Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"United to throttle down in Houston even as profits soar" - Houston Chronicle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"United to throttle down in Houston even as profits soar" - Houston Chronicle

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
It's been speculated that it's more cost effective to bump up DEN and minimize growth at IAH. You'll probably see frequency dips from IAH and maybe some international cuts but I do believe it's going to be minimal.
DEN has been neglected for ages, and the Denver area economy is doing well, so I suspect it just makes good business sense.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Per the post title, IAH-GIG (post titles don't show on mobile, right?)
Indeed I was on mobile, thanks.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by iquitos
777 going to 787.
It has already been that off and on (IAH-GIG). It was on a 787 on my last trip back in December also.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by iquitos
Most of those changes have been reversed as the bulk of 787 flying will be focused on the West Coast for the foreseeable future.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 8:21 am

Programs: Delta Plat, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
After the bust, it'll take a year or so to see more and more downsizing due to smaller companies going bankrupt(takes time). Everyone sees this coming and will strain the economy here...makes sense for united to not see growth coming. Lets just hope it doesn't get too out of hand.
Old Feb 29, 2016, 10:15 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Except IAH is the only fully operational flight through winter (all relative). DEN, ORD, EWR and IAD are all prone to massive snow storms as we have seen this winter already. One snow storm and IAD and EWR are both shut down for days. SFO is plagued by fog a good part of the year so it's not ideal either.
To be fair, the snowstorm which shut down IAD for days was historic in its size. The typical winter weather here doesn't lead to total shutdowns, just to delays. Our winter average total snowfall is around 14 inches. When you get more than double that in a single storm... yeah, it's a mess.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 1:41 pm

Most of UA's hubs are bad for weather related delays. ORD/EWR/SFO especially. IAH's flat growth is also affected since it's too far south for east/west connections and it's compounded by the local economy.

IAD should be expanded - EWR is the real problem in the network on many levels.
EWR may be plagued by operational issues, but after SFO isn't EWR UAL's top performing hub in terms of yields ?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 4:32 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Most of UA's hubs are bad for weather related delays. ORD/EWR/SFO especially. IAH's flat growth is also affected since it's too far south for east/west connections and it's compounded by the local economy.

IAD should be expanded - EWR is the real problem in the network on many levels.
AA in DFW and the former US in PHX might argue differently about southern locations and east/west connections, but no doubt about the local economy. Unfortunately for Houston (and all of the oil-rich South), the bloodletting is only partially through.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 5:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
UA is talking about growth at this time? Lol.

Does anyone have Southwest's # to show if it's actually Oil that's killing UA 100% or is WN grabbing the marketshare?

Yes oil hurts but people still have to fly.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by TennisNoob

Does anyone have Southwest's # to show if it's actually Oil that's killing UA 100% or is WN grabbing the marketshare?

There are LOTS of oilfield services people that are not traveling right now. Some aren't working at all but others have just throttled back. If they are based in Houston and don't have a field assignment then they do not still have to fly. They get to stay home.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TennisNoob

When I was looking at flights out to West Texas WN's fares from HOU-Midland were just as high with a free stop in Dallas, if not higher than UA's direct flight from IAH-Midland.

WN is probably showing growth simply because they have opened so many more routes. If you exclude the international routes, the results might look similar.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:11 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
When I was looking at flights out to West Texas WN's fares from HOU-Midland were just as high with a free stop in Dallas, if not higher than UA's direct flight from IAH-Midland.

WN is probably showing growth simply because they have opened so many more routes. If you exclude the international routes, the results might look similar.
Am amazed how this legacy (not that AA is much better) is most often cheaper than LCC WN

OTOH, Southwest effect is still with us, making the whole pricing thing something of an enigma
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Am amazed how this legacy (not that AA is much better) is most often cheaper than LCC WN

OTOH, Southwest effect is still with us, making the whole pricing thing something of an enigma
Well, for many years WN was actually cheaper than the legacies. I flew them almost exclusively in college. They had the only direct SAT-TPA flight of any airline and it was still cheaper than connecting flights on both CO... RIP or DL. But at some point WN management realized they had the reputation of being low cost, so why not raise prices and see if people noticed. Their decision to refuse to participate in Google flights and other OTAs hides their fares, so people still think WN is low cost when in reality many times it isn't, but most of them are too lazy to do 2 searches to find out the truth.

Any trip I take I price via Google Flights and Southwest. Out of Houston, it is very rare that I find a flight that is cheaper on WN. If it is cheaper, it's because it requires a stop in DAL or ATL and there is usually a direct UA flight that is marginally more expensive. In that case I'll fly UA. Once in the past 3-4 years I've found a flight routing on WN out of HOU that was non-stop, cheaper than UA, and fit my time table. So I booked it and am flying it in June.

But as I mentioned on a previous page, the best thing about WN flying international routes from HOU is it has had a huge effect on lowering UA's fares from IAH. In December I went to Mexico on UA, same price as WN, and got CPU'd in both directions. Win Win.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rishib
Was just on MUC-IAH in Jan. It was pretty full, definitely lots of connecting traffic. (we connected from BOM) Would be surprised that gets cut.
Originally Posted by cfischer
MUC is hit or miss. I have seen 1/3 full Y (C was full) ... now if c loads are going down ... that route may not survive.

It's also a fairly new route and with LH continuing to use MUC for Asia travel it is a good feeder flight for UA.
If anything I could see AMS go before MUC.

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Except IAH is the only fully operational flight through winter (all relative). DEN, ORD, EWR and IAD are all prone to massive snow storms as we have seen this winter already. One snow storm and IAD and EWR are both shut down for days. SFO is plagued by fog a good part of the year so it's not ideal either.

IAH, of course, can fail in summer with the flooding and thunderstorms they get but these days are more rare than snow in the other hubs or fog in SFO.
LAX still offers the best operational environment weatherwise.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by critten
After the bust, it'll take a year or so to see more and more downsizing due to smaller companies going bankrupt(takes time). Everyone sees this coming and will strain the economy here...makes sense for united to not see growth coming. Lets just hope it doesn't get too out of hand.
The one silver lining in this gloomy scenario for Houston is that as the petro industry continues its contraction in this severe cyclical downturn, the residual elements of various companies consolidated what was left of their operations in Houston, atleast that was the pattern for many companies back in the industries devastating downsizing of the 1980s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.