Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Starting nonstop flight SFO-SIN - June 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Starting nonstop flight SFO-SIN - June 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
This is awesome! Although I actually enjoy transiting through NRT, this is welcome news!
Old Jan 29, 2016, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by goodeats21
Maybe I missed something, but I don't think you are going to connect in NRT to get to SIN on United metal. Maybe you mean switching over to ANA leg for it?

I have no idea what plane ANA uses for their NRT<->SIN runs, but their 787 economy seating can be really really really bad.
I am happy that UA has started this route. I will fly it, provided I'm sitting up front. Absent an upgrade - or United joining AA and installing a real Premium economy - I'll be flying UA through HKG or on the competition.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by exerda
Wonder what the connection options look like? Probably require overnighting one way or the other...
With an early morning SIN arrival, connection options are plentiful on TG, SQ, or various LCCs. You lose two nights on the flight.

The return from BKK would require an overnight.

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
And what do you do upon arrival in SIN - head directly to the office?
Yeah this is a great arrival for an onward connection in SE Asia, not so much if you're terminating in SIN. There's also the whole "will the hotel let me check in at 7 a.m." thing.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:29 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
And what do you do upon arrival in SIN - head directly to the office?
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah this is a great arrival for an onward connection in SE Asia, not so much if you're terminating in SIN. There's also the whole "will the hotel let me check in at 7 a.m." thing.
For years, I have been flying to Singapore from Chicago via UA 895 arriving between 1 and 2 AM in the morning. I typically arrive well rested as I have slept on the flights between Chicago and Singapore with the one stop in Hong Kong.

When I check into my hotel, I am rarely able to actually grab any extra sleep as I'm not tired enough to do so. A 6:45 AM arrival is perfect for me and many of my colleagues. We would book the hotel room for the prior night, check in in the morning, freshen up/take showers, and head out to the office roughly by 9 AM for a days worth of meetings. This is much more efficient for me and many of those with whom I work.

As a side reference, I have colleagues who do not like to take UA 895 to Hong Kong because it arrives in the evening when they are already well rested. Many prefer the overnight connections on Cathay from the west coast which arrive at 5 or 6 AM. Your sleep the whole way over and you arrive right in the morning ready to do business.

I believe the new service that United is offering to Singapore will attract many flyers like this, myself included.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
16+ hour flight in a 17" wide seat with at most, 4" recline??

You've got to be kidding me.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by RealFan
For years, I have been flying to Singapore from Chicago via UA 895 arriving between 1 and 2 AM in the morning. I typically arrive well rested as I have slept on the flights between Chicago and Singapore with the one stop in Hong Kong.

When I check into my hotel, I am rarely able to actually grab any extra sleep as I'm not tired enough to do so. A 6:45 AM arrival is perfect for me and many of my colleagues. We would book the hotel room for the prior night, check in in the morning, freshen up/take showers, and head out to the office roughly by 9 AM for a days worth of meetings. This is much more efficient for me and many of those with whom I work.

As a side reference, I have colleagues who do not like to take UA 895 to Hong Kong because it arrives in the evening when they are already well rested. Many prefer the overnight connections on Cathay from the west coast which arrive at 5 or 6 AM. Your sleep the whole way over and you arrive right in the morning ready to do business.

I believe the new service that United is offering to Singapore will attract many flyers like this, myself included.
I guess it works both ways for some people. I prefer the late arrival into SIN. I get to my hotel, fall right to sleep, and get to work the next morning. This schedule now requires me to hang out in SIN all day on arrival, and it adds a wasted day when I would rather be back home with my family.

Hotels are very stingy with allowing you to book the earlier night and not show up until 8am. Most of the hotel systems backup around 4am, and anything after that, is the next day.

I can see both ways though, as someone who gets very little sleep on an airplane, I much prefer the late night arrival and will continue to go thru HKG.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:42 am

Programs: Statusless and proud
Originally Posted by work2fly

Everyone has options. Those don't like the long flights don't have to take them. I could fly MCI-DEN-SEA-ANC-PKC-NRT-HKG-BKK-SIN if I didn't want to have any flights over 4 hours. Or I can now fly MCI-SFO-SIN. YMMV.

Chris
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:48 am

I'm wondering if UA will do something to bump up the Business Class soft product to make the comparison with SQ a little less stark? Maybe better meals, PJs, better wines? None of these would cost much if kept to this flight and would give UA a chance to test market these enhancements. AA has done something similar with its LAX/SYD flight.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Alright UA ^^^

I've been looking at a way to get home from SIN for a winter trip, this is already loaded in the system. I know UA J is inferior to other options, but non stop is great.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I guess it works both ways for some people. I prefer the late arrival into SIN. I get to my hotel, fall right to sleep, and get to work the next morning. This schedule now requires me to hang out in SIN all day on arrival, and it adds a wasted day when I would rather be back home with my family.

Hotels are very stingy with allowing you to book the earlier night and not show up until 8am. Most of the hotel systems backup around 4am, and anything after that, is the next day.

I can see both ways though, as someone who gets very little sleep on an airplane, I much prefer the late night arrival and will continue to go thru HKG.
I totally see your point. I sleep very well on planes, almost too well :-) Therefore, when I arrive into my hotel at roughly 2 AM in Singapore, I can't fall asleep and end up working for four or five hours before the meetings start up the next morning. Then by mid day I'm exhausted.

This new flight will allow me to sleep all the way into Singapore and get going with my day in a much more refreshed state. I hope to be able to conduct a full day of business without feeling too tired. Also, in my 25 years of traveling to Asia, I have never had a problem booking a hotel for the prior night and checking in as late as 9 or 10 AM the next day so long as I note that on the reservation when it is made. I'm not really sure why the hotel would care if the room is paid for and they are aware of the ultra late check in time?

My firm does a lot of business in Singapore and many of my colleagues are very excited by this new service announcement.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:14 am

I am totally with you on this point. The 787 really is a great airplane but most airlines have ruined the experience with the seat size and configuration. Too bad.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Madone59
Alright UA ^^^

I've been looking at a way to get home from SIN for a winter trip, this is already loaded in the system. I know UA J is inferior to other options, but non stop is great.
Ditto in Feb I'm booking SJC-NRT-BKK NH BKK-SIN SQ SIN-SFO UA for later in the year.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, AA, IHG Ambassador, Marriott Gold

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
I am totally with you on this point. The 787 really is a great airplane but most airlines have ruined the experience with the seat size and configuration. Too bad.
+1

Up front, or forget it!
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I haven't been to SIN yet, but interesting option to use for BKK.

Regarding all the early arrival debate...is there an arrivals facility at SIN that folks can use in lieu of booking an extra hotel night? Would make a lot of sense for a 6AM arrival to be able to grab a shower and breakfast at the airport before a day of work.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:00 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by halls120
I am happy that UA has started this route. I will fly it, provided I'm sitting up front. Absent an upgrade - or United joining AA and installing a real Premium economy - I'll be flying UA through HKG or on the competition.
+1

My last trip to SIN was via TPE on BR. They offer an excellent Premium Economy option that is most affordable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.