Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"United to throttle down in Houston even as profits soar" - Houston Chronicle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2016, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Saw on A.net that there was a discussion about this article (paywall): http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news...as-6775660.php

Basically states that IAH will no longer see the planned growth it was originally marked for. Instead it will just see flat growth.

With that in mind, it still might make sense for UA to cut some frequency routes. Are there any routes that come to mind?

There was a lot of discussion about MUC and ISN mostly. ISN makes sense, but MUC not so much. That flight is usually pretty well traveled, not sure about cargo though.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:32 pm

Location: Washington D.C. via Sao Paulo via Houston via Washington D.C. via Boston via New York
Oil and gas market is down at the moment and that's what Houston is built on, that combined with Southwest making Hobby a viable option for LCC travel, United is getting pissy about it and have been very vocal about the Hobby expansion.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Oil and Gas Companies here in Houston are downsizing and economizing like crazy. Not surprised that this is hitting Airline Travel out of IAH. Almost every week there are articles about lay-offs and I expect the small fry to start folding soon too.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by JoesRevenge
Saw on A.net that there was a discussion about this article (paywall): http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news...as-6775660.php

Basically states that IAH will no longer see the planned growth it was originally marked for. Instead it will just see flat growth.

With that in mind, it still might make sense for UA to cut some frequency routes. Are there any routes that come to mind?

There was a lot of discussion about MUC and ISN mostly. ISN makes sense, but MUC not so much. That flight is usually pretty well traveled, not sure about cargo though.
Google the article title and the top hit should be the article, without paywall.

If UA is looking to shift some capacity, send it up to CLE!
Old Jan 25, 2016, 3:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The challenge will be maintaining flat capacity while the 50-seat planes are dropping out of the fleet. This generally means route or frequency cuts even when total capacity is ticking up only a small amount. Holding it flat means there will almost certainly be cuts around the hub.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
The challenge will be maintaining flat capacity while the 50-seat planes are dropping out of the fleet. This generally means route or frequency cuts even when total capacity is ticking up only a small amount. Holding it flat means there will almost certainly be cuts around the hub.
The oil centered, ERJ 145 ones certainly could, but the other ones will go ERJ 175 or upgauged to mainline.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
I doubt MUC will go away. ISN and HOB may go away. I could see YYC taking a reduction in frequencies or change of equipment.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
The O&G fraction of the Texas economy is showing stress-Halliburton announced shedding another 4K jobs. Judging from anecdotal stories, primarily real estate, starting to spill over into other sectors. I was not surprised when execs at the previous quarterly telecon expressed surprise at the disappearance of the HVF oilman. Reminded me that the merged entity is no longer a Houston based enterprise.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1.56MM (fmr UA1K)
Originally Posted by Hartmann
I could see YYC taking a reduction in frequencies or change of equipment.
Given the oil situation there is a crazy amount of amount of seats from Iah-yyc... The prices reflect that too. Normally a crazy amount of money to fly Houston to just about anywhere in Canada.. But deals can be found now to Calgary. It sure wouldn't surprise me to see Westjet pull/replace their flight iah-yyc

I'd be surprised to see MUC go away... Lots of connecting traffic.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Article clip:

"For Jack Stelzer, a retired Houston-based airline consultant and senior airline executive, United's announcement sparked some unease. He said he wishes United would invest more in the city and add international routes instead of ceding ground to foreign carriers that have entered the market the last couple of years.

"'I'd be somewhat concerned about how United seems to be backing away from Houston in small steps while other carriers are coming into Houston,' he said."

Isn't that the whole United story since the merger, in one market after another? When are they going to fight for market share, or try to stimulate traffic, instead of reflexively "ceding ground"?
Old Jan 26, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
It's not the first time Houston has seen its economy decline due to low oil prices and it won't be the last either. Oil & gas is notorious for its boom and bust business cycles.

UA is just reacting to the fluctuations in the economy and I have no doubt that contractions in seat capacity are all but inevitable. No reason to think that the sky is falling however.

If they're smart they'll take the opportunity to diversify their operations and spread the fleet around the other hubs though. Record low oil prices all but guarantee increased profit margins for all carriers in the next few years.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by luckypierre
The O&G fraction of the Texas economy is showing stress-Halliburton announced shedding another 4K jobs. Judging from anecdotal stories, primarily real estate, starting to spill over into other sectors. I was not surprised when execs at the previous quarterly telecon expressed surprise at the disappearance of the HVF oilman. Reminded me that the merged entity is no longer a Houston based enterprise.
Among the larger metros it's primarily Houston since Austin, SA, & DFW have only a smattering of O&G as compared to Houston's heavy concentration.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Could fill with props. I'm sure somebodys got them sitting around.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 7:43 pm

Houston is not as hitched to O&G as it was in the 80s. You have substantial Healthcare, finance, and tech footprints here now which would soften the blow.

Meanwhile Southwest is doing very well out of HOU and other carriers are increasing their flights to IAH. I think I read recently ANZ is moving their AKL/IAH route to a 787? and going from 3 to 5 weekly.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 1:55 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Originally Posted by macdonaldj2
Oil and gas market is down at the moment and that's what Houston is built on, that combined with Southwest making Hobby a viable option for LCC travel, United is getting pissy about it and have been very vocal about the Hobby expansion.

Southwest is not the LCC that it used to be although that is how it is still perceived by many. Virtually every time I have compared UA to SW, SW is the exact same price and sometimes even more than UA for markets served nonstop by both airlines out of houston.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.