Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

SGN service ending [Effective October, 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2016, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: riphamilton
final flights: HKG 28OCT, SGN 29OCT (per @airlineroute)
Print Wikipost

SGN service ending [Effective October, 2016]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The replacement service will be an additional GUM-PVG frequency.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by sbm12
The replacement service will be an additional GUM-PVG frequency.
As in another weekly frequency? Right now I believe GUM-PVG is 2x/week. 1 additional weekly frequency would be a bit less than block hour-neutral (as HKG-SGN was daily service) while 2 more weekly flights would exceed the block hours of daily HKG-SGN.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Here's the next year of GUM service as of July 1 (yea yea my schedule is a month old):

Code:
 destination | count 
-------------+-------
 SPN         |  1668
 NRT         |  1095
 NGO         |   730
 KIX         |   730
 MNL         |   573
 FUK         |   365
 HNL         |   365
 ROR         |   313
 TKK         |   211
 HKG         |   209
 ROP         |   157
 CTS         |   105
 SDJ         |   104
 PVG         |   104
 YAP         |   104
 PEK         |     3
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by EWR764
As in another weekly frequency? Right now I believe GUM-PVG is 2x/week. 1 additional weekly frequency would be a bit less than block hour-neutral (as HKG-SGN was daily service) while 2 more weekly flights would exceed the block hours of daily HKG-SGN.
If they do an augmented crew to allow the turn with the same FAs would that get to an equivalent block hour time?

Or maybe something else comes along, I suppose. But this is the first new GUM service announced after the SGN cut.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
If they do an augmented crew to allow the turn with the same FAs would that get to an equivalent block hour time?

Or maybe something else comes along, I suppose. But this is the first new GUM service announced after the SGN cut.
I suspect the flight could be augmented it with a 5th F/A, but operating the flight as a turn with minimum crew is 'legal' under the current contract (Jose can probably correct me if I am wrong) as both flights are blocked right around 4h. My guess is they'll add one more day-of-week turn to PVG, so as not to double capacity, and perhaps add frequency elsewhere.

At the pointy end, I believe GUM-PVG gets a relief pilot to allow the flight to operate as a turn and avoid laying over the flight crew on a 2x/weekly (at the moment) service.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold
Wow. Any chance UA would open a UC or Polaris lounge at PVG?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by CappuccinoAddict
Wow. Any chance UA would open a UC or Polaris lounge at PVG?
I'd love to see it, and UA will definitely have the volume through PVG to support it, but I'm sure a foreign carrier seeking to lease space at a Chinese airport would involve miles and miles of red tape.

The CA lounges there are adequate... the J lounges are nothing to write home about, IMO.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by EWR764
I'd love to see it, and UA will definitely have the volume through PVG to support it, but I'm sure a foreign carrier seeking to lease space at a Chinese airport would involve miles and miles of red tape.

The CA lounges there are adequate... the J lounges are nothing to write home about, IMO.
Neither is the CA F lounge....
Old Aug 5, 2016, 11:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
According to UA flights to/from SGN MUST be on ANA and the same fare basis as your Orginal fare for the ANA legs. I said I was never on ANA and Supervisor mentioned that only "certain" fare codes are in the suspension agreement. This made no sense to me. I tried to route through SIN with SQ and no dice not allowable. Seems to me the changes are very restrictive. Reservation supervisor said she has not see this more than 3 times in get whole career with UA. Major Fail on UA. Any suggestions I prefer not to fly Air Japan and be seated like a sardine..
This is very upsetting. I told them I wanted to go through SIN and they said they would get back to me, but have not heard anything. The ANA flights do not work out timewise. I do not want to leave in the morning and that seems to be the only flight that works. With SIN, I can leave early evening. If you want to give up a destination, at least bend over backwards to accommodate your passengers. That is one reason I will probably leave UA.

Last edited by Nevsky; Aug 6, 2016 at 12:48 am
Old Aug 8, 2016, 10:32 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Nevsky
I do not want to leave in the morning and that seems to be the only flight that works. With SIN, I can leave early evening. If you want to give up a destination, at least bend over backwards to accommodate your passengers. That is one reason I will probably leave UA.
I had already bought a SGN-IAH-SGN (via HKG/EWR) trip in Dec. They rebooked me SGN-NRT-IAH. Not what I want but will be fine. At least that new ANA flight leaves at 07:30 instead of 05:35. Those ANA seats still suck.

I will really miss HKG. Future flights will probably be ex-SIN (great fares for now) & I'll buy the connections separately. I just don't care to transit at NRT.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
I had already bought a SGN-IAH-SGN (via HKG/EWR) trip in Dec. They rebooked me SGN-NRT-IAH. Not what I want but will be fine. At least that new ANA flight leaves at 07:30 instead of 05:35. Those ANA seats still suck.

I will really miss HKG. Future flights will probably be ex-SIN (great fares for now) & I'll buy the connections separately. I just don't care to transit at NRT.
I agree!7 with that said, what carrier would you use SGN-SIN-SGN?

Thanks and Safe Travels..
Old Aug 8, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
I agree that the connection through SIN is better than the one through NRT.

I wonder if the entire journey EWR-SGN will longer through SIN?
Old Aug 8, 2016, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Machine
I agree!7 with that said, what carrier would you use SGN-SIN-SGN?
I'm the only flyer who avoids SQ. But they fly SIN-SGN 3x per day so I'll use SQ. And my 1K card will allow me access to their *G lounge. I just won't pay business for a 650 mi flight.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 4:43 pm

Just called UA and was told that the HKG-SGN service will end starting 10/29 (not official yet but that is the plan). Don't think I saw post out there that mention the exact date, so thought I would share here.
Old Aug 8, 2016, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by qplazm1982
Just called UA and was told that the HKG-SGN service will end starting 10/29 (not official yet but that is the plan). Don't think I saw post out there that mention the exact date, so thought I would share here.
Thanks for posting. I never thought to ask when I rebooked my Dec flight. I'll have at least one more pair of trips on this route. I wont' miss the flight times, but I'll miss the Guam crew. They're great.

I have a certificate from UA for being on the 1st SGN-HKG flight. 11 Dec 2004 IIRC. They put on a good show that day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.