Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 21, 22, 1:42 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) (Archive)
Print Wikipost

Old May 12, 22, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX View Post
You're right RE: service versus ESA

As for my flight, I didn't go into the lavatory to inspect after the dog came out, but hope she used a pad. I din't see her carrying one, though...
Maybe the passenger needed emotional support to be relaxed enough to use the bathroom.
Old May 12, 22, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
Maybe the passenger needed emotional support to be relaxed enough to use the bathroom.
If she was alone on the flight probably didn't feel comfortable leaving the dog at her seat(risking it waiting outside the door in the aisle). Probably didn't let the dog relieve itself on the floor.
Old May 12, 22, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National EE; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
You're right RE: service versus ESA

As for my flight, I didn't go into the lavatory to inspect after the dog came out, but hope she used a pad. I din't see her carrying one, though...
Lot of assumptions going on here. Was the pet was taken to the lav to do ITS business, or did the pax take it with them while they did THEIR business?
Old May 12, 22, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart View Post
Lot of assumptions going on here. Was the pet was taken to the lav to do ITS business, or did the pax take it with them while they did THEIR business?
She was talking to the dog like a baby telling him it was “potty” time.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 12, 22 at 6:27 pm Reason: remove quote of deleted post and response
Old May 12, 22, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
It could be worse - some parents will do their infant diaper change on the tray table in front of other customers, at least doggie and mother showed a little discretion.
Old May 13, 22, 6:36 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National EE; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Okay, fair enough.
Old May 16, 22, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA GS MM, DL Plat, Mariott LT Plat/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, National Executive
I flew ORD-RDU today and boy was the guy in 8C something. He felt that the F cabin was his to stomp around and ask for things. In a flight under 2 hours he went to the lav 6 times. He boarded and announced that he flies all the time and United didn’t upgrade him this time. He then asked the purser for a glass of champagne as a PDB. She gave it to him. He came back several other times and asked for wine. She served him full cups of red wine, which he felt the need to consume in the galley while pathetically trying to flirt with the purser who was 30 years his junior. I was in 1B. 1E and I couldn’t believe this guy and the fact that the FA allowed him to hang out and block the lav while chugging his free wine. Classic DYKWIA. The purser needs to be trained to not allow this behavior as well.
Old May 17, 22, 6:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL View Post
I flew ORD-RDU today and boy was the guy in 8C something. He felt that the F cabin was his to stomp around and ask for things. In a flight under 2 hours he went to the lav 6 times. He boarded and announced that he flies all the time and United didn’t upgrade him this time. He then asked the purser for a glass of champagne as a PDB. She gave it to him. He came back several other times and asked for wine. She served him full cups of red wine, which he felt the need to consume in the galley while pathetically trying to flirt with the purser who was 30 years his junior. I was in 1B. 1E and I couldn’t believe this guy and the fact that the FA allowed him to hang out and block the lav while chugging his free wine. Classic DYKWIA. The purser needs to be trained to not allow this behavior as well.
Coach passengers coming up into the F cabin has been an issue since COVID started. Needs to be nipped immediately. It's ridiculous. Whenever I'm in coach you bet your bottom I'm walking all the way back to the back if there isn't a mid-plane lav. Part of the broader soft product issue IMO. I wonder if there has been a new policy instructing FA's not to correct this behavior given conflict incidents with passengers on the rise.

Edit - Sorry for the asterisks WineCountryUA I wouldn't use profanity I just figured asterisking "butt" was not overstepping the rules. Noted for the future

Last edited by threecap; May 17, 22 at 3:15 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old May 17, 22, 6:37 am

Sounds like a person with some attention disorder. I would rather be sympathetic rather than vengeful.
Old May 17, 22, 9:16 am

Programs: UA GS MM, DL Plat, Mariott LT Plat/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, National Executive
Originally Posted by smartytravel View Post
Sounds like a person with some attention disorder. I would rather be sympathetic rather than vengeful.
I don't see how making the FA feel pressured into giving him free alcohol is a disorder other than being self entitled. He clearly was by his conversation and repeatedly saying how he flies United all the time. He didn't mention his status and he boarded halfway through, but in his mind the plane was his personal playground.
Old May 17, 22, 11:04 am

I don't see how making the FA feel pressured into giving him free alcohol is a disorder other than being self entitled. He clearly was by his conversation and repeatedly saying how he flies United all the time. He didn't mention his status and he boarded halfway through, but in his mind the plane was his personal playground.
Whatever it was, it seems miserable for everyone else, and that behaviour should not have been tolerated, or maybe appeased is the right word.
kirkwoodj and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old May 17, 22, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO Platinum 1K, United 1K, SPG LT Platinum, National Executive Elite, Platinum TSA Hater
Originally Posted by threecap View Post
Coach passengers coming up into the F cabin has been an issue since COVID started. Needs to be nipped immediately. It's ridiculous. Whenever I'm in coach you bet I'm walking all the way back to the back if there isn't a mid-plane lav. Part of the broader soft product issue IMO. I wonder if there has been a new policy instructing FA's not to correct this behavior given conflict incidents with passengers on the rise.
Indeed - there should be a rope barrier secured from the inside of the F divider where it can't be reached by coach passengers to block their access. Announcements never worked, and FAs are mostly derelict in their responsibility to stop people from entering the F cabin, especially during meal service. The only exception should be a disabled/wheelchair customer who needs the restroom and can't make it to the back.
ContinentalFan likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 17, 22 at 2:46 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old May 17, 22, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Indeed - there should be a rope barrier secured from the inside of the F divider where it can't be reached by coach passengers to block their access. Announcements never worked, and FAs are mostly derelict in their responsibility to stop people from entering the F cabin, especially during meal service. The only exception should be a disabled/wheelchair customer who needs the restroom and can't make it to the back.
They used to do this (more or less -- the rope has to be reachable from economy, as FAs need to go back and forth sometimes) on VX. It was very effective. They were the only domestic non-lie-flat first class product I've ever felt was worth paying for (and I did pay for it, every time).
bocastephen likes this.
Old May 17, 22, 5:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec, UA Gold
Maybe this one's an INWYTIA (I'm not who you think i am?) but it still makes me smile.
I have a very trusty LuggageWorks Stealth rollaboard with years of mileage on it (and many still remaining - it's a tank!)
Boarded late (tight connection), settled into my seat, and a FA appeared with the coveted giant bottle of Dasani and handed it to me. I looked a bit perplexed as I said thanks, and he replied, "In case you get thirsty, Captain. Would you like a crew meal?" My bag sent an unintentional signal!
I declined the crew meal and offered to return the (unopened!) giant water bottle, I'm not crew, I just love that bag. He said keep the water regardless. Most hydrated flight ever!
Old May 18, 22, 5:59 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sean5280 View Post
Maybe this one's an INWYTIA (I'm not who you think i am?) but it still makes me smile.
Wow, to get offered a crew meal you must have made quite the impression

I love the INWYTIA moments -- maybe subconsciously because it means we "belong". Some of the more memorable over the past year...
  • GA: "Heeeeey! Where are you based these days!? It's been a long time since I've seen you!"
  • UAEX FA: "Next time you talk to IT can you mention how annoying (issue) with (thing) is?"
  • Non-rev captain: "Where are they putting you up tonight?" (and after I answered) "What did you do do get put there?"
  • GA: "Are you my one standby today?" ("Nope, positive space....revenue") "Ah, " (gave me details on possibly holding for inbound connections)
Feels a bit Catch-Me-If-You-Can at times, just no uniforms...

Search this Thread