Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it bad to frequently cancel flights within 24 hours?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it bad to frequently cancel flights within 24 hours?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Agree - I do that on a monthly basis. I did get a call recently about too many fare locks to a destination (with different origination dates) and they said I had to cancel some of them as I was tying up too many seats..... And they said if I didn't cancel some of them that UA was going to cancel them all - and no I didn't get any money back....
Seems reasonable to call you to cancel some of them.

Seems entirely unreasonable not to give you your money back. In that scenario, I would have requested my money back or disputed the charges for the cancelled farelock.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by kop84
I would draw a distinction booking a trip that you may be taking and the cancelling the next day, and rebooking for the same flight, you're really only tying up 1 seat that you're most likely using.

As opposed to booking a flight leaving Monday, another Tuesday, and another Wednesday, with the same O/D and then cancelling 2 of them as then you're tying up multiple seats with 2 of them you couldn't possibly take.

Or booking a flights all leaving Monday EWR/LAX, EWR/MIA, EWR/MSY again you're tying up at least 2 seats you can't possibly travel on.

The first scenario I don't think would be a huge deal (unless repeated an obnoxious amount of times), the other two I could see UA taking offense with impossible itineraries being booked.
To me, the two scenarios are the same. It is the difference between 'I don't know when I am going to the known destination' vs 'I don't know where I am going on Monday morning, different places and customers'. I don't see these two are the problems because at times you would have to make a decision when and where you need to fly to the customers' site or the headquarters. That is ok.

However, the two different cases between 'Booking last-minute tickets(leaving wthin 24)' vs 'Booking tickets far within seven or 14 business days'. Suppose you book the tickets with some time in advance, you should not have a problem. However, this specific case is going to cause problem, duplicate reservation. For example, some people in AA reported that if you want to secure a systemwide upgrade clearing, you have a restricted fare and you make another reservation to hold up a F/J space on the same flight, you are gaming the upgrade system - Always try to leave one seat for you to upgrade, with a seat empty then you would have a shot at the upgrade. That is against the T&Cs of FFPs.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Feb 18, 2016 at 1:51 pm
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:56 pm

UA can offer a fare hold for 24 hours or a refund within 24 hours of ticketing as mandated by the DOT (it's a little more complicated than this).

They choose to take your money up front and offer a refund, so I wouldn't worry about this.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
To me, the two scenarios are the same. It is the difference between 'I don't know when I am going to the known destination' vs 'I don't know where I am going on Monday morning, different places and customers'. I don't see these two are the problems because at times you would have to make a decision when and where you need to fly to the customers' site or the headquarters. That is ok.
I had outlined 3 scenarios.

Cxld Rebook for the same itinerary over multiple days still only holds 1 seat at a time.

The other scenarios you are holding multiple seats at the same time.

One person should be able to hold One seat a time, I don't think that's an unreasonable policy.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by United757
UA can offer a fare hold for 24 hours or a refund within 24 hours of ticketing as mandated by the DOT (it's a little more complicated than this).

They choose to take your money up front and offer a refund, so I wouldn't worry about this.
Indeed, I wonder if they could take any punitive action under DOT's rules so long as the OP were doing this with paid tickets for which he requests a refund within 24 hours.

Obviously some of the other questions posed (FF tickets) may raise different issues.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 2:28 pm

Cxld Rebook for the same itinerary over multiple days still only holds 1 seat at a time.

One person should be able to hold One seat a time, I don't think that's an unreasonable policy.
Unless the person is buying fully refundable tickets (or using miles) they can hold multiple seats for only 24 hours - DOT has implicitly decided that must be allowed, at least more than 7 days before travel.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by drewguy
Unless the person is buying fully refundable tickets (or using miles) they can hold multiple seats for only 24 hours - DOT has implicitly decided that must be allowed, at least more than 7 days before travel.
I had no idea about this - very interesting in respect of juggling award flight changes. Any source?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by drewguy
DOT has implicitly decided that must be allowed, at least more than 7 days before travel.
Hmm . . . not sure I agree with that conclusion.

All DOT says is you have to offer a 24 hour no-cost hold. If UA determines that a pax is abusing that rule by booking tix with no intent to fly, there's nothing that prohibits UA from terminating their MP membership and banning them from the airline.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:26 pm

OK. I see there are three cases here. However, I must say I don't think that is the correct assumption that one should hold one seat at a time. You are assuming one person can go to the same airline for the outbound and the inbound.

There are three factors that make your case much more complicated to implement and enforced.

1. FFP recorded in the account: If a specific person books three different destinations on the same day without FFP, it requires more work to identify if that is coming from the same person. (e.g. contractor booking in Expedia/Priceline/CWT/Orbtiz). Think about how many seats you can get on the same day? To do the concrete check in bruce-force, you are going to take a lot of time to find out if one has the same ticket to multiple destinations on the same day from the same origin.

2. You can take different flights as a return. Suppose you take EWR-ORD. You take UA on the way out, and how about AA on the way back? How are we gonna determine if you are abusing the ticket systems by occupying different seats in different flights at the same time?

3. How to define 'at the same time'? There are so many people commuting ORD-EWR, ORD-DEN, ORD-IAH, DCA-IAH every single day. By following your logic(Mon, Tue, Wed, same O/D), Would they be taking multiple seats at the same time?

I believe that the airlines are trying to prevent multiple reservations when they know passengers cannot make them all at the same time(Duplicate reservations) as an attempt to secure their own upgrade. Other than that, it is very difficult to determine what the intention was to book multiple tickets on the same day or on consecutive days in the week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.