Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

737's: Worst First Class comfort in the fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

737's: Worst First Class comfort in the fleet

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2016, 10:43 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Too bad Smisek took away the pillow, then the blanket. So there's nothing you can roll up to help support the lower back any more.

Bring along an air pillow for back support. It will make sitting in F more tolerable. It's a hassle, but there's not much else you can do when United won't listen.

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I don't think it is just limited to the 737.

I can honestly say that the seats on PMUA aircrafts are more comfortable than PMCO seats.
I agree. The seat comfort actually started my loyalty with pmUA.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 2:12 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Better than an RJ...

But agree on the mainline fleet the 737 has the worst First Class seats and environment. Been a while since I have been on one but those blaring advertisements for Direct TV at 6am was always rather obnoxious.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 2:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I dislike the newest F seat something special. But I also hate the pre-reclined sUA seat.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 5:10 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Absolutely agree and the new 737-900s are particularly tight. We'll see if the new First Class seats are any better.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 6:24 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Maybe it's just me but I HATE the legacy UA domestic F seats. There was a metal bar that run up the middle of the seat that was miserable. Same with the headrest - ugh.

I'd take the 737 F seat over that mess, but a lie flat over any of them.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: UA Gold
Just had a 2 segment trip, one on 737 and the other 320. I was just thinking this very same thing. The experience was night & day. On the 320, I'm taking off my coat, and the FA rushes over to hang it up. Refill on the PDB. On the 737, it was avoid eye contact with customers.

The only thing I like better is the sCO seat in front of you doesn't intrude into your space when fully reclined.

Also, tended to book 737 for a higher CPU chance, but with UPDI fares, I'll be taking the 320 when available.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 7:39 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
My biggest issue now with the sCO F seats (Koito) is that they seem to have fallen in disrepair. Very rarely do the seats recline 'evenly'... in my experience, the seatbacks seem to tilt more to one side, usually toward the aisle, which is uncomfortable. Also, some seats feel like the recline mechanism is poorly adjusted, as you'll sometimes encounter one that will go back way more than it is supposed to. The cushions are worn out, as well.

The sUA Recaro F seats seem to have withstood abuse better than their Koito counterparts. The BE Aerospace F seats on newer 737s are pretty crappy too, but generally in better shape than the Koitos. I find the headrest wings on the BE seats seem to loosen rather quickly, though.

The new F seats need to be broken in, but I like the additional storage, greater behind-leg support, power outlet accessibility and additional bulkhead legroom on the Airbus. I am ambivalent on the recline, which is definitely less than the sUA F seats used to have.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
The old sCO seats First seats on 737's are just awful. But the new seats on the 739's, are even worse. I won't step foot on another 739. Ever! The Airbus seats are night and day more comfortable.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: NZ *E
YES! I was just thinking as I came back from a flight on a 737-900 that I'm going to avoid the 737 fleet as much as possible from now on.

Night and day difference compared to the much more comfortable A320s -- it feels like the padding on the backrest of all those 737s are all worn out making it pretty hard and uncomfortable.

On my last flight, I did look back and see that economy had updated seats (737-900) -- I wonder if they'll ever update the 737 fleet in F or is it kinda stuck with the same old seat design due to the DirectTV PTVs?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by sbm12
I dislike the newest F seat something special. But I also hate the pre-reclined sUA seat.
really? I think they're way better than the straightjacket CO ones.

And they used to be made of cloth, so much more comfortable than the sticky un-breathing leather.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM
The new "slimline" F seats will make the current 737 F seats seem like thrones. In a few years you'll be wishing you had the current seats back!
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EWR764
My biggest issue now with the sCO F seats (Koito) is that they seem to have fallen in disrepair. Very rarely do the seats recline 'evenly'... in my experience, the seatbacks seem to tilt more to one side, usually toward the aisle, which is uncomfortable. Also, some seats feel like the recline mechanism is poorly adjusted, as you'll sometimes encounter one that will go back way more than it is supposed to.
Yes. It's particularly unpleasant to be stuck behind one of the broken recline tilting seats. I've had more than a few flights on 737s and 753s where the passenger in front of me was essentially in my lap.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:40 am

I definitely don't feel "first class" when I sit in those seats. Yes, compared to what's in the back they are first class, but that isn't hard to accomplish considering how horrible the Y seats are these days.

The whole first class experience itself is lacking, but that's a different topic.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I've never felt like I've had a bad experience in any CO/UA FC seat. Guess I'm just happy to be up front.

My worst FC experience was about a year ago on an AA MD80, where the guy in front of me reclined into my tray table and my drink spilled on my lap. I also get to try the pmUS FC cabinn on a couple of their Airbii next week...I've seen posts in the AA forum complaining about that experience.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Maybe it's just me but I HATE the legacy UA domestic F seats. There was a metal bar that run up the middle of the seat that was miserable. Same with the headrest - ugh.

I'd take the 737 F seat over that mess, but a lie flat over any of them.
Are you the GS I was standing next to before EWR-DEL last year that said he preferred the sCO J seat to the sUA GF seat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.