Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated LHR connection time/logistics

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2017, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Consolidated LHR connection time/logistics

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2019, 1:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by ani90
Well I suspect OP is chasing the PQPs and PQS that we all claim we are not interested in to maintain elite status on that MP program (or other star alliance program) that we all claim we will abandon to become free agents. Otherwise why else would someone going from SFO-VRN be going SFO-YYZ-LHR-FRA-VRN? Add to that the risky proposition of separate tickets; one misconnect and whole thing is blown. Transfer to LGW may certainly be preferred strategy and could get one to VRN earlier or at similar time (but without PQP).

As I said in parallel thread it is a fallacy to think people are going to walk away from MP in any other than insignificant numbers or that people will stop chasing high elite status. The rat status race continues....

I'd book several other flights for 2020 so this would be one shot to see if I still qualify under these new rules.

Yeah I am kind of going out of my way. I don't have to take *A from LHR to VRN (planning to return from SZG) but I didn't see that other airlines had better options.

I haven't thought about going to LGW though.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 6:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by wco81
...connect on a separate ticket...
There is no connection on a separate ticket. A point of precision perhaps, but an important one.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 8:18 am

I have a connection at LHR, arriving from IAH on UA and departing on EI to DUB. I have 1:25 scheduled for the connection, which I'm not worried about given how many LHR-DUB flights run each day.

I'm traveling to in J on UA, so I get United Club access as an arriving Polaris passenger. What are the chances I'll have time for breakfast (or even a shower) in the lounge with a 7:25AM arrival and 8:50AM departure? I assume this basically depends on B to B transit security being open?

My understanding is that my EI fare doesn't include lounge access, so the United Club is my only option... Unless I exit landside and go to the arrivals lounge.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 28, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by aindfan
I have 1:25 scheduled for the connection, which I'm not worried about given how many LHR-DUB flights run each day.

My understanding is that my EI fare doesn't include lounge access, so the United Club is my only option... Unless I exit landside and go to the arrivals lounge.

If not under pressure of time and no cost implications why not take the next flight to DUB at 9.50 then you go to United Arrivals lounge and shower breakfast etc then make your way through security at t-30. Otherwise will be a bit of a hurry as I assume EI leaves from 2A so will be a lot of time spent walking in the (maximum) 1 hour of disposable time you have with a 1:25 connection.
lhrsfo and aindfan like this.
Old Nov 28, 2019, 2:33 pm

Error
Old Feb 23, 2020, 3:20 pm

Programs: United GS, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Gold
Hi - I have a very tight international connection connection this week at LHR Terminal 2:

-> Arriving from Stockholm ARN on SK527 @ 5pm
-> Departing to EWR on UA921 @ 6pm

My travel offices says that it’s “ok” but frankly it seems unreasonable to me.

Does anyone have guidance for me on feasibility here assuming SK527 is on-time? Do I have to clear customs within terminal 2 between the SK and UA flights? Or is it as simple as dashing between gates within the terminal? And then there is the whole process of a US-bound flight where I have to get a colonoscopy at the gate to confirm that my bags have been with me, etc....

I’m a very very regular flyer (United GS) and am flying business class... Just looking for either reassurance that it’s feasible, or a “heck no” go get an alternative booked right now.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by ws07
Hi - I have a very tight international connection connection this week at LHR Terminal 2:

Does anyone have guidance for me on feasibility here assuming SK527 is on-time? Do I have to clear customs within terminal 2 between the SK and UA flights? Or is it as simple as dashing between gates within the terminal? And then there is the whole process of a US-bound flight where I have to get a colonoscopy at the gate to confirm that my bags have been with me, etc....

I’m a very very regular flyer (United GS) and am flying business class... Just looking for either reassurance that it’s feasible, or a “heck no” go get an alternative booked right now.
Certainly feasible if the SK flight arrives on-time. You'll have to re-clear security (but not customs) at T2, which the few times that I've done that, it hasn't been crowded. The SK flight will likely arrive at the A gates and the UA flight will leave from the B gates, but this is no more than a 10-15 min walk between the two.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 5:36 pm

I think too risky a connection. Even a 10 min delay could misconnect you and keep you in London for the night (unless you have option of rebooking onnBA or VS). It can be 25 to 30 mins from plane to plane, possibly longer if security or deplaning delays and if UA flight is from furthest gate.
Old Feb 23, 2020, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
This is right at the generic I:I connection time for connections within LHR terminal 2. As a UA GS they may come looking for you as yu disembark your SK flight ... If on single ticket where I had no other options that fit my schedule, I'd probably chance it.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:11 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Never connected from UA to BA previously. I know BA is in Terminal 5. I am arriving on the 2.05pm from SFO. How long should I allow to connect from Terminal 2 to Terminal 5. I recognize I can only transfer land side. I will have access to a Priority Pass lounge. I am connecting (separate ticket) to MAN flight. I was thinking the 6.30pm flight should give me enough time.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 12:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Never connected from UA to BA previously. I know BA is in Terminal 5. I am arriving on the 2.05pm from SFO. How long should I allow to connect from Terminal 2 to Terminal 5. I recognize I can only transfer land side. I will have access to a Priority Pass lounge. I am connecting (separate ticket) to MAN flight. I was thinking the 6.30pm flight should give me enough time.
You don't have to transfer land side (unless you have checked luggage) although it may still be quicker if you have e-gate access. I haven't done this particular transfer landside, but there is a T2 to T5 shuttle bus which I've taken before, although the wait can be 15-20 min, plus another 15 min ride between terminals. Add in the long walk from the B gates that the UA flight will arrive at to the shuttle waiting area, and T5 security, it could easily be around 1 hour from arrival at T2 and clearing security at T5.

If it were me, I'd give myself at least 2.5 hr for that connection to allow for delayed flight, etc.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:04 am

Programs: United 1K MM, QR Platinum
I think you'll be fine. If everything runs on time, no issue. If it is tight, this is what GS / star alliance connections were made for, to smooth (premium) passengers along their way at select airports. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

https://www.staralliance.com/en/connection-service

Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by united78
I think you'll be fine. If everything runs on time, no issue. If it is tight, this is what GS / star alliance connections were made for, to smooth (premium) passengers along their way at select airports. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

I agree. Doable but your shirt will be wet when you get on 921, OP.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by united78

I have had tight connections at quite a few of the airports listed here and not once have I witnessed this 'connection service'. The only connection service I have known is to run as fast as I can.
LondonElite likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ani90
I have had tight connections at quite a few of the airports listed here and not once have I witnessed this 'connection service'. The only connection service I have known is to run as fast as I can.
I was on UA900 from LHR last month. It was very lightly loaded and we were ready to go a good half hour early but the door remained open. About 5 minutes before departure time I saw a minibus with 5 passengers on board pull up. From overheard conversations between them and the FAs, the bus had been shuttling between three delayed inbound flights, security and then to our plane. So it does happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.