Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Transferring To/From UA Flights at LHR T1" Thread [2012 and Onwards]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Transferring To/From UA Flights at LHR T1" Thread [2012 and Onwards]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM

What's the current layout/transfer process in LHR for *alliance. Arriving on the UA afternoon arrival from SFO, connect to Aegean, would 90 minutes be possible if no delays? Not sure if we are Term 1 or 2 these days......
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
What's the current layout/transfer process in LHR for *alliance. Arriving on the UA afternoon arrival from SFO, connect to Aegean, would 90 minutes be possible if no delays? Not sure if we are Term 1 or 2 these days......
UA and A3 are both in T1. Just follow the signs for Flight Connections after you arrive from SFO. Stay left at the immigration area and you will go through security and find yourself back in the main T1 departures area. 90 mins should be plenty of time, assuming you are on one PNR?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
UA and A3 are both in T1. Just follow the signs for Flight Connections after you arrive from SFO. Stay left at the immigration area and you will go through security and find yourself back in the main T1 departures area. 90 mins should be plenty of time, assuming you are on one PNR?

Thanks
OOPS, won't be one PNR. So that implies I should allow extra time for checkin- I'm UA 1k - will they interline a bag for me to A3?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Thanks
OOPS, won't be one PNR. So that implies I should allow extra time for checkin- I'm UA 1k - will they interline a bag for me to A3?
UA should interline at SFO -- make sure you have your A3 PNR details.
At LHR, go to the *A transfer desk (in the departures area outside the *A Lounge), and if you haven't already checked in, you should be able to do so there.
Old May 6, 2012, 1:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Terminal 3 to 1

I'm looking to get a flight that is SAS from Oslo to LHR and then LHR to SFO on United.

SAS is at Terminal 3, UA at Terminal 1...so I have to transfer and the time between landing and departure is 1.5 hours. Is that cutting it too close?
Old May 6, 2012, 2:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinerd
I'm looking to get a flight that is SAS from Oslo to LHR and then LHR to SFO on United.

SAS is at Terminal 3, UA at Terminal 1...so I have to transfer and the time between landing and departure is 1.5 hours. Is that cutting it too close?
The LHR site is a terrific resource (here's the guide for T3>T1) http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...-international
MCT is 75 mins. So your 90 should be fine (assuming you're on one PNR)?
Old May 6, 2012, 2:55 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
The LHR site is a terrific resource (here's the guide for T3>T1) http://www.heathrowairport.com/heath...-international
MCT is 75 mins. So your 90 should be fine (assuming you're on one PNR)?
I did a similar transfer this past Tuesday between Terminal 1 and 4 which I think is a somewhat greater distance. You can use the airside bus link but you will still need to go through a security check point which can be very easy or can have longish lines depending upon time of day. The bus theoretically runs about every 8 minutes. My timing was as follows:
10 min walk from gate to the bus departure point.
Waited 14 minutes for the bus to arrive
8 minute bus ride
2 minutes to get through security
5 minute walk to the gate. If your flight is on time, you should have no problems
Old May 6, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by nigos
I did a similar transfer this past Tuesday between Terminal 1 and 4 which I think is a somewhat greater distance. You can use the airside bus link but you will still need to go through a security check point which can be very easy or can have longish lines depending upon time of day. The bus theoretically runs about every 8 minutes. My timing was as follows:
10 min walk from gate to the bus departure point.
Waited 14 minutes for the bus to arrive
8 minute bus ride
2 minutes to get through security
5 minute walk to the gate. If your flight is on time, you should have no problems
Thanks both! Yes this would be on one PNR. Well...each person would be on one PNR. I don't have enough miles for 2 tickets so my traveling partner and I would each be buying a ticket.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA GS & Marriott Titanium
Hi all. Looking at a flight that will connect from T1 on LX to T4 on UA with 1:20 between flights. I know the LHR website says you need 1:30 for this to be safe. My bags will be checked through.

2 questions:

a) Has anyone not been able to make this connect in less than 1:20 if all on time?

b) Is this a legal ticket for UA to issue?

TIA!
Old Jul 14, 2012, 12:38 am

Programs: UA Plat 2.2MM, AA nobody, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by ajhun9
Hi all. Looking at a flight that will connect from T1 on LX to T4 on UA with 1:20 between flights. I know the LHR website says you need 1:30 for this to be safe. My bags will be checked through.

2 questions:

a) Has anyone not been able to make this connect in less than 1:20 if all on time?

b) Is this a legal ticket for UA to issue?

TIA!
a) Tight but do-able. If you're at all late coming in though then it starts to get a bit hairy. I'd have said the connect time for any terminal to terminal is manageable in 1 hour with luck.

b) They can issue what they want regardless of what LHR recommend. They are then responsible for the misconnect if it happens. (Though the booking engine might be thinking these flights are co-located!)
Old Jul 20, 2012, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
UA to BA connection in LHR

In September I am flying UA SFO-LHR and connecting to BA for a flight LHR-GLA. My connection time of 2h 45min seems to be okay if no delays. However, not sure if I can check my luggage through from SFO to GLA or will have to collect luggage at LHR and re-check with BA. My UA and BA flights are booked on separate tickets. Very grateful for any advice/information. Thanks, Iain
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:03 am

Programs: UA Plat 2.2MM, AA nobody, IHG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by IainC
In September I am flying UA SFO-LHR and connecting to BA for a flight LHR-GLA. My connection time of 2h 45min seems to be okay if no delays. However, not sure if I can check my luggage through from SFO to GLA or will have to collect luggage at LHR and re-check with BA. My UA and BA flights are booked on separate tickets. Very grateful for any advice/information. Thanks, Iain
United may check the bag through, but on separate tickets BA may leave it in LHR. Their stated policy on non-OW tickets is only to interline where there is a single ticket combining the BA and non-BA bits. So it depends how quickly you want the bag. BA will eventually deliver it to Glasgow, but it might be a day late... It doesn't take much longer to pick up the bag and go that route than the straight connect to be honest - Heathrow is slow either way!
Old Jul 23, 2012, 3:11 am

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by OtleyFlyer
United may check the bag through, but on separate tickets BA may leave it in LHR. Their stated policy on non-OW tickets is only to interline where there is a single ticket combining the BA and non-BA bits. So it depends how quickly you want the bag. BA will eventually deliver it to Glasgow, but it might be a day late... It doesn't take much longer to pick up the bag and go that route than the straight connect to be honest - Heathrow is slow either way!
Never ceases to amaze me how screwed up these airlines are for heavens sake, I am spending money on their airline and they are going to screw me because I am connecting from a non-OW flight - surely there are laws against this unscrupulous practice? In any event, prior to the UA-merger both UA and BA flights were under the same PNR, but then came the dreaded switch to the mother-of-all screw-ups SHARES and the non-UA (BA) flights disappeared from the intinerary!

Something tells me that this is going to be an eventful experience...
Old Jan 22, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
UA to Virgin or British Airways at Heathrow?

Flying SFO-LHR on UA in April. Planning to buy another ticket to fly onward to EDI. Since we will have to change terminals, is it better to try BA or VS? How much time should I allow? There are connecting flights that leave 2+ hrs later, will that be enough time?
We are checking bags. We will fly Business. I recall just going through "transiting passengers" route, not having to pick up my bags.But will BA or VS allow us to check through to EDI? From previous posts it seems not.
Also, looking at the VS sunday 6:40am flight EDI to LHR, arriving 8:10am LHR. Is there eniugh time to transfer to the 10:35am UA flight?

Thanks

Last edited by mmack; Jan 22, 2013 at 5:50 pm Reason: change VA to VS
Old Jan 22, 2013, 5:34 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mmack
Flying SFO-LHR on UA in April. Planning to buy another ticket to fly onward to EDI. Since we will have to change terminals, is it better to try BA or VA? How much time should I allow? There are connecting flights that leave 2+ hrs later, will that be enough time?
We are checking bags. We will fly Business. I recall just going through "transiting passengers" route, not having to pick up my bags.But will BA or VA allow us to check through to EDI? From previous posts it seems not.
Also, looking at the VA sunday 6:40am flight EDI to LHR, arriving 8:10am LHR. Is there eniugh time to transfer to the 10:35am UA flight?

Thanks
By purchasing two separate tickets and traveling on different PNRs, you open yourself up to the inbound flight possibly being delayed and then you are at the mercy of the following carrier (BA or VS in this case) who may well ask you to purchase a new (and expensive) ticket.
If your inbound UA flight is on-time, then 2+ hours to connect should be fine.
UA will likely tag your bags through to EDI if you show the check-in agent your BA/VS ticket.
However, BA will definitely not do it on the return.
Also, on the return, 2.5 hours should be fine to make the connection even if you have to pick up your bags and re-check with UA.
Follow the signs for "Arrivals/Transfers" ... stay to the very left as you enter the immigration area.
You will see a sign "Transfers UK/Rep of Ireland" ... go there ... you have your passport examined ... then you go through and have your picture taken and are given a corresponding bar code sticker (Make sure you do this. If you don't, security will send you back to do it and you may miss your flight!). After having your pic taken, walk around to security and go through the X-ray check. Walk out into the departures hall and check with BA/VS transfer desk and head to your next domestic gate. You will go through another photo matching check at the end of the shopping area (see previous reference to having pic taken) and then you're out to the gate area(s).

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Jan 22, 2013 at 5:40 pm Reason: Added arrivals/transfers info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.