Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 2, 2016, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
As there are multi-threads on inflight service and meals, will re-focus this thread on the hard product, the seats (and things related to the seat -- pillows, pads, blankets, ...)

United website - Explore: http://view.ceros.com/united/polaris-business-class/p/1
from UA's Facebook stream
Only customers traveling in United Polaris business class or United Polaris Global First on international flights and customers in Star Alliance international first or business class cabins on flights longer than six hours will have access to the United Polaris Lounge.
Official Polaris Lounge Access Rules are here: Polaris Lounge Access Rules

United Polaris Business and Polaris First pax may access the Polaris lounge at connecting airports and their final destination within 24 hours of departure or arrival.

*A international J and F pax may only access the Polaris lounge at the departure airport. For purposes of Polaris lounge access, Canada, the Caribbean, Central America, and Guam are excluded from the definition of "international."

Seat Chart.

Press release: http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300278706.html

NEW YORK, June 2, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- With the aspiration of making weary business travel a relic of the past, United Airlines today unveiled its all-new United Polaris business class, the airline's most significant product transformation in more than a decade, featuring a reimagined, sleep-enhancing, departure-to-landing experience for intercontinental travelers.

Named after the North Star, United Polaris is the shining new star of business class travel that flyers can turn to for a tranquil and restful journey.

"United Polaris will change the game in international business travel with an exceptional level of relaxation and comfort throughout our customers' journeys," said Oscar Munoz, president and CEO of United. "This completely reconceived experience exemplifies the new spirit of United and the innovation, excitement and operational momentum across our airline."

Path-Breaking Design

In setting out to create a transformative business class experience, United chose to outfit its widebody fleet with a custom-designed, exclusive-to-United seat, rather than select an option already in the marketplace. Designed in partnership with Acumen Design Associates and PriestmanGoode and manufactured by Zodiac Seats United Kingdom, each United Polaris seat will offer direct access to the aisle, 180-degree flat-bed recline and up to 6 foot 6 inches of bed space.

Crafted as individual, forward-facing, suite-like pods, each customer's personal suite will feature a "Do Not Disturb" sign, mood lighting, one-touch lumbar support, several storage areas, multiple surfaces for simultaneous working and dining, a 16-inch high-definition entertainment screen and, for seats in the center of the cabin, electronic privacy dividers. Complementing the new seats, United and PriestmanGoode have also conceived an all-new look for the United Polaris cabins.

In rethinking the international business class experience, United conducted more than 12,000 hours of research, and sleep emerged as the single most important priority for international business class travelers. United Polaris' path-breaking design and sleep-enhancing focus was inspired and informed by insights from hundreds of customers and employees, inflight product simulations and more than 100 product evaluations.

Sleep-Enticing Amenities

In addition to the sleep-enticing United Polaris personal suites, several other amenities were designed with our customers' sleep in mind.

In a first-of-its-kind partnership, United has worked with leading luxury specialty store Saks Fifth Avenue for custom-designed bedding. All designed to provide the best sleep in the sky, the new bedding collection will feature plush duvets, lightweight day-blankets and a large and small pillow for each United Polaris customer. In addition, mattress cushions will be available upon request.

Slippers will be available on all flights, and customized United Polaris pajamas will be available by request on flights longer than 12 hours**. Flyers will also be able to request a gel-cooled pillow. New amenity kits will feature ergonomically designed eye shades, calming lavender pillow mist and additional products from Soho House & Co.'s Cowshed Spa.

With the introduction of United Polaris, the airline intends to donate tens of thousands of pillows, blankets and other inflight service items to Fisher House Foundation, which United and its employees have long supported.

Elevated Dining Experience

Upon boarding their flight, each United Polaris customer will be welcomed with a pre-departure beverage of his or her choice and gourmet chocolate. While in the air, customers will enjoy regionally influenced in-flight menus updated seasonally, developed in partnership with The Trotter Project and its critically recognized chefs, including Bill Kim of acclaimed Chicago restaurants Urbanbelly, bellyQ and Belly Shack.

The airline will offer an upgraded wine experience, with the highest-quality options curated exclusively by United's Master Sommelier. Inflight service will also include made-to-order signature ice cream sundaes, a dessert cart with a variety of petit dessert options, chocolate truffles and wine flights. On daytime flights longer than eight hours and on all flights longer than 12 hours, hot mid-flight snacks such as lobster macaroni and cheese will be available.

Raising The Bar With United Polaris Business Class Lounges

United will also open an exclusive portfolio of United Polaris business class lounges in nine locations around the world – the only lounge of its kind offered by a U.S. airline to business class customers – that will feature custom-designed chairs, private daybeds, spa-like showers and chef-inspired hot meals served in a boutique restaurant setting so customers can refresh and dine before boarding their planes. Premium sparkling wines and spirits, refreshing snacks and bottled water will also be offered.

The first new United Polaris lounge will open at Chicago O'Hare International Airport on Dec. 1, 2016. Lounges in eight other locations – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Houston, New York/Newark, Washington Dulles, Tokyo Narita, Hong Kong and London Heathrow – will follow in 2017.

United Polaris Introduction

United will begin to introduce United Polaris on Dec. 1, 2016, with the new inflight food and beverage experience, new custom bedding from Saks Fifth Avenue, new amenity kits and the new United Polaris lounge in Chicago. The United Polaris business class seat will first take flight in December on Boeing 777-300ER aircraft and subsequently on Boeing 787-10 and Airbus A350-1000 aircraft, as well as on Boeing 767-300 and 777-200 retrofits.

United Polaris will serve business class customers flying the U.S. airline industry's most global route network, reaching more than 330 destinations in more than 50 countries.

More information on the United Polaris business class can be found at united.com/Polaris.

[From [email][email protected] 11/15/2016]
Starting December 1, 2016, United Polaris Business Class service will replace United BusinessFirst service on international flights, and United Polaris Global First service will replace the current United Global First service.

Between 2017 to 2019 eight additional United Polaris lounges will open at EWR, HKG, IAD, IAH, LAX, LHR, NRT and SFO. We do not have the exact opening dates at this time. A scheduling announcement will be forthcoming.
** Flights with pajama service (for both directions)
SFO - ICN, PEK, PVG, HGH, XIV, TPE, AKL, HKG, CTU, SYD, TLV, SIN
EWR - NRT, PEK, DEL, BOM, HKG, PVG
ORD - NRT, PEK PVG, HKG
LAX - PVG, SYD, MEL, SIN
IAD - NRT, PEK
IAH - NRT, SYD
(from United Twitter feed https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CyjFHZLW...jpg&name=large

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}

Archive - United Polaris - New Business Class seats & inflight service {Archive}
Print Wikipost

United Polaris - Business Class seats -- hard product comments

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by goodeats21
How tall?
I am 6'1", and slept OK on Austrian.

Do you have same issues on the new Polaris seats? I find them a bit "cramped", with no place to put legs when bent.
Yeah, I have the same problem with the tray table but am able to work around it by positioning my legs to the opposite side of the footwell, and I always sit in the longer bulkhead seats.

On OS, I was never able to get comfortable with my legs extended, so I always had my legs bent upward, preventing me from sleeping soundly--I am sure that I dozed some.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 7:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zombietooth
I can't even sleep in Austrian J-class seats because they are uncomfortable for tall pax. Their dining service in J is excellent but, everything else considered, I'd rather get some rest, and UA wins hands down in that regard. UA's J dinner service is, in general, abysmal, but that is not what I am buying when I fly UA.
I really dislike the Vantage seat, and in my (limited) experience OS does not do a great job keeping the cabin clean, either (certainly nothing like LX or LH). OS food and service are fantastic but for an overnight long-haul, I would also pick UA's 77W or Polarized 772.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I really dislike the Vantage seat, and in my (limited) experience OS does not do a great job keeping the cabin clean, either (certainly nothing like LX or LH). OS food and service are fantastic but for an overnight long-haul, I would also pick UA's 77W or Polarized 772.
I just got back from my first A346 flight ever on LH. A 15 year old airframe and the C cabin was immaculate. Cleanest lavs I've ever seen.
seanp7 and Plane-is-home like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:30 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by halls120
I just got back from my first A346 flight ever on LH. A 15 year old airframe and the C cabin was immaculate. Cleanest lavs I've ever seen.
LX is same with their 340s. I'm not a fan of the old Vantage seats or ancient A/V, but the cabins are absolutely pristine.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
LX is same with their 340s. I'm not a fan of the old Vantage seats or ancient A/V, but the cabins are absolutely pristine.
That's a point I missed in my previous post. I just flew in a United 787-10 that was already filthy. How is that even possible?

On other flights, I can't count the times I've sat there trying not to look at the old garlic bread crust and other *unidentified* food items wedged between the seat and the fuselage. What's more surprising is I see this on planes that have been at the airport overnight. I mean the plane's there for 10 or 12 hours. You can't be bothered to vacuum it? LX, LT, Air Asia, HK, -- practically every other airline manages to clean their planes. Not United. I'm only surprised that they haven't had a serious lice or bedbug outbreak at some point.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by porciuscato
That's a point I missed in my previous post. I just flew in a United 787-10 that was already filthy. How is that even possible?

On other flights, I can't count the times I've sat there trying not to look at the old garlic bread crust and other *unidentified* food items wedged between the seat and the fuselage. What's more surprising is I see this on planes that have been at the airport overnight. I mean the plane's there for 10 or 12 hours. You can't be bothered to vacuum it? LX, LT, Air Asia, HK, -- practically every other airline manages to clean their planes. Not United. I'm only surprised that they haven't had a serious lice or bedbug outbreak at some point.
Sorry, I wish you hadn't highjacked my point to support yours

My initial point was that OS's aircraft are not particularly clean. Recently flew AF long-haul, and their cleaning level is identical to UA's (not so great).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 13, 2019 at 1:11 pm Reason: discuss the issue; not the poster(s)
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Polaris service continues to deteriorate and disappoint. Went over on 999 EWR/BRU. Sat at gate for 90 minutes waiting on luggage and nothing was offered by the crew in way of PDB. Completely disappeared. Once in the air, service was numbingly slow and- i have never seen this- there was not a single can of tonic water on the flight. Food was beyond inedible- tiny dry piece of salmon in what looked liked regurgitated dog food, wilted salad, something that looked like pemmican as an appetizer- and crew was downright surly, rude, and angry. Said they are understaffed and not supported by management. Every penny counts said one And the seat is just OK with not enough storage or extra space so hard product’s attributes dwarfed by downright cheapness of soft product. But at least Oscar makes a cameo in the new safety spiel. United is well on its way to discrediting its Polaris brand
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by porciuscato
Easy. Keeping it clean costs money, and that isn't what UA is concerned about.

Here's another aspect of service UA doesn't care about. After boarding and before the PDB service, the FA responsible for our section of the cabin stopped by to introduce herself. Purser followed. PDBs were delivered quickly, and then we departed. When the FA came by to ask for our menu choices, no "what is your second choice if we don't have your first choice" nonsense you get on almost every UA flight. The food was OK - not as good as OS, but much better than Polaris, which has gone downhill in the last year. Service was unobtrusive, efficient, and appreciated. Before we landed, FA stopped by to ask us if we were pleased with our flight. Seriously, when has that ever happened on UA?

A week later, we arrived at the DTW Senator lounge, and it made all other outstation lounges look shabby in comparison. A wide range of food and drink - better than LH at IAD - and the usual comfortable seating. Boarded the aircraft - again spotless - and the crew followed the same routine. Say what you will about Lufthansa's domestic service, but their international front cabin experience is exceptional.
Artpen100 likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:47 am

I only have one experience with Polaris. Anyone know how it compares to Delta One? I like that you can preorder meals.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've only flown Polaris once, and I was absolutely shocked at how much worse the service was than domestic F. It's like two totally different airlines. The difference in level of effort between the FAs is staggering.
porciuscato likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 11:56 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by zitsky
I only have one experience with Polaris. Anyone know how it compares to Delta One? I like that you can preorder meals.
I just moved a UA and AA client over to Delta One with the new A359 door-suites and I was told the service and product were night-and-day better than anything they ever had on United or AA....and no, it wasn't "just the door".

Polaris was a great product when it was first released - but since Oscar gave any authority to Kirby, the product, service and overall experience have been nothing short of decimated. I am traveling back to Taiwan next month and decided to go via YVR on Air Canada rather than waste my money on Polaris again. At least I can set my expectations accordingly and receive good value for what I paid. I will miss the Polaris Lounge, which is still a great feature, but my waistline will appreciate the break, so I'll call it it a wash.

Lord help us when Oscar steps down and the idiots on the board push Kirby into the top position - we will literally be flying on Spirit.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Kirby rapidly assuming Smisek-like proportions and expectations among customers and employees- and everyone who travels “J” sees evidence of his penny-pinching, cents over dollars approach
Old Jun 21, 2019, 4:43 pm

Blogs are reporting UA is replacing the pajamas. Unsurprisingly, this is NOT an upgrade.

United is Replacing the Pajamas in Business and the New Ones Look Awful

UA is certainly giving me fewer and fewer reasons to spend money with them.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:01 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Blogs are reporting UA is replacing the pajamas. Unsurprisingly, this is NOT an upgrade.

United is Replacing the Pajamas in Business and the New Ones Look Awful

UA is certainly giving me fewer and fewer reasons to spend money with them.
Nooo! Not another "enhancement" we'll hate!

Well I hope they'll at least stock more than 5 PJs per flight!
Old Jun 21, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I've only flown Polaris once, and I was absolutely shocked at how much worse the service was than domestic F. It's like two totally different airlines. The difference in level of effort between the FAs is staggering.
This is a bit of a shocker since I consider their domestic F product to be horrible. I have flown Polaris now 4 times, while not crazy impressed (I like the lounges) it seemed definitely better than the near horrific domestic F product. I now fly AS F when I want to do a domestic run an guarantee my self F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.