Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

737's: Worst First Class comfort in the fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

737's: Worst First Class comfort in the fleet

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler.
An old expression comes to mind......

Originally Posted by globetraveler
Domestic First has never been revolutionary but having flown over the years on UA, the CO 737 First Class cabins are horribly uncomfortable while PMUA A319's, 20's and 757's are all much much more comfortable up front.

Not only do the seats look like they belong in the Smithsonian, but they are so straight that they offer zero support on any area of the seat and in the upright position it feels like you're sitting on a granite slab.

Am I an outlier here or do others agree?

..... "A bad day fishing is better than a good day at the office!"
Old Feb 26, 2016, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Anyone have quantitative stats on the new domestic F seats (not yet deployed)?

Is the seat pitch similar, smaller, larger? Is there more/less padding? Is the seat pan smaller/lower?

Basically are they designed for a little bit of comfort or designed to be as profitable as possible?

This is important to me as I choose my flying patterns for next year.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by johnden
Looks like 12 planes or so are shown as New F. Looks like that could be even higher.

https://sites.google.com/site/united...fleet-tracking
Old Feb 26, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by johnden

Is the seat pitch similar, smaller, larger? Is there more/less padding? Is the seat pan smaller/lower?

Basically are they designed for a little bit of comfort or designed to be as profitable as possible?

This is important to me as I choose my flying patterns for next year.
I have flown the new F seat on a couple of sectors. Less comfortable than pmUA seat and more comfortable than pmCO F seat (not difficult). I was not super impressed.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by transportprof
And they're getting worse! The 739 has one inch less pitch than the older 737s in F.

I hope the 737-700s that were just ordered won't have pitch that is similarly shrunk up front.
Exactly, I just got off a 739 SFO-PDX in F, the guy in front reclined his seat, which is not a problem. What was a problem is that the seatback felt like it was 6" from my face.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 5:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
Are you the GS I was standing next to before EWR-DEL last year that said he preferred the sCO J seat to the sUA GF seat?

Most definitely not. I'm not crazy!! That GF seat is sweet, sweet, SWEET!

... And I'm certainly no GS. Hope to never be, either. Don't want to spend that much time away from my family!
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
I've only flown in F on the current sCO machines once and it was a 753 on EWR-LAX. The seat was terrible - I was squirming the entire flight complete with bad DTV and nasty crew. Food was actually very good though.

The sCO Y seats on the 737s have not held up well at all. They were not ever comfortable, but CO didn't do any updates on the seats prior to the merger (some of these seats date back to 1997-1998). They gradually kept getting worn down to the park bench state that they're in.

The sUA seats were pretty darn comfortable - I stopped flying UA completely when they phased out those seats in favor of those miserable slimlines. UA updated a lot of the 320 seats to leather in Y in 2008-2009 so I still can't figure out why they ripped them out. Probably another Rainey cheap a$$ maneuver.

The old sUA F seats I have fallen asleep in several times. I find them more comfortable than some of the lie flat variants I've been on.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
But I also hate the pre-reclined sUA seat.
yeah surprise. what about the horrific shoulder blade crushing headrest

my unscientific poll from this thread concludes the CO Kioto seats are junk.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 1:24 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
I avoid the 737s as much as possible due to the seats and the unreliable KA band wifi
Old Feb 27, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by tuolumne
yeah surprise. what about the horrific shoulder blade crushing headrest.
This can be dealt with (discretely ) by the user.

my unscientific poll from this thread concludes the CO Kioto seats are junk.
This cannot.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Totally agree...the 737s are to be avoided. At this point will only book Ua domestic F if I can get an A320 both ways...which is often hard to do. i assume the worst is coming with the new F seat since they are installing on sUA and not the wretched 737s...unfortunately, it makes me think it's the CO psychopath in charge of seats that likely did the ordering to further downgrade the flying experience as I would have thought installing new F seats in the 737s would be the top priority if the seat had any comfort qualities.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
The old sCO seats First seats on 737's are just awful. But the new seats on the 739's, are even worse. I won't step foot on another 739. Ever! The Airbus seats are night and day more comfortable.
+100. The sCO seats on the 737s and 757s are just horrible. Falling apart and far too low to the ground, plus the seatpan support is completely gone. The seats are somethong one would find in a Third World country.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
I agree! The F class 737 seats are not comfortable at all. The coach class seats are much more uncomfortable than PMUAs seats before they put in slimline seats. As someone who flew PMUA and PMCO I never understood why PMCO won so many awards as the comfort of their 737s was not good. It is too bad to see United ordering more 737s. Hopefully they make them more comfortable for passengers!
Old Feb 27, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: United 1K
Try flying economy plus on a crowded 737. It's painful and you should be thankful you're flying F.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
yeah surprise. what about the horrific shoulder blade crushing headrest
Many's the time in those seats I've had an FA push the headrest down into my shoulder blades in preparation for landing. Ouch!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.