Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Heads up: The Billion Mile Giveaway starts August 1

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heads up: The Billion Mile Giveaway starts August 1

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:06 pm

I have a United Presidential Plus Credit card from Chase

Do purchases made using this card also qualify?

thanks
Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I can't help but think how much more this will reduce availability of award seats. It's not like award inventory is going to be increased as a result of a billion additional miles instantly in the market.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:23 am

Programs: UA Silver
Are entries based on dollar amount spent or individual transactions? Cause if it's transactions... 😂
Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:35 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I can't help but think how much more this will reduce availability of award seats. It's not like award inventory is going to be increased as a result of a billion additional miles instantly in the market.
Considering UA is estimated to be approaching 1 Trillion miles outstanding award miles (10 years ago UA reported 500B), it is not going to make much difference.

Originally Posted by horse glasses
Are entries based on dollar amount spent or individual transactions?...
Per T&Cs
An Eligible Participant will automatically receive one (1) Sweepstakes entry for each eligible purchase made with an eligible United MileagePlus Chase credit card

Originally Posted by horse glasses
... Cause if it's transactions... ��
Others have already gone there
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Originally Posted by channa
How many FTers are going to break down their grocery order at self-check into 1-item orders to maximize their chances?
And they are all going to be individual boxes of pudding mix.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 24, 2016 at 12:41 am Reason: self-merge
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
I cannot help believe that this is not going to be good for most of us in the long run.

Chase and United have already teamed up to sell everything. They make a fast buck doing it, but there are long term consequences.

Some of us older frequent flyers remember Delta's triple mileage offer in the 90s. All the airlines followed suit. There were so many award miles out there that this eventually led to the first de-evaluation of miles.

The saga continues.

As it is, I get an email almost weekly from United either offering me the opportunity to buy miles at a discount or an email trying to get me to spend my miles on something.

Call me old fashioned, but what I really want is to buy free first class or business class tickets to some great destination for a reasonable number of miles. THAT gets more and more difficult with every offer and promotion that United and Chase use to get fast cash.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
I cannot help believe that this is not going to be good for most of us in the long run..
1,000,000,000 miles given out.

1,000,000,000,000 miles out there at minimum.

One is adding 10^9/10^12 x 100 = 0.1% more miles to the mix.

And that's being generous - since the majority of the miles are 5K add-ons to accounts.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 12:25 pm

...and a reminder that this is now live
Old Aug 1, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Do we have to enroll first?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bruin1K
Do we have to enroll first?
Click on the link in post 1 and read the rules.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
There are two (2) ways to enter:

1 - Automatic Entry: An Eligible Participant will automatically receive one (1) Sweepstakes entry for each eligible purchase made with an eligible United MileagePlus Chase credit card during the Promotional Period at a participating merchant location in the U.S. Only eligible United MileagePlus Chase credit card purchases, or payments made with an eligible United MileagePlus Chase credit card that is not in default under the customer agreement for that account and issued by Chase Bank U.S.A., N.A. processed through Visa U.S.A. Inc.'s or MasterCard's transaction-processing system during the Promotional Period are eligible for automatic entry ("qualified purchase"). In the event of a dispute as to who submitted a particular cardmember entry, such entry will be deemed to be submitted by the primary person in whose name the card used to enter the Sweepstakes was issued. ATM transactions, account adjustment transactions/returns, cash advances, balance transfers, non-U.S.-dollar purchases, Interlink®-processed transactions, purchases authorized by entering a PIN (Personal Identification Number), and payment of late fees or over-limit fees are excluded from automatic entry. Other restrictions and exclusions may apply. United MileagePlus Chase credit cards or card numbers that are stolen, fraudulent, tampered with, or otherwise altered are not eligible for automatic entry. Automatic entries must be made by 11:59:59 PM PT on 9/30/16, in order to be eligible.

2 - Non-Purchase Entry: Log on to https://www.billionmilegiveaway.com and follow the on-screen entry instructions to be entered. Enter as often as you wish, however, each entry must be manually key stroked. Non-Purchase Entries must be received by 11:59:59 PM ET on 9/30/16. To enter via this method, entrant must also be a member of the United MileagePlus® program as noted above.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 1:54 pm

What do people think the definition of manually key stroked is within this context? Do form fills count as manually key stroked?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:21 pm

Hey, this is exciting. United is doing something to reward its most valuable customers, the people who fly regularly and keep United in business! Oh wait, they're just rewarding the people who spend $95...who are (mostly) customers of Chase.

Yes, I realize that this impractical option exists: Non-Purchase Entry: Log on to https://www.billionmilegiveaway.com and follow the on-screen entry instructions to be entered. Enter as often as you wish, however, each entry must be manually key stroked.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by charlesonmission
What do people think the definition of manually key stroked is within this context? Do form fills count as manually key stroked?
I had the same question.. I think I'm going to play it safe and actually type everything in. Unless someone can confirm?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by channa
How many FTers are going to break down their grocery order at self-check into 1-item orders to maximize their chances?
At my grocery store, my card will be denied if the second transaction is the same amount as the first transaction.

I do this monthly when there's a "limit 2" and I need to buy 4 or 6. I have to buy extra items so my card will be approved.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:40 pm

Can you elaborate on how this is rewarding the most valuable customers? People that get the automatic entries are those with the Chase United cards.

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
Hey, this is exciting. United is doing something to reward its most valuable customers, the people who fly regularly and keep United in business! Oh wait, they're just rewarding the people who spend $95...who are (mostly) customers of Chase.

Yes, I realize that this impractical option exists: Non-Purchase Entry: Log on to https://www.billionmilegiveaway.com and follow the on-screen entry instructions to be entered. Enter as often as you wish, however, each entry must be manually key stroked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.