Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Business MP Award Availability Issues for Singapore Air SQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2016, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Business MP Award Availability Issues for Singapore Air SQ

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.0.2; HTC One Build/LRX22G) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/47.0.2526.83 Mobile Safari/537.36)

I would suggest checking on ANA or AC for SQ award space. Singapore offers different inventory to its own members vs star alliance.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 7:57 am

All 772 longhaul C availability on SQ (IST/CPH/FCO/ATH/JNB/CHC/SYD) have been blocked using partners for at least a few months now.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 9:59 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
All 772 longhaul C availability on SQ (IST/CPH/FCO/ATH/JNB/CHC/SYD) have been blocked using partners for at least a few months now.
Whoa! That is unfortunate news. Blocked as in no star alliance partner can book a long haul C seat on SQ, even intra Asia like SIN to Aus, or blocked as in none of the websites can see availability?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:26 am

No Star Alliance partner can book a long haul seat on a long-haul business class cabin.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
I wonder when SQ will announce "this marriage (i.e Star Alliance) is a farce to us" and we are officially calling it quits.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I don't think Australia counts as Asia.

Where would SQ go?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:07 pm

SIN to WLG

Just yesterday I was able to book the new capital route SQ291 in C, SIN to CBR to WLG for travel in December, on a 772.

Also took SQ 237 SIN to MEL in C on 773 last month.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by luckypierre
Whoa! That is unfortunate news. Blocked as in no star alliance partner can book a long haul C seat on SQ, even intra Asia like SIN to Aus, or blocked as in none of the websites can see availability?
SQ blocked the CHC flights because the 772s assigned to this market have been refitted with flat beds in J so SQ will not release seats to its partners.

You can still book intra-Asia flights, though award availability is usually limited to regional 777s.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: AF LTP, LH Sen, M Amb
Originally Posted by fly747first
SQ blocked the CHC flights because the 772s assigned to this market have been refitted with flat beds in J
and that's exactly why anyone would want to book that flight .

At least a year ago that policy ('no J for partners') covered 77W and A380 only. I was able to book IST-SIN operated by 772 retrofitted (pretty much the same product as on 77W). Too bad it's gone.

belfordrocks, thank you for your response. It pretty much explains everything. SQ just gone from blocking J class on particular aircraft to blocking longhaul J class no matter what aircraft is deployed.

I was always wondering how SQ could get rid off releasing J class so easily within *A? Are partners ok with that? Though it's kinda beneficial for them. When KrisFlyer member books LH F, LH gets reimbursed for that by SQ, while LH never reimburse to SQ, since it cannot book a seat on SQ.

At least SQ is transparent about that (*sort of*). I could not find a single day when Air New Zealand business class is available for partners from tomorrow until 30/11/2016 (HKG-AKL, SIN-AKL, SGN-AKL). Pathetic.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by urww
and that's exactly why anyone would want to book that flight .

At least a year ago that policy ('no J for partners') covered 77W and A380 only. I was able to book IST-SIN operated by 772 retrofitted (pretty much the same product as on 77W). Too bad it's gone.

belfordrocks, thank you for your response. It pretty much explains everything. SQ just gone from blocking J class on particular aircraft to blocking longhaul J class no matter what aircraft is deployed.

I was always wondering how SQ could get rid off releasing J class so easily within *A? Are partners ok with that? Though it's kinda beneficial for them. When KrisFlyer member books LH F, LH gets reimbursed for that by SQ, while LH never reimburse to SQ, since it cannot book a seat on SQ.

At least SQ is transparent about that (*sort of*). I could not find a single day when Air New Zealand business class is available for partners from tomorrow until 30/11/2016 (HKG-AKL, SIN-AKL, SGN-AKL). Pathetic.
It's also pretty clear you can't book Air NZ J as well. LX F is also restricted to M&M only.

*edit: at least for NZ to the US. Not sure about Oceania-Asia
Old Feb 6, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: AF LTP, LH Sen, M Amb
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
It's also pretty clear you can't book Air NZ J as well. LX F is also restricted to M&M only.
LX F is well-known policy (as well as LH F 2 weeks window, as well as AF F availability for elite members only, as well as SQ and so on), it's not a secret. However I've never heard about restrictions imposed on NZ C availably. Is that mentioned anywhere?
Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA-1K MM, AA-Gold, DL-Silver, AS-MVP
Originally Posted by JVPhoto

*edit: at least for NZ to the US. Not sure about Oceania-Asia
I was able to book 3 J seats Oceania-Japan on NZ 777 last year. They should be still available.

I think NZ just doesn't release any award seats for their North America flights.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by UAFlyer
Just yesterday I was able to book the new capital route SQ291 in C, SIN to CBR to WLG for travel in December, on a 772.

Also took SQ 237 SIN to MEL in C on 773 last month.
Those are not operated by long haul aircraft.

Originally Posted by urww
Because *A needs SQ more than SQ needs *A.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the spirit of SQ's "partnership" with *A I go out of my way to avoid SQ. Have not given them a dime of business in at least 3 years.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:40 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by belfordrocks

Because *A needs SQ more than SQ needs *A.
Does *A really need SQ? Honest question, I have never flown them and don't spend time in that region. TG, NH, and CA give the region quite a bit of coverage even if not with the same service standard. Still, not sure what it does for the alliance specifically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.