Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any Mileage Plus Members made to the Star Alliance Top 1000 Group?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2016, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sannmann
Based on the invitation letter received and also posters who have shared so far:
  1. Need to fly a minimum of 6 *A carriers to qualify
  2. Some posters have flown the 6 *A carriers but without invite. This may indicate certain flight activities threshold needs to be met.
  3. Some posters have flown a high number of flight activities on United and also meet the 6 *A carriers requirement, but still have not received an invitation. This may indicate a certain split of flight activities between the primary *A carriers and other *A carriers need to be met.
  4. It is unclear if class of service or revenue (to *A) impact the selection.
  5. It is unclear how *A keeps track of all the flight activities if one credits flights into multiple (or single) FFPs.
  6. It is unclear whether award tickets are included in the airline count.

Those who have made to the list, please share your flying pattern in this thread so we can update as needed.
Print Wikipost

Any Mileage Plus Members made to the Star Alliance Top 1000 Group?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2016, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS/4.2MM, Marriott Titanium Life, IHG Spire
Yes, I also received an invite this week to the Top 1000 Group. In terms of stats in 2015, I travelled on 10 *A carriers last year all credited to UA for a total of about 534,000 BIS miles.

My travel is pretty spread out on all continents, except for Antarctica . The *A carriers I used are the following:

UA
LH
TK
CA
SQ
SK
MS
AI
OZ
TG
Old Apr 2, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
..I think I made it to the list is because I credit all my *A activities into Mileage Plus..
Thanks for the explanation.

I guess somewhere in MP's extensive agreement, you opt out on those privacy issues and UA follows the less strict US rules, I'd guess.

I wonder if they can levy data from Euro carriers ... that'd be interesting.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 4:52 pm

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat.; BA Silver; Ma; Hilton Diamond.rriott Gold
Originally Posted by QBK
That's fascinating. Since there are a lot of *A flyers who fly more than 100K miles per year, it sounds like maybe the real barrier to entry here is flying on at least 6 *A carriers.

On the other hand, I suppose there might be a fair number of folks who hit 6 *A carriers without flying 100K miles (there are 11 members just in Europe, so you could easily get 6 with regular business travel inside Europe).

So maybe it's the small (and relatively random-looking) intersection of two much larger groups.
Exactly. In Europe it's fairly easy to naturally collect 6 airlines without trying, and unless you are gunning for HON, then no particular reason to stick to one airline (or small group in fact for HON). But it takes a bit of luck to collect a decent number of miles and at least 6 airlines.

I wonder how they order the list for those people who have at least 6 airlines? Is it just the number of miles then, or just the number of airlines (opening the possibility of getting into the top 1000 with a really small number of miles), or some weighted combination of the two? I suspect just the number of miles, but who knows.

Since their objective seems to be to have a panel of people who can give feedback about *A generally rather than one specific airline, one can see their motivation in requiring at least 6 airlines.

Does anyone own up to being in the list with less than 100k miles flown in 2015? (Actually that includes me since I had to award-accelerate my last few k :-(.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat.; BA Silver; Ma; Hilton Diamond.rriott Gold
Originally Posted by Leedsflyer

I wonder how they order the list for those people who have at least 6 airlines? Is it just the number of miles then, or just the number of airlines (opening the possibility of getting into the top 1000 with a really small number of miles), or some weighted combination of the two? I suspect just the number of miles, but who knows.
Actually just realised it can't be ordered on number of miles since not all *A programs are miles based (eg NZ). So maybe it is based on number of airlines flown, or maybe they just gave each *A partner a quota (based on their total membership?) and asked them tell them who their top members were in terms of points/miles for those who had flown 6 airlines???
Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
A *A MM would be cool, even just in name/recognition.
Flying LH/LX F TATL and NH J TPAC is just too tempting.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
NH and OZ do have those as part of their programs (plus the NH tags look quite spiffy)
Old Apr 3, 2016, 4:47 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
When is someone going to call this out as an April Fool's joke? - OK, then I will
Old Apr 3, 2016, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by sabbasolo
When is someone going to call this out as an April Fool's joke? - OK, then I will
Well the package to me was mailed out on March 23, so timing a bit out for that...
Old Apr 3, 2016, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Has anyone accepted the invitation to join the research group?

Originally Posted by Leedsflyer
Well the package to me was mailed out on March 23, so timing a bit out for that...
Mine also showed March 23 post mark.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Would that be 1MM on each *A airline? Or 1MM in one year across all *A airlines?
Old Apr 3, 2016, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I would support the *A MM recognition even if it does not come with any benefits. After seeing you suggestion, I went to my spreadsheet and calcuated my *A flying activities totals to 880K+ (including British Midland and US Airways). If there is a *A MM status, I would give all my business to non-UA *A airlines the rest of the year and make it by end of year.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 11:05 pm

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
While I am glad you made it I am glad I did not. Congrants
+1
Old Apr 4, 2016, 3:56 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
While I am glad you made it I am glad I did not. Congrants
Well to be fair, he just collects on UA ... he doesn't necessarily fly UA...

Bolding mine, that should be an FT term to begin with.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:20 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Congrats!

Impressive!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I would support the *A MM recognition even if it does not come with any benefits. After seeing you suggestion, I went to my spreadsheet and calcuated my *A flying activities totals to 880K+ (including British Midland and US Airways). If there is a *A MM status, I would give all my business to non-UA *A airlines the rest of the year and make it by end of year.
You are a 3MM+ on United, so wouldn't your *A total be well above 880K? I would think you would be at 4 or 5 Million miles on Star...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.