Community
Wiki Posts
Search

757-200 vs 767-400Er

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by mduell
Yet they never impact the other fleets as much as the 757s... hmm that's weird.
Hmm - likely because the margin for error on the 757 is thinner than UA's new slimline seats....
Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
I just checked on UA.com on both EWR & IAD to MAD on 7/6 and both show up as 763s
Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by mduell
Yet they never impact the other fleets as much as the 757s... hmm that's weird.
Is that supposed to be sarcasm? Of course 757s on most TATL will be disproportionately impacted by weather/operational factors as they are toward the end of their range... same as a 764 would be on ATH-EWR or a 777 on HKG-EWR. I think you're misconstruing the point I'm making... it's not a defense of 757s on TATL routes, but a statement of fact that summertime 757 diversions are usually caused by different circumstances.

When EWR is on a 90 minute ground stop because of thunderstorms in mid-July, diversions happen. I've been there, and it's not only the TATL 757s.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Iad - mad 30/6

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
I just checked on UA.com on both EWR & IAD to MAD on 7/6 and both show up as 763s
I am doing IAD - MAD on 30/6 @ 5:50pm, you can see 757-200
I can switch to the 777 as my final flight destination is not MAD, but LIS and I can connect in different locations. stay/switch?
Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by justsawaufo
I can switch to the 777 as my final flight destination is not MAD, but LIS and I can connect in different locations. stay/switch?
I would avoid a 757 on IAD-MAD. IAD is further on TATL from EWR so there could be diversions. Plus it's been mentioned on these forums that the 757s are getting beat up such as broken footwells and slower AVOD in J. The 763 will have a new interior.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
Is that supposed to be sarcasm? Of course 757s on most TATL will be disproportionately impacted by weather/operational factors as they are toward the end of their range... same as a 764 would be on ATH-EWR or a 777 on HKG-EWR. I think you're misconstruing the point I'm making... it's not a defense of 757s on TATL routes, but a statement of fact that summertime 757 diversions are usually caused by different circumstances.

When EWR is on a 90 minute ground stop because of thunderstorms in mid-July, diversions happen. I've been there, and it's not only the TATL 757s.
I don't see the distinction between summer tstorms and winter winds w/r/t what types of aircraft they "can" impact. The high winter winds "can impact 767/777 operations too".

Last edited by mduell; Mar 7, 2016 at 3:28 pm
Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Oh that changes everything. To me the only pro to the 752 are less connections. If MAD isn't your final destination, then I wouldn't take it. I would call United and tell them you booked IAD-MAD-LIS because you wanted to avoid the 752 on the IAD-LIS direct. Now that IAD-MAD, is also a 752, you'd like to be put on the direct flight. I'm sure they'll have a problem with that at first (since the schedule change isn't significant) but hopefully you can convince an agent.

By 777 I assume you mean IAD-LHR-LIS (with LHR-LIS on TP) - I wouldn't add 4 hours (2 hour flight + 2 hour LHR connection) just to avoid a 752.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
...what I would worry about is the flight back - many of the 757's will have to make a fuel stop as they can't make it all the way to Newark or Dulles - and the chance to misconnect increases dramatically....

If you can find another flight on a wide body I would change - but don't do it for the seat....
Originally Posted by EmailKid
As has been posted, same seat, though there are some who like larger cabin of widebody. So no, not a downgrade IMHO.

And has been pointed out in other replies, especially in summer diversions tend to be from longer routes than MAD.
Diversions are few and far between. During the summer -- as pointed out above -- usually occur because of thunderstorms. In that situation there really isn't much difference between the 757 and widebody aircraft. If the airports are closed or severely backed up you'll divert...

Regarding it being a narrowbody, I prefer to look at the forward cabin as the upper deck of a 747. I'm always amused when people pooh pooh a 752 and then rave about the similarly-sized upper deck f a 747.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I would have preferred the 767 traveling alone in the center seat, but there's two of you.
I also like the smaller cabin and service.
However, I've flown EWR-TXL-EWR plenty of times in summer and winter and I've never had a stop for fuel so it never factored in to my booking.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 6:14 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Diversions are few and far between. During the summer -- as pointed out above -- usually occur because of thunderstorms. In that situation there really isn't much difference between the 757 and widebody aircraft. If the airports are closed or severely backed up you'll divert...

Regarding it being a narrowbody, I prefer to look at the forward cabin as the upper deck of a 747. I'm always amused when people pooh pooh a 752 and then rave about the similarly-sized upper deck f a 747.
There's a LOT more space on the 747 UD than the J cabin of a 757.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Isn't there a nonstop IAD-LIS flight? It is on a 752, so if you are fine with being on a 752 then I would take that.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 6:40 pm

I think the love stems from sharing the entire floor with only the pilots and a dedicated business class cabin crew. And the side bins. And sitting backwards. And looking down at 2 beautiful engines. Exclusivity, privacy, novelty.

The 757 is fine, but I've always felt like I was on a p.s. transcon. People running up through the cabin to use lavatory, all kinds of stuff going on with the crew pacing through the aisle, the even shorter seats than 744 upper deck, noise, etc. A 8-9hr TATL hop is fine, but I couldn't imagine being in a 757 BF cabin for a 15 hour flight to Sydney or Hong Kong. That just feels oh so wrong. The 744 upper-deck OTOH is perfect for that, however.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jmanirish
Oh that changes everything. To me the only pro to the 752 are less connections. If MAD isn't your final destination, then I wouldn't take it. I would call United and tell them you booked IAD-MAD-LIS because you wanted to avoid the 752 on the IAD-LIS direct. Now that IAD-MAD, is also a 752, you'd like to be put on the direct flight. I'm sure they'll have a problem with that at first (since the schedule change isn't significant) but hopefully you can convince an agent.

By 777 I assume you mean IAD-LHR-LIS (with LHR-LIS on TP) - I wouldn't add 4 hours (2 hour flight + 2 hour LHR connection) just to avoid a 752.
That's exactly what I did.
Took 4 different representatives, until I found a nice one. a little convincing and bumped to the direct flight, without having to pay the 17.5k x 2 miles difference as no saves business class available or change fees.

Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I like the single seat on 767-400 when traveling by myself but if traveling with someone 757 is fine. Lack of individual air vent on 767-400 is annoying.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
The 757 BF and 747 UD are incomparable; there's more than a foot difference in cabin width! Super cramped and short seats angled toward the window vs the straight seats with window storage boxes is a world of a difference. Plus the IFE catalog difference and aisles where two humans can reasonably pass each other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.