Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Heads up: The Billion Mile Giveaway starts August 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heads up: The Billion Mile Giveaway starts August 1

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2016, 5:49 pm

Yes.

Originally Posted by ELAL
To enter (manually), is it enough to be a United Mileage plus member although I don't hold a chase card?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:32 am

Programs: Marriott: Platinum Hilton: Diamond AC: 25K
Wow Guess I will have to use my chase card this month instead of the saphire just for the small chance to win. I think this is a fun promo.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Actually:
Well color me surprised! Since all of the marketing materials I received came from Chase (Not United), I made the natuaral assumption that it was a Chase promotion.

Interesting that United would use the Chase card usage as entries. I guess they must bring in a fair amount of revenue from the partnership.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Approx Retail value: $27500 for 1,000,000RDM?? Should it be more like $20000 or $15000?

I wonder how the odds of winning the grand price compare to something like odds of a Silver getting CPUed on a hub-hub Tcon on a A319 on a Friday
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by eng3
Approx Retail value: $27500 for 1,000,000RDM?? Should it be more like $20000 or $15000?
$27,500 for 1M RDM and $7,500 cash.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
$27,500 for 1M RDM and $7,500 cash.
$20,000 for the value of the miles and a check for $7500 to help pay the taxes on the winnings. Total $27500 value.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 3:02 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by grapegrower
hmmmmm....do you think they have 'banned' entries made from overseas servers?
we have filled out the form (all keystroked) in Australia and the entry form just sits there after hitting 'enter now'.
Originally Posted by findark
Enter as often as you wish is probably required by the fact that an MPE card user can enter as often as they wish by making many purchases. The very next sentence discourages making too many entries ("each entry must be manually key stroked"). Given the volume of entries, I highly doubt that entering the sweepstakes non-stop is profitable on an EV per hour basis.
I wonder how many entries could be made by a click farm team overseas submitting entries for you day and night, and how much that would cost...

[edit]

Well, I did some estimating:

If you were able to enter continuously for the 2 months the contest is going, and you can achieve a rate of 2 entries per minute (based on my tries), that would get you approx. 172,800 entries, working around the clock.

I suppose maybe something like that would cost you ~$100-500 to pay a click farm to do, for that amount of time? Probably costs a bit more than just clicks since there's real info that has to be entered.

And your chances of winning something would be significant?

Last edited by TA; Aug 16, 2016 at 3:30 am
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TA
I wonder how many entries could be made by a click farm team overseas submitting entries for you day and night, and how much that would cost...

[edit]

If you were able to enter continuously for the 2 months the contest is going, and you can achieve a rate of 2 entries per minute (based on my tries), that would get you approx. 172,800 entries, working around the clock.

I suppose maybe something like that would cost you ~$100-500 to pay a click farm to do, for that amount of time? Probably costs a bit more than just clicks since there's real info that has to be entered.

Would be difficult to tell if they were really doing anything. At least with an ad campaign you have stats. Also, after a few entries you start to have to do an image Capta for near term subsequent entries.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by TA

[edit]

When compared to the number of transactions worldwide on United credit cards, that still seems like pretty low odds.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 10:53 am
TA

Originally Posted by Surface Interval
Would be difficult to tell if they were really doing anything. At least with an ad campaign you have stats. Also, after a few entries you start to have to do an image Capta for near term subsequent entries.
Oh, so far I have had to complete a Captcha every time!

I would guess you could have them take a screen capture movie to show that they're doing something the whole time....
Old Sep 5, 2016, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Mlife Gold, Starbucks Gold
I just spent 3 hours and a growler of a pumpkin imperial stout repeatedly entering this contest...

Drunk me is getting really good at Captchas.

Last edited by Wooglin; Sep 5, 2016 at 10:21 pm
Old Sep 6, 2016, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by TA

[edit]

the only thing at needs manual intervention is the captcha, the form values can be easily automated, or even scripted where all you have to do is update the capcha token each time, you can get a lot more than 30s

there's nothing on that page that can distinguish whether you typed it "manually" or not
Old Sep 6, 2016, 4:29 pm
TA

Originally Posted by toastedcoconut
the only thing at needs manual intervention is the captcha, the form values can be easily automated, or even scripted where all you have to do is update the capcha token each time, you can get a lot more than 30s

there's nothing on that page that can distinguish whether you typed it "manually" or not
Do you have some tool that can automatically fill the form in Chrome or similar, even though it is not recognized as a form naturally by the browser?
Old Sep 6, 2016, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
So I guess there's a bunch of people out there gaming the system by submitting tens or hundreds of thousands of entries via automated scripts and the like.

Cheaters.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by TA
Do you have some tool that can automatically fill the form in Chrome or similar, even though it is not recognized as a form naturally by the browser?
no, I'm not doing any of this, but just simply looking at the webpage, the only things it sends up when you press the enter button are the form values plus the captcha token, and another token that doesn't seem to change

extract the captcha token, replace its value and replay the same request up, it's pretty trivial for a developer or, I'd imagine, anyone who would think of cheating the system anyway

whether it's suspicious that a MP account has thousands and thousands of entries compared to everyone else is up to you to decide

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.