Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Routing Advice BKK / Southeast Asia to/from USA for UA flyers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 19, 2022, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Routing Advice BKK / Southeast Asia to/from USA for UA flyers

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2019, 9:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I think it's obvious that SFO-BKK does not have the premium demand as HKG and SIN, which is why UA routes passengers via NRT and NH (East Coast-NRT-BKK is best routing IMO).

What I find very interesting though is UA thinks it's more profitable to fly to 3x/weekly to CPT from EWR instead of SFO-BKK. .
Actually they are essential the same flight distance but EWR-CPT is clearly a less competitive route and likely will substain higher PRASM (likely significantly higher) as the present alternatives have higher fares.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by 764toHI
I think it's obvious that SFO-BKK does not have the premium demand as HKG and SIN, which is why UA routes passengers via NRT and NH (East Coast-NRT-BKK is best routing IMO).

What I find very interesting though is UA thinks it's more profitable to fly to 3x/weekly to CPT from EWR instead of SFO-BKK. I say this because it's also leisure-orientated, a longer route, CPT has less connection opportunities, and UA will have to figure out how to route 1.5 787-9s in and out of EWR.
It's also definitely in the Y fares as well - Asia is a slaughterhouse at the moment with prices regularly falling below $500 r/t on many routes, whereas I imagine they can hold double that to Africa due to almost complete lack of competition.
Old May 6, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, National Executive, United Gold
There still may be rock-bottom TPAC Y fares offered by the Chinese airlines but that didn't impact UA's 1Q19 results - TPAC was the strongest region from a PRASM perspective and management specifically highlighted strength in the Y cabin.

Great point overall competition vs. Africa though. I didn't appreciate how out of the way connecting in DXB/AUH/DOH is to South Africa.

Originally Posted by findark
It's also definitely in the Y fares as well - Asia is a slaughterhouse at the moment with prices regularly falling below $500 r/t on many routes, whereas I imagine they can hold double that to Africa due to almost complete lack of competition.
Old May 6, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks!

Originally Posted by jsloan
Given those options, UA if you need the PQD; EVA otherwise. Codeshare or not, you wouldn't be able to ticket the TPAC BR flight on a United ticket. I do like the long-haul EVA product a lot.

The SQ A350 is, IMO, the least comfortable lie-flat seat for sleeping that I've ever flown, and that includes the UA 2-4-2 config. (I actually like the UA 787, as long as I can get a center column seat, but I digress). It's a great seat for sitting, but awful for sleeping.
Originally Posted by goodeats21
You kind of laid out the pros / cons, so really depends on how much you want the PQDs.

Agree with jsloan. EVA would be my preference for best overall option of the 3 presented.
Originally Posted by Kacee
I've flown them all in J within the last six months. CX is IMO the best overall option, as they have the best frequency and the best transit at HKG. I would put BR second, slightly lesser frequency and I don't like the TPE transit (lounges suck), but the service and amenities are better than CX. SQ is a less convenient routing and the seat is uncomfortable. SQ food and service are excellent and Changi is a great airport. I put UA last because I HATE the daytime departure/late night arrival, and there is no good option for the return. You basically waste two full days with the UA flights due to the departure/return times.

Between the Cirrus seat (CX, BR) and the Polaris seat I'm ambivalent - Cirrus is more spacious, Polaris is more private if you can get odd-numbered window. UA has the best bedding and the air vents are a nice plus.

If you fly CX or SQ, you can credit to AS and get a boatload of miles. BR doesn't work well from a points crediting perspective.

You might also consider the NRT routing on a UA ticket. You can either fly the UA or NH 77W for the TPAC, and the NH 789/781 for NRT-BKK. I think that's a preferable routing compared to TPE, and NH service is IME the best of them all. One final consideration is, if you put your last flight (back to SFO) on UA, you can use the arrivals lounge.
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I like the UA SFO-TPE route, but I agree UA's flight times are a problem. Not so much for sleeping, but UA makes connections in TPE almost impossible. Flight arrives ~ 7 pm, but is often late, so booking BR TPE-BKK that evening is a roll of the dice. It departs ~ 10:30 am, so you better be prepared to spend the night at TPE. It seems UA only sees this as a O/D route.
Thanks for all the wonderful advice. I took your advice about doing the center row SFO-SIN so that nobody next to me will crawl over me for the bathroom, nor do I have to crawl over someone else. I then am doing SIN-BKK on SQ, BKK-TPE on EVA, and then TPE-SFO on United Polaris. Thanks for the great tips!
Old May 19, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
SFO-SIN-BKK. BKK-TPE-SFO business class UA, Singapore Air, Eva

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Thanks for all the wonderful advice. I took your advice about doing the center row SFO-SIN so that nobody next to me will crawl over me for the bathroom, nor do I have to crawl over someone else. I then am doing SIN-BKK on SQ, BKK-TPE on EVA, and then TPE-SFO on United Polaris. Thanks for the great tips!
For those who are interested in seeing my report, it is here:

www.Instagram.com/sfflyer123

The Routing I took was, SFO-SIN on UA B787 Old Polaris. SIN-BKK SQ A330 old business class. BKK-TPE on Eva B777 new business class, TPE-SFO B777 UA New Polaris. Here are some take away points

--On SFO-SIN, it's 16.5hrs, it is a long flight. There were about 10 open seats in business class by upgrade map on the UA app, so upgrade chances are probably pretty good. Left on a Wednesday, though. Row 1 is close to the galley and bathroom, so I would avoid row 1 despite the larger footwells.

--SIN-BKK on the SQ A330 old business class is still very nice. I highly recommend

--BKK--TPE Eva is outstanding on the B777. Even though it was a 3hr flight, they had nearly the same product as a long-haul. They served an outstanding Bordeaux for a 3 hour flight.

--TPE-SFO, avoid rows 7 and 8 by the windows. It's close to the galley and very noisy. Row 1 is also near the front galley and bathroom so it's bright.

Last edited by SFflyer123; May 19, 2019 at 2:32 pm
Old Jun 17, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: United 1K
United or Partners IAH to Bangkok

I have a trip coming up at the end of July (7/24 - 7/30) for a run over to Bangkok. I'd like to make the most out of the distance for Premier Qualification and would like to be in a Premium Economy product. I don't think it's possible for IAH to Bangkok on United metal in Premium Plus so happy to fly with a Star Alliance Partner (EVA, Singapore, etc) and earn PQMs as my PQD is doing fine for the year. Anyone fly there and have any suggestions on routing or best way to make the trip on United (or with partners)?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 17, 2019 at 5:23 pm Reason: Moved to exisiting thread
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by TxTraveler18
I have a trip coming up at the end of July (7/24 - 7/30) for a run over to Bangkok. I'd like to make the most out of the distance for Premier Qualification and would like to be in a Premium Economy product. I don't think it's possible for IAH to Bangkok on United metal in Premium Plus so happy to fly with a Star Alliance Partner (EVA, Singapore, etc) and earn PQMs as my PQD is doing fine for the year. Anyone fly there and have any suggestions on routing or best way to make the trip on United (or with partners)?
You are correct, UA does not fly to Bangkok. You may wish to consider EVA AIR (BR), who provide an excellent service in PE. BR IAH-TPE-BKK return would be $1583 in PE, I notice for your dates, and earns 100% miles minimum.

Edited to add: There is a possibility EVA Air FAs will go on strike soon, but likely that will be resolved by your dates of travel.
Kacee likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
I try to stick to United metal when I can since I am getting closer to million miler.

For this routing I'd likely do IAH-NRT on United and then NRT-BKK on on ANA/Air Japan. The flight leaves at a decent time in IAH (10:40am), gives 3 hours in NRT which is plenty of time in the event of minor delays, or time to enjoy the NRT lounge if not, and arrives in BKK at 9:40 PM, so perfect time to get to the hotel and crash before midnight and start the next day fresh.

If you're really gunning for Premium Plus, another option would be IAH-SFO, SFO-NRT (PP on United), and NRT-BKK on Air Japan. Other midway connection stops to get premium plus could be IAH-SFO-HKG-BKK or even IAH-EWR-HKG-BKK.
jonisflying likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by brp1264
For this routing I'd likely do IAH-NRT on United and then NRT-BKK on on ANA/Air Japan. The flight leaves at a decent time in IAH (10:40am), gives 3 hours in NRT which is plenty of time in the event of minor delays, or time to enjoy the NRT lounge if not, and arrives in BKK at 9:40 PM, so perfect time to get to the hotel and crash before midnight and start the next day fresh.
YMMV, but I really dislike that timing. I can never sleep after a late night arrival in Asia. I find the late night departure from the US works much better.

From IAH, BR via TPE would IMO be the best *A option in terms of timing and comfort. The earnings are not very good. I would also seriously consider going out of alliance on EK or QR.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 17, 2019 at 5:24 pm Reason: clean-up after move; thanks for the link
Old Jun 17, 2019, 6:04 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
YMMV, but I really dislike that timing. I can never sleep after a late night arrival in Asia. I find the late night departure from the US works much better.

From IAH, BR via TPE would IMO be the best *A option in terms of timing and comfort. The earnings are not very good. I would also seriously consider going out of alliance on EK or QR.
Sure, but OP specifically wants to use this trip toward qualifying for status, and the only *A flights that earn PQD have to (ticket number starting with "016") * which tend to be priced ridiculously high.

* Earning PQM, PQS and PQD when you fly
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:12 pm

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
You are correct, UA does not fly to Bangkok. You may wish to consider EVA AIR (BR), who provide an excellent service in PE. BR IAH-TPE-BKK return would be $1583 in PE, I notice for your dates, and earns 100% miles minimum.

Edited to add: There is a possibility EVA Air FAs will go on strike soon, but likely that will be resolved by your dates of travel.
Yes, that was my original option. I'm playing with the idea of heading the other direction on Singapore. Pricing is higher but premium economy looks just a bit better from a product perspective. Any comparison between EVA & Singapore and their premium economy product?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Sure, but OP specifically wants to use this trip toward qualifying for status,
Yes I read that. I'm suggesting OP consider other options, because the ROI of airline loyalty is really not all that great these days. Not to mention that OP does not seem to care about PQD, since he's looking at SQ.

Last edited by Kacee; Jun 17, 2019 at 8:20 pm
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:28 pm

Out of curiosity, why can't UA do a JV with TG from HKG to BKK in light of this development?

Or from NRT/KIX to BKK for that matter? The NH segment is driving fare to BKK crazy — with the only other option being to connect somewhere in the mainland China.

Is that because TG's management still lives in the 90s or something?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by GRB051111
Out of curiosity, why can't UA do a JV with TG from HKG to BKK in light of this development?
UA's JV in Asia is with ANA. And ANA is a far more stable partner to have in that relationship.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GRB051111
UA doesn’t even codeshare with TG - why would they do a JV?

Though last time I did BKK-HKG on a UA-issued ticket connecting to UA back to the US (with BKK-HKG on CX), TG didn’t have a flight early enough to connect to either the ORD or EWR UA flights. I checked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.