Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA219 ORD-HNL Equipment Swap Question [5 March, 2016]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2016, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K

I'm on this flight tomorrow (3/5) and at T-24, it appears to have switched from the regular 77A (Hawaiian) to a 744 #8407. Flight aware and a dummy booking on ua.com still says its a "777," but the flight status page says 744.

I'm traveling BOS-HNL in P and I'm curious if this swap will hold up. Have a seat on the UD and want to avoid being downgraded if there is another equip swap. Would rather SDC to EWR-HNL.

Thanks!

UATulip

Last edited by goalie; Mar 4, 2016 at 9:33 am Reason: re-formatted date
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
there is always a risk it will swap again. i would check it again before bed tonight and then make your decision. on a P fare you might have a decent shot at an op-up to global first.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Yup as a P fare, you will probably get a GF seat. Sweet ride on that trip. But yes, beware it may be swapped again. I had a ORD-HNL, get swapped back and forth 4 times recently.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Yup as a P fare, you will probably get a GF seat. Sweet ride on that trip. But yes, beware it may be swapped again. I had a ORD-HNL, get swapped back and forth 4 times recently.

Agreed. I was pretty excited to find the change, especially because I rarely have Asia trips and the recent announcement of their retirement (alleged) by end of 2017.

Is there any way to find the # of seats booked in GF? From what I can tell, they're marketing the flight as 2-class, but still have an upgrade list for GF (albeit not actually GF) for paid premium tix and elites. Seat map shows all of the seats occupied in GF, which I figured isn't true, so I checked expert flyer and it also showed 8/8 booked in GF. Any insight?

Thanks,

UA Tulip
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by UATulip
Agreed. I was pretty excited to find the change, especially because I rarely have Asia trips and the recent announcement of their retirement (alleged) by end of 2017.

Is there any way to find the # of seats booked in GF? From what I can tell, they're marketing the flight as 2-class, but still have an upgrade list for GF (albeit not actually GF) for paid premium tix and elites. Seat map shows all of the seats occupied in GF, which I figured isn't true, so I checked expert flyer and it also showed 8/8 booked in GF. Any insight?

Thanks,

UA Tulip
Nope, because it wasn't sold as a first class flight, you won't be able to see GF availability. Most likely the cabin is being blocked. The "GF" upgrade list has one person already upgraded to GF (Wol,K) and only one paid F passenger so far Tur,D (the rest are presumably non-revs as they're on both lists).

As suggested, I'd check back tonight and see if the 744 sticks, but also how many are on the GF upgrade list (that aren't also on the BF) and get a very rough gauge of chances in the true front.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick feedback. Hopefully I stay #1 on the list

Tulip
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by jmanirish
Nope, because it wasn't sold as a first class flight, you won't be able to see GF availability. Most likely the cabin is being blocked. The "GF" upgrade list has one person already upgraded to GF (Wol,K) and only one paid F passenger so far Tur,D (the rest are presumably non-revs as they're on both lists).

As suggested, I'd check back tonight and see if the 744 sticks, but also how many are on the GF upgrade list (that aren't also on the BF) and get a very rough gauge of chances in the true front.
What would the differences be between GF/BF meal service? As this flight isn't sold as F/J/Y, I'd assume that everyone seated in GF/BF get the exact same meal service and other amenities?

Also confused because UA typically sells 3-cabin domestic flights that aren't normally configured (such as ORD-LAX/SFO, EWR-ORD, sometimes IAH-IAD, etc.), as 3-cabin. So, why is a 3-class 747 being sold as 2-class?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Name:  Screen Shot 2016-03-04 at 12.37.30 PM.png
Views: 302
Size:  182.9 KB

Interestingly, according to ualcargo.com, UA219 will go 744 on 3/7 as well.
Wonder why? MX with the Hawaiian 77As?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
What would the differences be between GF/BF meal service? As this flight isn't sold as F/J/Y, I'd assume that everyone seated in GF/BF get the exact same meal service and other amenities?
In my experience, the service will be exactly the same in both F and C. The only difference will be the seat.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369

Also confused because UA typically sells 3-cabin domestic flights that aren't normally configured (such as ORD-LAX/SFO, EWR-ORD, sometimes IAH-IAD, etc.), as 3-cabin. So, why is a 3-class 747 being sold as 2-class?
Because this is an equipment swap.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Plat, SPG/M P75 and few from CC
Both 77As operate ORD-HNL flights on 3/6 and 3/8 will sit in ORD for a full day after landed on 3/5 and 3/7,respectively. So I suspect a special operational need like cargo transportation over a MX issue.

Originally Posted by UATulip
Attachment 2987

Interestingly, according to ualcargo.com, UA219 will go 744 on 3/7 as well.
Wonder why? MX with the Hawaiian 77As?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.