Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As there are multi-threads on inflight service and meals, will re-focus this thread on the hard product, the seats (and things related to the seat -- pillows, pads, blankets, ...)

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Archive - United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}
Print Wikipost

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by fezzington
Same set of announcements.

You can't force a single "voice personality" across an airline -- the diction and cadence of speech are not the same for the two FAs sitting beside one another on a jumpseat.
Actually Delta was able to do this with most of their more senior cabin crew using a very measured, crisp and clear diction vs the mumbling, rushing or mispronounced style of younger crew at AA and UA and LCCs. I personally believe the airline should set a communication standard with diction training being a mandatory part of the onboarding process so everyone follows a similar style and pace.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
How Economy on Austrian is better than United Polaris

Just back from a trip that included Polaris, and 1-hour segments in Austrian Economy. The highlights:

* On Polaris, the FA says "I dunno, we have a few reds, I guess you can look at them if you want" In Austrian economy, the FA says "We have a Riesling, which is a little sweeter, but you should really try the Gruner Weltliner, which is our Austrian specialty; and if you don't like it, I come back and give you the Riesling."

* On Polaris, the FA whisks away my sparkling water glass over an hour before landing, with no offer of a re-fill. In Austrian economy, the FA stops by TWICE to re-fill in a 1-hour flight.

* On Polaris, the service seems to be centered around minimizing FA time in the cabin and maximizing time in the galley and rest quarters. So the the meal is totally rushed through, with FAs dumping entrees on people's trays before they are done with appetizers. And then whisking things away before pax are done with them. The arrival meal is delivered 45 minutes before landing (!), so nobody has time to eat before they whisk things away for descent. On Austrian, when the flight was turned around at the destination, instead of sitting down, the FAs got up and did a whole additional service. That was in economy!

Last edited by porciuscato; Jun 11, 2019 at 9:15 am
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Unfortunately, I don't think US carriers are trying to be more service oriented. They can't compete there. The strategy seems to be offer a flat bed and decent bedding.
boss315 and east_west like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
In Polaris yesterday, I got the water glass whisked away at > 1 hour before landing. When I asked for more water, I was told "I can bring you another bottle."
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: UA GS (1MM), DL Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Avis CC
Flat bed >>> Economy period. Sorry you didn't have a great experience with the UA crew, but would you really fly transatlantic in Y over United in J? I think not.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:46 am

Meal delivered 45 min before landing is actually very nice to maximize sleep. I think it takes more effort on the FA's part to deliver the meal quickly, wrap things up, and prepare for landing.

When this happens, especially on eastbound flights where every extra half an hour of sleep is precious, I appreciate their effort very much.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by SteveHK
Flat bed >>> Economy period. Sorry you didn't have a great experience with the UA crew, but would you really fly transatlantic in Y over United in J? I think not.
I agree completely. But when the main selling point of Polaris becomes "It could be worse," that doesn't allow United to capture the revenue premium that makes those flat beds sustainable over the long run. And developing a decent service culture to accompany the beds and bedding is the least costly part of the package. If only there were effective middle management to sustain such a culture, Polaris could be a real money-maker. But it seems that Oscar's minions have talked him out of trying too hard in this direction.
Artpen100 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by transportprof
that doesn't allow United to capture the revenue premium that makes those flat beds sustainable over the long run.
Sure it does - and it has - Untied is doing more than fine in profitability. Until the next recession when OPM traffic is down again and they cant sell any premium seats.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:10 pm

My TATL experience in Polaris was outstanding. Very attentive service by the FAs, even in the wee hours over the Atlantic. Every bit the quality that we've had on OS and LH in J class. I even thought the hard product on the UA 767 was better than the LH A380.
SteveHK likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
Sure it does - and it has - Untied is doing more than fine in profitability. Until the next recession when OPM traffic is down again and they cant sell any premium seats.
I did qualify my claim, by adding "over the long run". And if the strategy to do more than fine in profitability is to cut expenses, for example by removing one FA from the Polaris cabin on many aircraft, the opportunity to earn more by doing better is sacrificed to the "less is more" mentality that leads toward the LCC business model, without the truly lower cost structure to make that viable over the long run, either.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
IME the UA in-flight service quality (international Polaris, domestic F, domestic Y) is as variable and predictable as the weather. I've had phenomenal service in Polaris, I've had abysmal service in Polaris, with the same being said for domestic premium service. I go in with the mindset that the service will be middling at best, and I am pleasantly surprised when service is great and not at all surprised when it's subpar. For long haul, I care about sleeping, so the less time the FAs spend in the cabin, the better.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 12:35 pm

Ha. I wonder if the average passenger on Austrian is better than the counterpart on UA.
Last week, I was turned-off by a fellow front cabin UA passenger who was giving the FA a hard time for confusing chardonnays, cabernets, reds and whites. geesh. The Austrians probably aren't oenologists either, but their culture probably pours a lot more. And then there's the trend of UA passengers coughing and sneezing with the laziest efforts to cover their mouths... yuck.

I am aware that the Germans still have "finishing schools" for hospitality. The bar may be quite high in some of those continental places.

Funny UA front cabin humor by Tim Gard:

Last edited by Long Zhiren; Jun 11, 2019 at 12:44 pm
Old Jun 11, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are not doing polaris right.
Eat in the lounge, sleep on the plane.
seanp7, In2ishn and narvik like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
That's great advice when departing from a hub with a Polaris lounge. But what about DEN or IAD, let alone the outstations in Europe, India, China, etc.?
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by GRB051111
Meal delivered 45 min before landing is actually very nice to maximize sleep. I think it takes more effort on the FA's part to deliver the meal quickly, wrap things up, and prepare for landing. When this happens, especially on eastbound flights where every extra half an hour of sleep is precious, I appreciate their effort very much.
I agree with that generally. Unfortunately, its not so great on a Westbound daytime flight.

Originally Posted by azepine00
That was the plan. But it was thwarted by late connecting flights. In any case, the Polaris lounge is way over-rated in this forum. While they got off to a good start with Chicago, the fare at SFO and LAX is distinctly mediocre. The restaurant is extremely limited with tiny portions and only works if you have a lot of time to kill. The buffet is a joke and the wine selection started good and has gotten progressively worse. Lately, I've been going to the Amex lounge, where the food and wine are both much better.
UA_Flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.