Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New United Partner Airlines One Segment Minimum Purchase Rule?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2016, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone - I was wondering if the experts here can help confirm what I learned today. I was searching for a LAX to TPE ticket on United.com and noticed that I could not find any nonstop flights on partner airline EVA Air for purchase where the entire itinerary was on EVA. I found this strange because I could have sworn in the past I could do this (even though I know the price is typically higher to purchase through United vs EVA's website directly). The reason I'm searching for the flight this way is because if I buy directly through EVA, I won't get credit for United elite PQD. Long story short, I called United.com website support and they explained to me that United implemented a new rule where search results for all flights from their website for purchase require there to be at least one segment be a United operated flight. Has this rule always been in effect or is this something new?

I know the other airlines don't do this because for example on Delta.com I can still purchase a ticket where the entire itinerary is on China Airlines.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I don't think that's true as written (sounds like MOLA), but the cheap EVA TPAC fares require EVA to plate it on their own stock, not UA on 016, so they're probably not going to come up in the search results since they're so expensive for an 016-able fare.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It's difficult to get united.com to show an itinerary with no United flight numbers, but if you find a codeshare, it should work. There are, however, tricks to book OAL native flights numbers, like searching for an award and selecting "purchase this itinerary", but note that mduell's comment might make this moot.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 7:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
MOLA. Without question. They've been trotting out that falsehood ever since PQD were implemented.

Doesn't mean you can ticket the flights you want on UA stock. Many just aren't offered by or through UA.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
I think that timing maybe potentially impacts when you look? Just for reference - when I was looking at a NYC-TYO trip that I am taking in a couple weeks back in late August / early September on UA's website, they were showing both the UA and the NH nonstops. Then it stopped showing up for a while. Now that we are close to departure date, the NH flights are showing up again. Perhaps it's possible that partners are willing to open up inventory available on UA's website if they are having a slow time selling tickets?

(purely speculation on my part, except for my personal experience)
Old Mar 6, 2016, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire RA
Ditto, I have no problem booking *A routes with no UA metal on the UA website. Probably depends on your timing and routes. Keep trying, it does change very often, especially the *A flights.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responses! this helps a lot!
Old Mar 6, 2016, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by wickedlfe
Thanks everyone for your responses! this helps a lot!
New rule and happened to me too. Only exception is Lufthansa
Old Mar 6, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Bruin1K
New rule and happened to me too. Only exception is Lufthansa
It is absolutely not a rule.

Go to united.com right now and search for flights BKK-SIN or BOG-CTG (or MDE or CLO). Those are just a handful of examples (that I am particularly familiar with) where UA will sell 100% non-UA, non-codeshare itineraries.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 9:09 pm

Best way is to find the flights you want through the award tool, and then select "purchase this itinerary instead of using miles" at checkout.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
I don't think that's true as written (sounds like MOLA), but the cheap EVA TPAC fares require EVA to plate it on their own stock, not UA on 016, so they're probably not going to come up in the search results since they're so expensive for an 016-able fare.
I haven't actually seen that, at least not with the T class PE fares. But even without a documented plating restriction I haven't managed to get one of our corporate TAs to plate it on UA stock. Just the usual 'At least 1 UA segment' or 'Over the water', etc. Unfortunately I do have to use our corporate folks, I suspect I could find a TA to plate it as desired. I *think*.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
It is absolutely not a rule.

Go to united.com right now and search for flights BKK-SIN or BOG-CTG (or MDE or CLO). Those are just a handful of examples (that I am particularly familiar with) where UA will sell 100% non-UA, non-codeshare itineraries.
I tried to buy MRS- LHR today today from united.com. The flights were there and the prices too but it wouldn't ticket at the end and would give an error message. Called the 1K number and was told about this rule. They said the exception is Lufthansa but all other partners require at least one UA segment. One if mine was on Brussels and the rest on Lufthansa.
The agent couldn't book the ticket
Old Mar 6, 2016, 9:34 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Go to united.com right now and search for flights BKK-SIN or BOG-CTG (or MDE or CLO).
How recently have you ticketed one? What people are reporting is that they can find the flights, but that the final step gives an error.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Bruin1K
I tried to buy MRS- LHR today today from united.com. The flights were there and the prices too but it wouldn't ticket at the end and would give an error message. Called the 1K number and was told about this rule. They said the exception is Lufthansa but all other partners require at least one UA segment. One if mine was on Brussels and the rest on Lufthansa.
The agent couldn't book the ticket
I just booked a ticket online 30 seconds ago through united.com BOG-CTG on AV. No problem whatsoever.

Agents make stuff up all the time. The system hiccups for any one of a thousand reasons, and they make up an answer to get you off the phone.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
How recently have you ticketed one? What people are reporting is that they can find the flights, but that the final step gives an error.
I have . . . about 1 minute ago.

Last edited by Kacee; Mar 6, 2016 at 10:03 pm
Old Mar 6, 2016, 9:41 pm

Why yes, I have . . . about 1 minute ago
Thanks. Good to have current data.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.