Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to drop originating segment without repricing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2016, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P

Quick question for the UA experts here. I am currently in Europe and am scheduled to fly from XXX-ORD-LHR this coming Saturday. Just found out I have to go to HKG for a few days and then will fly back from Asia, arriving Saturday from Narita at 2:30pm and then would like catch my original 9pm red eye to LHR - this means that I need to drop my original XXX-ORD segment and would like to leave all of the other flights on that ticket alone.

Before I call GS is there anything magical I could say or do? When I tried to do it online it tries to charge me another $5k plus a $750 change fee... Obviously no-showing on the XXX-ORD will cancel everything downstream so that's not an option. Really would not like to spend an extra $6k just to cancel a cheap UE feeder segment!
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
There is no way to do that. The only possibility you have is if there are IROPS in Chicago (aka weather waiver) for your initial flight.

Otherwise you are looking at a complete cancel of the current ticket and applying the value to a new ticket. Then UA will charge you the change fees on top of that.

-RM
Old Feb 15, 2016, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
There is no way to do that. The only possibility you have is if there are IROPS in Chicago (aka weather waiver) for your initial flight.

Otherwise you are looking at a complete cancel of the current ticket and applying the value to a new ticket. Then UA will charge you the change fees on top of that.

-RM
Thanks - I guess I knew it but was still hopeful.....
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:35 am

Programs: Lots
I was in this exact scenario once and the GS desk fixed it for me. Obviously a huge YMMV, but if you go in with zero expectations and a ton of charm, you may be surprised at the outcome.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Short of a weather waiver of irop on Saturday, you're probably looking at a large fare difference + fees, as you found out.

It may be cheaper for purchase a ORD-XXX (or HKG-ORD-XXX) to pick up your original itinerary. If the time slows, great. It the schedule is such that going to XXX is impossible, you may want to book it anyway and then SDC your XXX-ORD-LHR. Just some ideas...
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
won't hurt to ask at the airport. a random IAH CS agent did it for me a few years back - i don't even think i had status at the time.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Short of a weather waiver of irop on Saturday, you're probably looking at a large fare difference + fees, as you found out.

It may be cheaper for purchase a ORD-XXX (or HKG-ORD-XXX) to pick up your original itinerary. If the time slows, great. It the schedule is such that going to XXX is impossible, you may want to book it anyway and then SDC your XXX-ORD-LHR. Just some ideas...
The issue is that it appears that the timing of a HKG-ORD-XXX segment makes it impossible. My flight leaves XXX at 5:19pm - I can't get to XXX before 8:20pm. My best financial option at this point is to change my flight to LHR to the next day and give up a day in London - then I only pay $750 change fee...

I will still try and charm the GS desk though and have them book my other $8k ticket to/from HKG - maybe that would cause them to just eliminate the $283 flight from XXX-ORD, but likely not...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.