Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

American's New 737-800 shames United's dark and cramped 73s

Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat

I am on an EXP Challenge with American and flew ORD-RSW on a new 737.

The difference between United's dark, cramped 737s with no IFE (unless you bring your own and hope the Wifi is working) is incredible.

AA's new 737s offered better IFE than I have seen in some international business class cabins. A nice leather seat and a lunch entree of Filet with lobster mac and cheese.

It blew United's awful, awful, awful 737-900s out of the the water.

Check out a picture at from the viewfromthewing

Well done AA. I know the America West crowd running AA will put a stop to this sort of amenity pronto, but it was truly refreshing to see a premium domestic F class short haul product like nothing I have experienced before in the US.

Sorry UA, but domestic premium class like i experienced earlier this month was the equivalent of sitting in the lav and eating shoe leather based on what AA offered on their new 737.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:30 pm

And the point of this thread is?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
UA serves lobster mac n cheez
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA-Premier Platinum, Presidential Plus
Good Point Neo, AA is really setting the bar high on domestic hard product, UA is trying to catch up, maybe their way of doing so will be moving towards the 737-700 to replace the small CRJ's.

AA is using their profits from cheap oil wisely with upgrading fleet..
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
I haven't flown that seat, nor UA's new F seat on the A320, but the AA one actually looks to be smaller than the UA one in that pic.

I'd be curious to a see a direct comparison of the two, especially in regards to seat comfort. It looks hard as a rock.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
UAL obviously went a different route than AA/DL in terms of IFE on the narrowbody/domestic fleet. It's unclear whether pax are actually willing to pay a premium for embedded IFE on short haul domestic routes, but there is no question that AA/DL win over UA by a long shot in terms of perception and optics on their newest equipment.

Even on brand-new 739ERs, with Sky Interior and new seat covers, the lack of seatback IFE still prompts complaints from passengers (just listen, you'll hear them) who have may different expectations.

Hey, at least PDE is "coming" to the 737 fleet! Of course, it's been "coming" for years... maybe next quarter, or the one after that.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 9:51 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
OP, you're comparing a brand new hard product to one that's past it's prime and will be replaced in the near future. Of course AA's is better, UA's cabin update is coming and it looks just as impressive!
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
Hey, at least PDE is "coming" to the 737 fleet! Of course, it's been "coming" for years... maybe next quarter, or the one after that.
+1. By the time UA installs power and PDE on those dark 739s, it'll be time to retire those planes. It's almost been 3 years of "coming soon" if anyone is counting.

AA has been coming out with those newer planes for awhile which gives them a head start (to replace the MDs?). They look like they are rapidly becoming a fleet with a (good) consistent product though.

I know the logic is that PDE is the future but atleast give 1 option (ideally more) in terms of IFE when the plane comes out the assembly line cause, unless if the mods happen right after, then you will just never know when the install going to happen.

Last edited by edcho; Mar 30, 2016 at 10:08 pm
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Even on brand-new 739ERs, with Sky Interior and new seat covers, the lack of seatback IFE still prompts complaints from passengers (just listen, you'll hear them) who have may different expectations.
Yeah folks can talk all they like about PDE as the future, etc., but the reality is that people have an irrational attraction for shiny new video screens. You can jam them into a Y seat with 30 inch pitch, but if there's state-of-the-art video, a high percentage will rave about how nice that new airplane was.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:06 pm

Programs: GS, Marriott Titanium LT, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JaysonW
OP, you're comparing a brand new hard product to one that's past it's prime and will be replaced in the near future. Of course AA's is better, UA's cabin update is coming and it looks just as impressive!
Exactly! How about comparing an ex US Airways Airbus F class to UA? AA will fly these birds for a long time and it's gotta to be the worst domestic F product of any carrier. Nothing in UA's fleet is quite that bad. UA is making great strides. Good luck with your move to AA.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by edcho
+1. By the time UA installs power and PDE on those dark 739s, it'll be time to retire those planes. It's almost been 3 years of "coming soon" if anyone is counting.
Umm..not sure what plane you are talking about, but UA 739s have power installed in all rows at delivery, IIRC.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Million Miler, Marriott platinum, lifetime platinum
UAL obviously went a different route than AA/DL in terms of IFE on the narrowbody/domestic fleet. It's unclear whether pax are actually willing to pay a premium for embedded IFE on short haul domestic routes, but there is no question that AA/DL win over UA by a long shot in terms of perception and optics on their newest equipment.

The huge numbers of UA's planes that are "dark" is extremely frustrating. I can't stand it.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:59 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
... but the AA one actually looks to be smaller than the UA one in that pic.... It looks hard as a rock.
Looks are not deceiving. AA's "new" slimline F seat is fine for for most domestic trips in/out of DFW, but IMO it becomes uncomfortable past the 3 hour mark. Just wait until you try to recline on that thing -- it's very stingy. Having flown on it on a long BOS-LAX transcon, it gave me a totally different perspective than OP's.

Added:
I do hate UA's dark B738/9s. They really bespeak the mismanagement that was the postmerger "integration."

Last edited by sinoflyer; Mar 30, 2016 at 11:03 pm Reason: added
Old Mar 30, 2016, 11:10 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
And the point of this thread is?
For us to compare what AA is doing (demonstrated above with what the OP says) in comparison to UA (flying dark planes around, only offering BYOD entertainment on more and more aircraft).

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
UA serves lobster mac n cheez
...But not with a filet. AA's side dish is UA's main.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 11:55 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
When last flying AA SFO-ORD in December we had no IFE, wifi or a real beverage service. (Unless just water counts.) Not saying UA is perfect, but don't throw rocks.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 31, 2016 at 6:02 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the posters

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.