Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
For those wanting a extra seat for
  • Person of Size
  • Extra space to be less cramped
  • Space for large musical instrument / artwork
UA has a process call "EXTRASEAT" (A report of the use of "EXST" also)

It is booked like an additional passenger on your PNR but when you check in and when BP is scanned at the gate - both you and the "EXTRASEAT" are properly handled. Requires an agent to book and can not be done online. (This may have changed)
Originally Posted by smitopher
On the United web site , I searched for a trip, specifying 2 passengers.
Booked the best itinerary.
The second passengers first name was " EXTRASEAT "
Paid with a CC.
This concept is valid for either paid or award tickets.

Since the "EXTRASEAT" and you are on the same PNR, they both need to be of the same type -- no mixing award and paid. Likewise the same cabin.

You will get the RDMs (no elite bonus) for the "EXTRASEAT" but no extra PQMs & PQD PQPs?
If you buy a second seat on United or United Express®, you are eligible to earn award miles equal to the number of base miles for the flight. Members are not entitled to Premier® qualifying earnings and associated Premier benefits on the extra ticket purchased.
You will also get the additional standard baggage allowance for the EXTRASEAT but no extra carryon.
Can be upgraded per Upgraded my extra seat.

Other methods one might think of but don't work --
  • Book and assign the desired seat but be a "no show" -- No show ticket will be canceled and seat is likely to be assigned to another passenger
  • Book and assign the desired seat and try to scan both BPs -- generally, agents will not allow this, it is against UA policy.

Caution: There is a chance a GA or FA will try to fill the empty seat with a standby passenger. Best to inform the GA of the "EXTRASEAT" prior to boarding.

Print Wikipost

How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Coud you describe the steps you took?
Sorry for the late reply.
On the United web site, I searched for a trip, specifying 2 passengers.
Booked the best itinerary.
The second passengers first name was "EXTRASEAT"
Paid with a CC.

Cuz of this thread, I followed up by calling United Reservations on the phone. Twice.

Each time I asked about the EXTRASEAT booking. "Is everything in order?"
Both times I was met with some puzzlement from the agent, as they seemed to think that it was not required that the reservation be booked with an agent. I did see on the web site were it specifies that it be booked with an agent. I do not know if either time the agent actually did anything to my reservation.

On the trip.
AUS/IAH, both EXTRASEAT and myself got upgraded with a CPU 3 days before the flight.
I checked 3 bags so I had bags for both tickets and the agent said everything was a ok. Got boarding passes for the whole outbound itinerary for both EXTRASEAT and myself.
Always had both boarding passes scanned when boarding. Boarding agents looked and saw EXTRASEAT and just scanned it without saying anything.

On the return, the weather waiver for hurricane Harvey allowed me to rebook for a later return.

LO AND BEHOLD... my L fare became a FULL Y fare. And there was R availability from NRT/DEN and *G upgrades for MNL/NRT

I was able to rebook the new route and upgrade as far as DEN. DEN/AUS did not have First Class. I kept my eye out to rebook that segment, but alas, no luck.

Now things went a tiny bit sideways.

On MNL check in, ANA says that If I fly J, they can't check in EXTRASEAT. That meant the EXTRASEAT would get canceled and I wanted it for DEN/AUS

I got on the phone with UA and they puzzled over how they might protect EXTRASEAT. EXTRASEAT would be no show on MNL/NRT/DEN. They finally worked out something.

DEN/AUS was in an exit row so the damned armrest was solid and fixed, and the seat was very uncomfortably small. So the EXTRASEAT turned out to be mostly worthless.

I had to call to get the EXTRASEAT mileage credit. I did not get anything for the ANA MNL/NRT segment. I have not bothered to call that up and claim it.

So... Web Site said you gotta book with an agent. I did it without. And I got Lucky in more ways than one.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 7:55 pm

Bought a extra seat online today. Confirmed with United that it could be done this way before attempting it. Noticed the web site no longer says anything about having to call in to book.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 1:52 pm

So I just had two different bookings using this process and both did not get any PQD even though I was told when booking I would. I escalated to 1K line supervisor and they again confirmed, extra seats are not eligible for any PQD, PQM, PQS, only base award miles. They state the "Customers requiring extra seating" policy clearly shows "Members are not entitled to Premier qualifying earnings". If this is true the wiki should probably be updated to remove the PQD accrual statement.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 1:59 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by SFOwantToFly
So I just had two different bookings using this process and both did not get any PQD even though I was told when booking I would. I escalated to 1K line supervisor and they again confirmed, extra seats are not eligible for any PQD, PQM, PQS, only base award miles. They state the "Customers requiring extra seating" policy clearly shows "Members are not entitled to Premier qualifying earnings". If this is true the wiki should probably be updated to remove the PQD accrual statement.
Well, that makes sense, as otherwise people could make all kinds of MRs by buying EXTRASEAT.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 3:06 pm

I just discovered this thread and all I can think is how I can find SHO-HKG flights in economy for $750 rt. So in theory the Mrs and I could fly r/t for $2250 with a guaranteed empty middle. Thats not a bad deal at all. Ghetto Business Class.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: United 1K 1MM
Can I purchase a row of seats?

Is it possible to purchase more than one seat on a flight for myself?

I know that the airlines have required some passengers to purchase an extra seat under certain situations, like transporting a cello, or if the passenger is of large size and requires two seats.

I am wondering if it is possible to intentionally purchase two seats, or possibly even 3 or 4 seats, so that I can assure a whole row. I have been on several TPAC flights, and I usually play the upgrade lottery. Occasionally, there will be available upgrade space at the time of booking and that is a big plus.

I do enjoy and appreciate the benefits of Polaris business class, but I began wondering what the benefits really are. I noticed that the service levels were cut back. The pre-departure drink is water, OJ, or champagne only , and even asking for a cup of coffee for an early departure was not fulfilled. The meal service has been reduced, and cheese and dessert are now served together. Then there is a bottle of water during the flight and the mid flight snacks. The lie flat bed is the best benefit.

There are numerous posts about getting a row in economy (+) during a long haul flight if the flight is not full and being able to sleep across the row. That made me wonder if it was possible on United to purchase a row. I would get

· Ability to lie flat to sleep.

· As a 1K, I could get a meal/snack (for each ticket that I purchase?)

· I get 1 drink (for each seat that I purchase?)

· I would get plenty of overhead storage.

· If there is seatback entertainment, then there’s usually a few movies to pick from.

· I could always use Wi-fi entertainment.

· It would be better priced than a full business fare.

· If I buy three tickets, would I get three times the PQM (i.e., PQMs for each seat)?

· If it’s a good value mileage run (.05 cpm) this could add up fast.

· One example is SFO to HKG. There are RT fares as low as $455, and the same flight has Business at $6172.

· No pajamas, no chocolate, but so????

The airlines have all broken up the travel package and they are charging ala carte for everything. The service levels in the front, while nice, are being cut back. Other airlines (NZ) have specific fares to reserve the “couch” on their long haul flights.

I tried on the website to book two tickets with the same passenger name, and was not allowed. Is this even possible? Probably would have to talk to an agent, and then deal with check-in and the flight crew once onboard to protect the row.

This issue may have been presented before, but I could not find any info, and this might be more appropriate under a different thread than United Mileage Plus. I know FTs have all sorts of input, and I’m wondering what the opinions are.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 9:55 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flytheskies
Is it possible to purchase more than one seat on a flight for myself? .
UA and other airlines have a process for purchase an adjacent seat. "EXTRASEAT"

For many routes, if purchasing 2 or 3 extra seats you should look at buy up to the premium cabin

You will not get multiple meals. You can earn RDMs on the extra seat purchased but not extra PQMs or extra lifetime miles

Related thread: Poll: Hobo first class vs Polaris

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 5, 2018 at 10:10 am Reason: Related thread
Old Jun 5, 2018, 10:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

I know that the airlines have required some passengers to purchase an extra seat under certain situations, like transporting a cello, or if the passenger is of large size and requires two seats.

I am wondering if it is possible to intentionally purchase two seats, or possibly even 3 or 4 seats, so that I can assure a whole row. I have been on several TPAC flights, and I usually play the upgrade lottery. Occasionally, there will be available upgrade space at the time of booking and that is a big plus.

I do enjoy and appreciate the benefits of Polaris business class, but I began wondering what the benefits really are. I noticed that the service levels were cut back. The pre-departure drink is water, OJ, or champagne only , and even asking for a cup of coffee for an early departure was not fulfilled. The meal service has been reduced, and cheese and dessert are now served together. Then there is a bottle of water during the flight and the mid flight snacks. The lie flat bed is the best benefit.

There are numerous posts about getting a row in economy (+) during a long haul flight if the flight is not full and being able to sleep across the row. That made me wonder if it was possible on United to purchase a row. I would get

· Ability to lie flat to sleep.

· As a 1K, I could get a meal/snack (for each ticket that I purchase?)

· I get 1 drink (for each seat that I purchase?)

· I would get plenty of overhead storage.

· If there is seatback entertainment, then there’s usually a few movies to pick from.

· I could always use Wi-fi entertainment.

· It would be better priced than a full business fare.

· If I buy three tickets, would I get three times the PQM (i.e., PQMs for each seat)?

· If it’s a good value mileage run (.05 cpm) this could add up fast.

· One example is SFO to HKG. There are RT fares as low as $455, and the same flight has Business at $6172.

· No pajamas, no chocolate, but so????

The airlines have all broken up the travel package and they are charging ala carte for everything. The service levels in the front, while nice, are being cut back. Other airlines (NZ) have specific fares to reserve the “couch” on their long haul flights.

I tried on the website to book two tickets with the same passenger name, and was not allowed. Is this even possible? Probably would have to talk to an agent, and then deal with check-in and the flight crew once onboard to protect the row.

This issue may have been presented before, but I could not find any info, and this might be more appropriate under a different thread than United Mileage Plus. I know FTs have all sorts of input, and I’m wondering what the opinions are.
I would say part of the answer will depend on your personality. I had someone try and poach my extraseat middle during boarding on my very first ES experience, and luckily I had a vigilant gate agent in the aisle with the same attitude as me, who told the poacher to buzz off and go sit in her seat in the back while I was arguing with her. So, protecting an empty middle is one thing, but an entire row of 3 seats in E+ on an international flight? If you're prepared to get loud, aggressive and perhaps a little shoving where needed to protect that row for 12+ hours, or the stress of a dumb gate agent taking the two extra seats in an oversale situation, then I would say go for it - otherwise, look for a cheap business class option for another departure city or a GPU if you're eligible.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: United 1K 2.7 MM
Arm rests

Better be sure that the arm rests go down also. I think this varies from plane to plane and even rows. I very much doubt you'd get extra overhead bin space, but as 1K you'd be in boarding group 1 so could get on first.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Has anyone else besides smitopher booked tickets with UA on some legs and a partner on other legs. I'm thinking of booking CLE-XXX-NRT-CGK. The NRT-CGT will be on ANA. I don't want to have the extra seat as a no show.

Thanks
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:15 pm

Programs: UA MM
The "problem" with my ANA flight was that I upgraded MY seat with a *A upgrade.

The ANA staff at MNL airport seemed to be fully aware of what the EXTRASEAT was, just that both EXTRASEAT and I had to be both checked into the same cabin, otherwise EXTRASEAT would not be allowed to check in according to some "rule"

Calls were made to support, the response was "Checkin to same cabin only". If checked in and boarded in my Business Class seat, EXTRASEAT would not be checked in and therefore a No Show.

I wanted the Biz seat for the 5 hour flight.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Thanks. So, it wasn't that they couldn't check an EXTRASEAT into J, it's that you wound up with the EXTRASEAT in a different cabin from you.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, MM
I have an extra seat booked for a Europe-US flight in November (Mr. Exst Lancelot21), and I'm trying to confirm the baggage allowance. It shows 1 bag free, second bag $100, which I presume is the standard economy allowance. I presume that, even though I'm a 1K, this is correct, that my extra seat doesn't get the 1K allowance, correct? (I tried putting in my FF number in the reservation, but it didn't stick).
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:13 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lancelot21
I have an extra seat booked for a Europe-US flight in November (Mr. Exst Lancelot21), and I'm trying to confirm the baggage allowance. It shows 1 bag free, second bag $100, which I presume is the standard economy allowance. I presume that, even though I'm a 1K, this is correct, that my extra seat doesn't get the 1K allowance, correct? (I tried putting in my FF number in the reservation, but it didn't stick).
Did you book the EXTRASEAT on your PNR or a separate PNR?

UA is a bit vague on this
Baggage allowance

Checked baggage allowances are determined by the number of seats purchased. When two seats are purchased for one customer, the allowance for checked baggage is doubled. The number of carry-on items permitted is determined by the individual passenger allowances set by the TSA, rather than United policy. Consequently, the carry-on allowance is not doubled.
This thread's wiki refers to "standard" allowance
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Did you book the EXTRASEAT on your PNR or a separate PNR?
I booked it as a separate PNR. Somehow never thought about the fact I should try to get it on the same reservation. I am hoping it won't matter, and that one bag for my extraseat will be enough, but I won't be sure until we're finished packing!

(I'm sure there must be a thread on people's EXST baggage allowances but I couldn't find it.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.