Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"United to throttle down in Houston even as profits soar" - Houston Chronicle

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"United to throttle down in Houston even as profits soar" - Houston Chronicle

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2016, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by avi8tir
Virtually every time I have compared UA to SW, SW is the exact same price and sometimes even more than UA for markets served nonstop by both airlines out of houston.
To be fair, that's they way it has almost always been. If WN is in a market, the legacies have usually changed their fares to match. Granted, WN isn't as low fare as it used to be, but I'm betting fares in markets that WN competes with legacies are generally lower than fares in similar markets that a legacy such as UA might have a monopoly.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:47 am

Granted during the weekend of the Super Bowl 50 in SJC

3 months earlier, I wanted to book 2 seats there. UA has shrunk down to only 1 nonstop. And UA wanted $927 for that IAH SJC round trip. So I checked HOU, SW wanted $229. Off to HOU I went.
And intermittently I checked, even with the one stopper via DEN, etc...UA still priced that trip to min of over $400.
Really smart pricings with their computers and yields management.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:08 am

Southwest is not the LCC that it used to be although that is how it is still perceived by many. Virtually every time I have compared UA to SW, SW is the exact same price and sometimes even more than UA for markets served nonstop by both airlines out of houston.
Spot on. Flew IAH to TPA recently and SW was about $100 more out of HOU
I have yet to go through the new terminal there but I hear it's nice.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 11:14 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold
Was just on MUC-IAH in Jan. It was pretty full, definitely lots of connecting traffic. (we connected from BOM) Would be surprised that gets cut.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Southwest is not the LCC that it used to be although that is how it is still perceived by many. Virtually every time I have compared UA to SW, SW is the exact same price and sometimes even more than UA for markets served nonstop by both airlines out of houston.
The best thing about WN starting international flights out of HOU is it has pulled the UA fares back down to reality. What used to be a $600 flight to Mexico a couple of years ago is down to $350-400, and I get to fly UA instead of WN!
Old Feb 28, 2016, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rishib
Was just on MUC-IAH in Jan. It was pretty full, definitely lots of connecting traffic. (we connected from BOM) Would be surprised that gets cut.
MUC is hit or miss. I have seen 1/3 full Y (C was full) ... now if c loads are going down ... that route may not survive.

It's also a fairly new route and with LH continuing to use MUC for Asia travel it is a good feeder flight for UA.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 7:44 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cfischer
MUC is hit or miss. I have seen 1/3 full Y (C was full) ... now if c loads are going down ... that route may not survive.

It's also a fairly new route and with LH continuing to use MUC for Asia travel it is a good feeder flight for UA.
I wish UA would allow in typical routing rules going US-Europe-Asia more often.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
My sister lives in HOU and she's affected by this O&G influx right now. She says it's a miserable industry to work in so good riddance. The layoffs and their effect on the economy is very real though.

It's been speculated that it's more cost effective to bump up DEN and minimize growth at IAH. You'll probably see frequency dips from IAH and maybe some international cuts but I do believe it's going to be minimal.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Except IAH is the only fully operational flight through winter (all relative). DEN, ORD, EWR and IAD are all prone to massive snow storms as we have seen this winter already. One snow storm and IAD and EWR are both shut down for days. SFO is plagued by fog a good part of the year so it's not ideal either.

IAH, of course, can fail in summer with the flooding and thunderstorms they get but these days are more rare than snow in the other hubs or fog in SFO.

Personally I would be scaling down IAD as UA already has an east coast hub and IAD is an old, decrepit airport.

We all have our opinions and thoughts on which hubs to keep, which to scale up and which to scale down. That's why FT is a great forum.

-RM
Old Feb 28, 2016, 8:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
IAH, of course, can fail in summer with the flooding and thunderstorms they get but these days are more rare than snow in the other hubs or fog in SFO.

Personally I would be scaling down IAD as UA already has an east coast hub and IAD is an old, decrepit airport.

We all have our opinions and thoughts on which hubs to keep, which to scale up and which to scale down. That's why FT is a great forum.

-RM
Most of UA's hubs are bad for weather related delays. ORD/EWR/SFO especially. IAH's flat growth is also affected since it's too far south for east/west connections and it's compounded by the local economy.

IAD should be expanded - EWR is the real problem in the network on many levels.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Houston Rio flight

777 going to 787.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by iquitos
777 going to 787.
For which route?
Old Feb 28, 2016, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
For which route?
Per the post title, IAH-GIG (post titles don't show on mobile, right?)
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
For which route?
http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...-to-six-routes Houston - Rio
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by iquitos
Old news, the route has been switched back to 777 starting in March.
I think the cuts have already been made, UA will keep IAH capacity relatively flat, except IAH-HAV during this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.