Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum the new silver

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aacharya
As everyone should know, January is when we all try to burn those RPUs/GPUs that expire. So CPUs are even harder then. Wasted two on Friday.

But as a corollary, my EWR-DFW flight this Friday cleared me and a companion at T-96 today.
Also the time when drinks are flowing relatively freely in economy, as beverage coupons are getting used up before they expire

Originally Posted by UAL250
As others have said, it depends what route you're flying. If you fly SFO-IAD or ORD-IAH often then you'll be disappointed. If you fly out of MCO, BWI, or SAT you'll be happy.

Platinum has plenty of worthwhile benefits over Silver and Gold.
Pt does indeed have many nice benefits over Ag and Au. In addition to free award changes and redeposits, Group 1 and E+ companion limits are huge. I mentioned in another thread, but hoping my family's E+ assignments stick until our spring break trip in March. Otherwise, I will try to fall back to 2 in E+ and 2 in the E- row directly behind, if available.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 11:00 am Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Feb 1, 2016, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Platinum may not be so useful for CPU -- my UG percentage as a Plat on PDX-SFO commutes last year was less than 10% -- but there are other benefits:

I get E+ every single time* and bring my whole family with me when they travel
Always board in group 1 and get overhead space at my seat
Very easy to use my miles and redeposit for free

* not when booking last minute

Go fly for a year as a silver and tell me you don't wish you were Platinum again; even if as Plats we're close but not close enough to the top of the UG list.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Wait, so if Platinum "now" is the new Silver, and I am currently a Silver "now" - whats the new thing for me?

Longtime loyal CO flyer.

Was a Silver Elite mostly (Gold some years / Bronze others)

Flying was unreal. My upgrades would happen about 70% for me. Most routes were LAX-JAX , LAX-IAH, and/or LAX-EWR

Those days are long gone.

I'll bet the Silver "now" isnt even the new Bronze is it?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
My experience as a continuing Platinum -
GS & 1K free drink, then add free snack/food, then watched upgrade possibility fade away tomorrow(HDN-IAH) and then pushed back farther on boarding with families with small children boarding ahead. Can't wait to find my E+ aisle seat filled with someone who is sure I won't mind that E- middle in the back.

Add my United Club membership as a single female person who gets a limited number of guests versus someone with spouse and an unlimited number of children as guests. Welcome to 1960.

I am grateful for nonstops out of Denver to some small places but close to three hours on a CRJ 200 is not all that fab.

Sorry for the rant but I don't feel valued and half of my travel(all of the international) is on my dime.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
Yeah that is the issue. I used an RPU for a HNL-LAS flight via SFO last week. Cleared HNL-SFO no issues (R was available at booking). Ended up #5 on the waitlist as a 1K with an instrument on the SFO-LAS flight, on a RJ700, on a Wednesday afternoon no less. It is a head scratcher sometimes.

Conversely, more of a head scratcher, today (a Monday), I was CPUed at the 3+ day mark on a LAS-IAH noonish flight. I don't get it sometimes.
I can give you a little insight into the SFO-LAS issue. I recently flew in F on this route because it was the cheapest option to go from SFO-ORD. For some bizarre reason the ticket priced out in F on that leg. Anyhow, it is possible that this is the reason you didn't get the UG on the route - F seats were sold cheaply to route people through LAS on onwards to ORD.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
14/14 CPU since October. I still have yet to experience the new policy regarding free first drink in Y.
FYI all flights round trip from IAH with N booking code.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bruin1K
14/14 CPU since October. I still have yet to experience the new policy regarding free first drink in Y.
FYI all flights round trip from IAH with N booking code.
If you are 14/14 for CPU's are you ever in coach to get the free drink experience?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
I was in Y from ewr-hnl last week, I got free drinks and two free meals.. that rocks.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
If you are 14/14 for CPU's are you ever in coach to get the free drink experience?
That was my point. I am waiting to be in coach to see if I get the free drink but then the CPU clears!
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bruin1K
That was my point. I am waiting to be in coach to see if I get the free drink but then the CPU clears!
You can always refuse the CPU and see if you get the free drink
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Baze
You can always refuse the CPU and see if you get the free drink
Good one! 😂
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Anyone who chases status for CPUs these days is bound to be disappointed.

Platinum benefits are substantially better than Silver. The free award changes are particularly important to me.
"Substantially" for sure. Bad analogy to compare Plat to Silver.

My Silver coworker, with whom I travel fairly often, is consistently in E- while I'm in the exit row. She doesn't even know what a free SDC is. Another Silver coworker was complaining about $75 change fees last week when we were at the airport.

It might be fair to say Plat=Gold, but Silver really is no better than general membership.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 7:55 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by blueman2
1K here. 0 of 5 CPUs on most recent flight segments in coach. 1K is the new Silver.

Worse, I am 0 of 3 on RPUs!!!
+++++ Couldn't even clear SFO-PSP this year so far....
Old Feb 1, 2016, 10:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cyborg
I'm wondering how many award changes are needed to offset the PQD difference between Gold and Platinum?
I make an awful lot of award changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.