Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New United Partner Airlines One Segment Minimum Purchase Rule?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2016, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mikal
I haven't actually seen that, at least not with the T class PE fares. But even without a documented plating restriction I haven't managed to get one of our corporate TAs to plate it on UA stock. Just the usual 'At least 1 UA segment' or 'Over the water', etc. Unfortunately I do have to use our corporate folks, I suspect I could find a TA to plate it as desired. I *think*.
Here it is from the BR TLXR fare IAH-PVG:
FARE RULE
TICKETS MUST BE ISSUED ON THE STOCK OF BR AND MAY ONLY
BE SOLD IN UNITED STATES/CANADA/ARGENTINA/PANAMA.

There may exist a fare that allows UA plating and books into BR PE, but it's going to be quite a bit more expensive than any of the discount BR fares.
Old Mar 6, 2016, 10:44 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
It is absolutely not a rule.

Go to united.com right now and search for flights BKK-SIN or BOG-CTG (or MDE or CLO). Those are just a handful of examples (that I am particularly familiar with) where UA will sell 100% non-UA, non-codeshare itineraries.
Yes, but ....

Methinks UA will sell you tickets on those routes because there is no UA metal on those routes.

SFO - TPE, not so much ....

But agree that UA agents are more than happy to make up "rules" .....
Old Mar 6, 2016, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Just tried over and over and still didn't work. Finally decided to exchange the Brussels airline segment with Lufthansa and it worked! There might be some merit to what the agent said. Maybe it's not just Lufthansa but with some others I guess a UA segment had to be involved
Old Mar 6, 2016, 11:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Almost all BR fares require their own plate - this will be a very hard find, and likely cost a huge premium over regular BR fares, and restriction includes their very affordable (and upgradable) B class fares to Asia.

I know the OP is looking for PQD, but it's better to do the UA SFO-TPE route if the PQD is more important than flying BR (I assume they intend on upgrading B class to royal laurel, or buying premium economy).
Old Mar 7, 2016, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by mduell
Here it is from the BR TLXR fare IAH-PVG:
FARE RULE

There may exist a fare that allows UA plating and books into BR PE, but it's going to be quite a bit more expensive than any of the discount BR fares.
OK, but the OP said LAX-TPE which happens to be the route that I'm always booking. And I haven't seen any plating restrictions the last 2 times I booked that route. Unless I missed it of course, but I was looking for that specifically...
Old Mar 7, 2016, 4:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Methinks UA will sell you tickets on those routes because there is no UA metal on those routes.
Of course that has something to do with it. It's a combination of plating restrictions, UA not wanting to cannibalize its own business, and sheer randomness. But there is simply no "rule" that you must have a UA segment to ticket partner flights on UA stock. I have an all AV ticket right now that proves it.

Originally Posted by Bruin1K
There might be some merit to what the agent said.
There really is not. The agent was making stuff up. See above.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by wickedlfe
Hi everyone - I was wondering if the experts here can help confirm what I learned today. I was searching for a LAX to TPE ticket on United.com and noticed that I could not find any nonstop flights on partner airline EVA Air for purchase where the entire itinerary was on EVA. I found this strange because I could have sworn in the past I could do this (even though I know the price is typically higher to purchase through United vs EVA's website directly). The reason I'm searching for the flight this way is because if I buy directly through EVA, I won't get credit for United elite PQD. Long story short, I called United.com website support and they explained to me that United implemented a new rule where search results for all flights from their website for purchase require there to be at least one segment be a United operated flight. Has this rule always been in effect or is this something new?

I know the other airlines don't do this because for example on Delta.com I can still purchase a ticket where the entire itinerary is on China Airlines.
There are fare rules that may require this, but not a United rule per se.

Originally Posted by Kacee
It is absolutely not a rule.

Go to united.com right now and search for flights BKK-SIN or BOG-CTG (or MDE or CLO). Those are just a handful of examples (that I am particularly familiar with) where UA will sell 100% non-UA, non-codeshare itineraries.
Agreed. Less than 12 hours ago I bought a ticket on ual.com for an Asiana round trip. Not only was it possible but it was cheaper than OTAs. Searched as a paid fare, not an award. I've also bought domestic tickets in Egypt on ual.com because Egyptair's site was not working properly.

Last edited by uanj; Mar 7, 2016 at 7:59 am
Old Mar 7, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's difficult to get united.com to show an itinerary with no United flight numbers, but if you find a codeshare, it should work. There are, however, tricks to book OAL native flights numbers, like searching for an award and selecting "purchase this itinerary", but note that mduell's comment might make this moot.
Thanks for sharing the trick..all these years of seeing the 'purchase this itinerary' when searching for overseas awards and not making the connection that it would result in 016 based stock.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mikal
OK, but the OP said LAX-TPE which happens to be the route that I'm always booking. And I haven't seen any plating restrictions the last 2 times I booked that route. Unless I missed it of course, but I was looking for that specifically...
LAX-TPE has the same exact fare rule in the BR TLXP11 fare:
FARE RULE
Old Mar 8, 2016, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by mduell
LAX-TPE has the same exact fare rule in the BR TLXP11 fare:
FARE RULE
Ha! OK, I was wrong. Thanks, I do appreciate it. Maybe as much as my corporate TA will appreciate me not bugging them about this again.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
yesterday bought MUC-FLR (EN) on UA.com "016" tix.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:49 am
formerly sahiljain22

Programs: Amex Plat; HH Diamond; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond; United 1K; National EE; HSBC Premier
I see this all the time on YYZ routes from Asia/Europe. UA will not show direct AC flights (even awards) to buy and will always route through the US. Most of these direct AC flights are UA codeshares.

Usually a phone agent can see and book the award space on these tickets but I have been unable to get a revenue ticket booked.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry

United could do away with this issue if it just followed Delta's lead and at least awarded some PQDs for partner-plated, non-016 tickets on partner flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.