FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is it bad to frequently cancel flights within 24 hours?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 4:26 pm
PaulInTheSky

Originally Posted by kop84
I had outlined 3 scenarios.

Cxld Rebook for the same itinerary over multiple days still only holds 1 seat at a time.

The other scenarios you are holding multiple seats at the same time.

One person should be able to hold One seat a time, I don't think that's an unreasonable policy.
OK. I see there are three cases here. However, I must say I don't think that is the correct assumption that one should hold one seat at a time. You are assuming one person can go to the same airline for the outbound and the inbound.

There are three factors that make your case much more complicated to implement and enforced.

1. FFP recorded in the account: If a specific person books three different destinations on the same day without FFP, it requires more work to identify if that is coming from the same person. (e.g. contractor booking in Expedia/Priceline/CWT/Orbtiz). Think about how many seats you can get on the same day? To do the concrete check in bruce-force, you are going to take a lot of time to find out if one has the same ticket to multiple destinations on the same day from the same origin.

2. You can take different flights as a return. Suppose you take EWR-ORD. You take UA on the way out, and how about AA on the way back? How are we gonna determine if you are abusing the ticket systems by occupying different seats in different flights at the same time?

3. How to define 'at the same time'? There are so many people commuting ORD-EWR, ORD-DEN, ORD-IAH, DCA-IAH every single day. By following your logic(Mon, Tue, Wed, same O/D), Would they be taking multiple seats at the same time?

I believe that the airlines are trying to prevent multiple reservations when they know passengers cannot make them all at the same time(Duplicate reservations) as an attempt to secure their own upgrade. Other than that, it is very difficult to determine what the intention was to book multiple tickets on the same day or on consecutive days in the week.