Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to launch SFO - HGH service (Hangzhou, China) {Service terminated 14 Oct 2017}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to launch SFO - HGH service (Hangzhou, China) {Service terminated 14 Oct 2017}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: CX Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Fifth freedom routes and a scissor hub at Narita are bad business at this point. The costs far outweigh the benefits to the business.
I am very curious about this aspect. Do you have more information on why the scissor hub model no longer works?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta PM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by DA201
They got the approval for a SFO-CAN flight back when the market was very high (I think they asked for the rights in 2006/07 and got approval in early 2008). But then the market crashed, and they delayed the launch, which was originally supposed to be around October 2008 (eventually cancelled the launch). They may still have the rights to this flight, but I am not sure.

CAN would be a great market. I think CAN, CKG, WUH, are all potential future destinations.
CKG would be very nice.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 5:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lixiaojuventus
I am very curious about this aspect. Do you have more information on why the scissor hub model no longer works?
Because many of the destinations can be served from the US mainland more efficiently and cost-effectively thanks to the newer generation of aircraft. And most travelers care most about just getting where they're going. Singapore has more and better connection options for more UA customers with the SFO-SIN nonstop than without it. TPE has the nonstop now. Many cities in China which would previously connect in Tokyo are now served nonstop.

Bemoaning the loss of the Narita hub is like crying over the loss of Anchorage or Hawaii tech stops a generation ago. There may be some nostalgia there but the evolution of aircraft and markets makes that sort of operation much less competitive overall.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 4, 2016 at 7:17 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the posters
Old Mar 4, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Has UA actually announced it?
Not that I can find. The only thing I found doing a search was a posting on airliners.net. Doing a search on UA's site only brings up a reference to UA serving HGH through CA.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Singapore has more and better connection options for more UA customers with the SFO-SIN nonstop than without it.
The flight lands in SFO almost the same time from Asia (v NRT/HKG), so I don't see a benefit there.

Funny you mention HNL tech stops. HNL now doesn't have a UA metal path to SIN.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
The flight lands in SFO almost the same time from Asia (v NRT/HKG), so I don't see a benefit there.
Sure, if SFO is your final stop. But it leaves SIN hours later which is a nice benefit - no more 5:30a departure - and if connecting beyond SFO the benefit is even greater. Far more cities are now served via a one-stop service than before.

Neither does ANC. And, AFAIK, HNL never did. You should note that I specifically referred to prior generations in that reference. As in all the flights to the South Pacific used to stop in HNL and now they do not because the planes got better. Just like flights to Asia used to stop in ANC and now they do not because planes got better.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
AFAIK, HNL never did. You should note that I specifically referred to prior generations in that reference. As in all the flights to the South Pacific used to stop in HNL and now they do not because the planes got better. Just like flights to Asia used to stop in ANC and now they do not because planes got better.
You could do HNL-NRT-SIN on all UA metal.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
You could do HNL-NRT-SIN on all UA metal.
And you can do HNL-SFO-SIN if you want. It will add about 5 hours to the already laboriously long journey. NH, JL and KE offer a much shorter routing; each is better timed than the current UA option. And, AFAIK, the NH flights are part of the UA/NH JV so UA will do just fine if passengers choose that option instead.

I understand that the "metal-neutral" JVs are not truly 100% neutral across all benefits/offerings but that's a part of the modern economic and operational climate airlines operate in today. It is the way things are now. UA - and most of its customers - will do better to focus on routes it can serve non-stop from its mainland US hubs rather than at a remote scissor hub in Asia. The few passengers flying from HNL to SIN who prefer UA metal may have to fly a partner now. But that was always the smaller population going to SIN on UA metal anyways, and those coming from the mainland are more likely to do much better without the NRT stop in terms of total travel time and destinations served with a single connection.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 7:23 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
HNL pax have a path to SIN through NRT by way of a metal-neutral JV, which is preferable (to United) to operating own-metal fifth freedom service.

I doubt the HNLSIN market is large or high-yielding enough where this was a major consideration.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 8:57 am

Because many of the destinations can be served from the US mainland more efficiently and cost-effectively thanks to the newer generation of aircraft. And most travelers care most about just getting where they're going. Singapore has more and better connection options for more UA customers with the SFO-SIN nonstop than without it. TPE has the nonstop now. Many cities in China which would previously connect in Tokyo are now served nonstop.

Bemoaning the loss of the Narita hub is like crying over the loss of Anchorage or Hawaii tech stops a generation ago. There may be some nostalgia there but the evolution of aircraft and markets makes that sort of operation much less competitive overall.
Very insightful for me. Thanks! I am indeed just having some nostalgia about the NRT hub at the moment, mainly because it allowed me to try out various different routings between US and China in the past
Old Mar 5, 2016, 10:54 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
HNL pax have a path to SIN through NRT by way of a metal-neutral JV, which is preferable (to United) to operating own-metal fifth freedom service.

I doubt the HNLSIN market is large or high-yielding enough where this was a major consideration.
Not that is really matters, but HNL pax can also fly HNL-GUM-HKG-SIN all on UA. Not sure what the connection is like in HKG though.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Be interesting to hear the route planning justification for this choice. With Shanghai only 45 minutes away and trains every 10 minutes, it wouldn't have been my first guesstimate.
Their Xi'an and Chengdu decisions would have suggested CKG
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by luckypierre
Be interesting to hear the route planning justification for this choice. With Shanghai only 45 minutes away and trains every 10 minutes, it wouldn't have been my first guesstimate.
One thing is that PVG is not directly connected by train at the moment. The train only goes to SHA (where a large train hub is located nearby), which is still quite far from PVG. Therefore, HGH (Hangzhou airport) will be much more convenient for the local people.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Pi7473000
That is nice they are expanding in China. I generally avoid the UA 787 unless it is the only option due to comfort and service. Hopefully they will have an updated BusinessFirst class for this route to China as well.
I thought their business first was decent, and new? can you tell me why its no good (guess just comparing within united)

Originally Posted by luckypierre
I think it's more because of the slot issues at PVG, so somewhere close by kind of make sense. Zhejiang province is pretty developed (established manufacturing, but also got hit pretty hard by economic slowdown), and previously they can only go to PVG to fly to US, which is not a easy journey (every 10 min high speed train only gets you to SHA, not PVG, they are an hour apart), and a lot of these people have 2nd home in hangzhou. I think (certainly hope) this route will do well, even better than CTU one. Also with Alibaba headquarter in there and more start-ups, corporate demand for silicon valley is already pretty high. As a local hangzhouness living in the bay, this route comes way sooner than I thought, still.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 5, 2016 at 3:15 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Mar 5, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Sure, if SFO is your final stop. But it leaves SIN hours later which is a nice benefit - no more 5:30a departure - and if connecting beyond SFO the benefit is even greater. Far more cities are now served via a one-stop service than before.

Neither does ANC. And, AFAIK, HNL never did. You should note that I specifically referred to prior generations in that reference. As in all the flights to the South Pacific used to stop in HNL and now they do not because the planes got better. Just like flights to Asia used to stop in ANC and now they do not because planes got better.
Incorrect. The connection options ex-SFO are still robust whether you land at 9am or 10am. The current departure out of SIN to NRT is 7am or 6am, no different than west coast early banks. And SIN is easier with no TSA madness.

HNL-NRT-SIN was very available on UA metal.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 5, 2016 at 3:14 pm Reason: repaired quote;removed trolling and overly personalized comments

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.