Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

American's New 737-800 shames United's dark and cramped 73s

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

American's New 737-800 shames United's dark and cramped 73s

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2016, 11:59 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by NeoOfTheCRS
I am on an EXP Challenge with American and flew ORD-RSW on a new 737.

The difference between United's dark, cramped 737s with no IFE (unless you bring your own and hope the Wifi is working) is incredible.

AA's new 737s offered better IFE than I have seen in some international business class cabins. A nice leather seat and a lunch entree of Filet with lobster mac and cheese.

It blew United's awful, awful, awful 737-900s out of the the water.
Fly on a pmUS Airbus narrowbody. They are as "dark" as United's 739s and no plans to add IFE to these planes, which will be in the fleet for many years to come. Good luck with your EXP challenge, and I hope you enjoy USdbaAA's version of "changes you will like".
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:57 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
A nice leather seat and a lunch entree of Filet with lobster mac and cheese.
The mac and cheese entree, which is sometimes lobster mac and cheese, is getting pretty old and doesn't always look very appetizing. Here's one from September:

Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:46 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Sure AA may have a couple of fancy new planes, however this is not most of there 737 fleet or infact most of there domestic fleet. AA may beat UA on these brand new planes, however UA beats AA on overall fleet state. Pretty much all planes delivered to AA up until 2011 (when the plane order came) have not been touched, nor are there any plans to update them (I checked) UA is at least investing in new seats (which I personally find more comfortable than any legacy carriers product) for its older planes, AA has no plans to modernize any of its older fleet. Some have streaming PAID entertainment on gogo.

To sum it up, AA beats UA on there new planes (which is very few relative to the rest of the fleet) however UA dramatically beats AA on the overall state of the fleet.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:33 am

I may be alone, but I really dislike the new AA seats that leave a massive gap between the seat backs of side by side seats as is evidenced by the picture link upthread. Not only does it unnecessarily narrow the seat, it dispenses with any sense of privacy. I always feel like the person behind me can see and read my computer, tablet screen or reading material. I know because I can do that to whoever is sitting in front of me. Further, if I'm sitting with someone, our conversation becomes immediately less private.

IIRC the upcoming new UA F seats may have a similar effect, but I haven't been on any yet to know first hand. I don't understand why this became the thing to do or what the advantage of it is in efficiency or seat design. But it sucks.

I miss the old mammoth 757 seats in this regard.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by Seby12
Sure AA may have a couple of fancy new planes, however this is not most of there 737 fleet or infact most of there domestic fleet. AA may beat UA on these brand new planes, however UA beats AA on overall fleet state. Pretty much all planes delivered to AA up until 2011 (when the plane order came) have not been touched, nor are there any plans to update them (I checked) UA is at least investing in new seats (which I personally find more comfortable than any legacy carriers product) for its older planes, AA has no plans to modernize any of its older fleet. Some have streaming PAID entertainment on gogo.

To sum it up, AA beats UA on there new planes (which is very few relative to the rest of the fleet) however UA dramatically beats AA on the overall state of the fleet.

AA has an aggressive fleet renewal strategy with about 460 planes either delivered or on order. From my perspective, an equally interesting comparison can be made of the planes being acquired. UA chooses the barest model from the manufacturer and the 737-700 acquisition, post Smisek, confirms that the strategy continues beyond his nickel and dime administration. Dark on the entertainment front (I wonder if the econo strategy extends to flight deck options like HUDs). In contrast, I flew an AA A321 from MIA to DFW yesterday..8in individual personal entertainment at each seat with a broad array of recent films. It looked brand new and the plate on door showed 8/15 parts date.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by tom911
The mac and cheese entree, which is sometimes lobster mac and cheese, is getting pretty old and doesn't always look very appetizing. Here's one from September:

The other thing to point out, the presentation is far more modern and sophisticated than the dated boring presentation that United uses.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I haven't flown that seat, nor UA's new F seat on the A320, but the AA one actually looks to be smaller than the UA one in that pic.

I'd be curious to a see a direct comparison of the two, especially in regards to seat comfort. It looks hard as a rock.
It isn't smaller, and it's quite comfortable. And the IFE works.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:52 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Give me a Super80 anyday over a 737 with IFE/leather seats/Sky Interior......but I digress.

Dark and cramped 737s on UA is an exaggeration....because for every shiny new 738 with the sky interior/personal IFE that AA has, there's a 738 that was delivered in 1999 with drop down monitors. Unless you are in F on AA, the IFE content isn't all that great; hope you don't mind swiping your credit card to see such films as Mildred Pierce, The Wizard of Oz, Hairspray, Norma Rae, Steel Magnolias, A Star is Born (perhaps I've singled out a few of the selections but overall I'm sensing a trend here).

The grass isn't greener...its just painted a different shade. Quite honestly both AA and UA are about even in the product they offer. Though I would venture to say that AA is in that "2012 merged UA funk" where basically the meals are the same, FAs are kinda grumbly, and the duct tape that's holding the entire operation is just starting to peel off.

I had a pretty good 2015 flying 95% on AA/US with a good upgrade percentage to boot. Then 2016 hit, upgrades weren't free anymore and it was costing an extra $300 in 500 mile upgrades for a RT....think I'll stick it out with UA.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by uber1K_Flyer
The other thing to point out, the presentation is far more modern and sophisticated than the dated boring presentation that United uses.
You could put that shriveled steak and overcooked mac n cheese on a solid gold plate....there isn't anything modern or sophisticated about it!

Yes I agree that the blue lined tray with white china (basically the exact shapes /design as the CO days minus the pattern) is dated. But *lately* it seems that UA has more consistent/quality food and AA is still dealing with the inconsistencies of galley configs/ovens etc.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable

Check out a picture at from the viewfromthewing

It does look much better than the "dark" 73x .. which seem to show up in BOS more often than not
Old Mar 31, 2016, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by dranzg
AA is using their profits from cheap oil wisely with upgrading fleet..
And I'd argue that UA has also been using that money wisely. Better chow in the clubs and improvements to the free beer, upgraded food on board, FRESHPOO soon to be history!!, now if they'd only do something about the wine. Fewer RJs.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JerseyCityS
The huge numbers of UA's planes that are "dark" is extremely frustrating. I can't stand it.
My God, the humanity!!! How did we ever survive flying in the 1960s, 70s, and 80s?
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
I don't like fat dividers.

I would rather have another 3 to 4 inches of seat width.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
I haven't flown that seat, nor UA's new F seat on the A320, but the AA one actually looks to be smaller than the UA one in that pic.

I'd be curious to a see a direct comparison of the two, especially in regards to seat comfort. It looks hard as a rock.
They are exactly the same seat. But, the UA version has no IFE. Cushioning isn't a barcalounger but, it's not church pew either, more of a European style. The best part is with the articulating seat cushion/seat back recline the window pax can still get out when the seat in front of them is reclined.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, SPG Plat100, Hyatt Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
A couple differences.

I've flown the new 738 (and pmAA A321s) and while they are definitely ahead of UA in F, they aren't as nice in Y. Nearly all the programming you would want to watch on the AVOD requires some fee vs. Free PDE on United, and the seats aren't that comfortable either.

I haven't flown in the new F on United, but I feel that the seats are similar, as the seat pan slides forward when reclining, which is how all of the 738 seats are on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.