Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA SFO-China, why not midnight departures?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA SFO-China, why not midnight departures?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2016, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by sinoflyer
I had wondered about this, but I don't know whether 5-6 am landing slots are an issue. Also, dunno whether CA could help pull some strings...
CA is the government, so any strings they are pulling on their own. Put differently, I'm sure United could get CA to help in exchange for having the USG give CA some additional opportunities in the US.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by drewguy
CA is the government, so any strings they are pulling on their own.
So true. Touch!
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
To me, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to have an aircraft stuck at an outstation all day unless there's no other real option.
It makes sense in term of safety.

Increased takeoffs/landings will push the aircrafts to the limit. Given that it is a relatively aged aircraft. It is not wise to push that limit. (There is a reason why there were holes in 2 WN's B733 resulting emergency landings.)

Yes, SFO is a huge hub, so wouldn't a midnight departure allow UA to get connections all day? Pax who want some time in SF can arrive earlier, other pax can leave home at a decent hour rather than catch a 6am flight to SFO.
It will make more sense in term of revenue management.

AFAIK - UA always pushes for an early morning departure to SFO for connections, as most morning flights (except hub-to-hub), especially first flight, are not full and usually have the cheapest fare available. In that case, UA can preserve its valuable inventory.

A couple extra midnight widebody ops shouldn't scare the ATC folks at SFO.
No. City and County of San Francisco (SFO's operator) will get sued again for nuisance and lost again.

And the day I waste is wasted by doing a midday departure...
You are thinking this in your own perspective. However, in order to understand the situation, you have to think in the airlines' perspectives.

I have been in your situation before (prefer midnight departure). However, the more I fly, the better I understand and the more I like morning/afternoon departure. You will have to experience enough to tell the difference.

BTW - if you don't like UA's schedule, there are always other choices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.