 at 5:14 pm Reason: discuss the issues, not the posters
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TA
.... More disturbing is the latest sustained drop in on-time %.....
Are your adjusting for UA using A:0 & entire fleet in 2016 vs A:14 & mainline only in previous years?
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:34 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
There is sloppy oversight in that OT chart. The fact the 2016 observations contradict UA's actual monthly OT (A14) percentages of ~ 80% should have been clue that the rubrics had changed during the observation period. UA switched to reporting A0 at the start of 2016, which is reflected in the "disturbing" and "sustained" drop in that chart.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 12:41 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL

What we saw in the international thread is a drop in the bucket. You wouldn't notice it.

The main cause for the drop to 97% was a very stormy month at UA hubs. UA didn't have a great July, but much of it wasn't their fault.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by minnyfly
UA didn't have a great July, but much of it wasn't their fault.
Yes, we know, it never is
Old Aug 10, 2016, 2:44 am

Yes, we know, it never is
It truly is amazing that bad weather is unique to UA's operations.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 3:42 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Are your adjusting for UA using A:0 & entire fleet in 2016 vs A:14 & mainline only in previous years?
Sorry, I don't know what that is? These are the nominal values taken straight from the Operational Performance monthly press releases from UA's newsroom site.

Let me know what the adjustment means, and I can try to apply it.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by TA
Sorry, I don't know what that is? These are the nominal values taken straight from the Operational Performance monthly press releases from UA's newsroom site.

Let me know what the adjustment means, and I can try to apply it.
UA changed what it is reporting. A:00 is actually on time while A:14 is "DOT on time" or within 14 minutes of schedule. It would be expected that the numbers dropped when the target got harder.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by halls120
It truly is amazing that bad weather is unique to UA's operations.
Those nano thunderstorms right over certain gates are a real lasso around UA's operational neck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.