Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 21, 22, 1:42 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) (Archive)
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 6, 21, 10:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 757FO View Post
As a pilot, I'm typically on-board doing pilot stuff before boarding begins. That being said, I did have a moment of disbelief in the jetway with a GS member a few years back at EWR. The crew and I had finished what was necessary prior to boarding, and I offered to run out and grab Starbucks for my FO and a few FA's. By the time I got back to the gate, pre-boarding was underway. It just so happened this particular flight was carrying a few WWII vets over to the UK for a D-Day reunion. Several were in wheel chairs, and slowly making their way on-board, when for whatever reason, the gate agent allowed the few GS passengers we had head down to board. Everyone was very respectful, and patiently waited, with the exception of one very important woman, who literally yelled at one of the wheel chair passengers and his companion to stop, and get out of her way so she could board. When this didn't happen quickly enough, she literally grabbed the handle on the chair and said let me pass.

I literally stood there shocked for a moment at this woman's lack of respect and behavior, before speaking up and explaining her behavior wasn't acceptable. She gave me a look that could kill, loudly shared she was Global Services, and needed to be on-board first to finish an important work call. I quietly explained that her behavior wasn't acceptable, and she proceeded to scream and curse at me that she was too busy to speak to a "f***ing pilot" and she would call her good friend Oscar immediately and have me reprimanded. Needless to say, I told her she wouldn't be flying that night, as her behavior was unacceptable and a risk the crew and other passengers. Interestingly enough, she did know Oscar, and I got a note asking what happened. I explained my side, and never heard another thing about it after.
good for you.
Old Nov 6, 21, 10:40 am

As a pilot, I'm typically on-board doing pilot stuff before boarding begins. That being said, I did have a moment of disbelief in the jetway with a GS member a few years back at EWR. The crew and I had finished what was necessary prior to boarding, and I offered to run out and grab Starbucks for my FO and a few FA's. By the time I got back to the gate, pre-boarding was underway. It just so happened this particular flight was carrying a few WWII vets over to the UK for a D-Day reunion. Several were in wheel chairs, and slowly making their way on-board, when for whatever reason, the gate agent allowed the few GS passengers we had head down to board. Everyone was very respectful, and patiently waited, with the exception of one very important woman, who literally yelled at one of the wheel chair passengers and his companion to stop, and get out of her way so she could board. When this didn't happen quickly enough, she literally grabbed the handle on the chair and said let me pass.

I literally stood there shocked for a moment at this woman's lack of respect and behavior, before speaking up and explaining her behavior wasn't acceptable. She gave me a look that could kill, loudly shared she was Global Services, and needed to be on-board first to finish an important work call. I quietly explained that her behavior wasn't acceptable, and she proceeded to scream and curse at me that she was too busy to speak to a "f***ing pilot" and she would call her good friend Oscar immediately and have me reprimanded. Needless to say, I told her she wouldn't be flying that night, as her behavior was unacceptable and a risk the crew and other passengers. Interestingly enough, she did know Oscar, and I got a note asking what happened. I explained my side, and never heard another thing about it after.
Here's another way to view it.

Rather than make a gigantic fuss about some tiny x y or z out of place later, while you're taxiing or perhaps in flight, she got it all out there before any passengers boarded, thus saving you a return to gate or even a diversion.

kochleffel, wrp96, findark and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 6, 21, 10:56 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM

Thank you 757FO

If the call was that important she could have stayed in the terminal.

As a 1K I board behind families with children under 2. Those poor parents get so flustered with the descending hoards I ask if they need assistance as Invariably trying to hold children, dismantle strollers and grab items. I will physically stop and move my bag away from me to stop people trying to get past me. Calm parents result in clam babies and I hate crying babies on a flight with a passion. These families are not going to take all the overhead space and that is the only reason I can think my fellow 1Ks are in such a rush to get on board. The plane is not leaving if there are folks on the jetway.
SPN Lifer, DJ_Iceman, jtet and 5 others like this.
Old Nov 6, 21, 11:22 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

Bolding mine: Well done and thank you!
SPN Lifer, wrp96, benfro6 and 4 others like this.
Old Nov 6, 21, 1:27 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by fumje View Post
Here's another way to view it.

Rather than make a gigantic fuss about some tiny x y or z out of place later, while you're taxiing or perhaps in flight, she got it all out there before any passengers boarded, thus saving you a return to gate or even a diversion.

Yeah, no. There was no way I was going to let her fly that night!
Old Nov 6, 21, 1:32 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Yeah, no. There was no way I was going to let her fly that night!
How did she react to your 86ing her from your flight? Did she put up a fight? Was it ugly? We gots to know! (And BTW, great job!)
wrp96 and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Nov 6, 21, 1:49 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Lol, she threw an absolute fit. Called me every name in the book, including referring to me as an "uneducated swine." Honestly, when she called me that, I started to laugh, because it was kinda funny to hear!

I later found out she worked for a very large cosmetics company in NYC, and was fired about 2 years after this incident.
Old Nov 6, 21, 1:54 pm

Lol, she threw an absolute fit. Called me every name in the book, including referring to me as an "uneducated swine." Honestly, when she called me that, I started to laugh, because it was kinda funny to hear!

I later found out she worked for a very large cosmetics company in NYC, and was fired about 2 years after this incident.
My first thought was karma.

My second thought is if she really believed you were an uneducated swine why on earth would she get on a plane being flown by one?

I am sorry for you and your fellow team members for some of the despicable behavior some members of the public display. Ultimately you and your team are trying to get us safely to our destination. Everything else is not important in the grand scheme of things.

Again, thank you.
Old Nov 6, 21, 2:00 pm

So it seems you can't put "lipstick" on a "pig" ('s flight)!

jtet, Aussienarelle, LIH and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 6, 21, 4:59 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie

I’ll just leave this right here…

wrp96 and findark like this.
Old Nov 6, 21, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by DENflyer3 View Post
Boarding PHX / DEN this morning, for some reason these DYKWIA's seek me out, or possibly I just like to troll people at airports. Anyways pre-boarding and some guy starts pushing up into the line behind me, not many pre-boarders and its was early. I figured it was going to be a GS behaving badly moment, but no, I hear him say, with an aura of Millennial entitlement, and the naivete of a young flier who just made status for the first time, "Excuse me, I'm Gold:". GA just didn't have the energy and lets him through. He is right behind me as I come to a stop on the jetbridge so as to wait for the wheelchair person to come out. He huffs at my clear inexperience to not know the boarding process procedures and starts to walks defiantly past me. I note that "we are waiting for..." and he interrupts with, "I'm gold, no reason to wait buddy." He made a point to keep the eye contact with me to truly show his status supremacy and ensure that I recognize my weaknesses. Then walks right into the corner of the fuselage door and cuts his forehead open.

God of love Karma!
What's the big deal? There's always a doctor on standby for Gold passengers.
Old Nov 6, 21, 5:50 pm

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: Delta PM, AA PLT, UA Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by goalie View Post
I’ll just leave this right here…

But the username is 757FO so the #2 or the Dwight Schrute on the aircraft. (J/K)
In all seriousness a great story and glad 757FO denied the passenger from flying that day. Also glad that even after being contacted by UA Executive leadership that they didn’t side with the passenger but instead with the employee in this case.
Old Nov 6, 21, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post
But the username is 757FO so the #2 or the Dwight Schrute on the aircraft. (J/K)
In all seriousness a great story and glad 757FO denied the passenger from flying that day. Also glad that even after being contacted by UA Executive leadership that they didn’t side with the passenger but instead with the employee in this case.
On more than one occasion when a pax has behaved badly and threatens to report the UA employee, I wait until the badly behaving pax is out of earshot and ask the UA employee to note my name/seat number as I will very willingly act as a witness for them. More often than not I will proactively contact 1K voice to share the UA employee did nothing wrong.

We all have bad days (both pax and UA folks) but threatening to tell the "manager" is not the way to solve the issue most of the time. I am always impressed with the calm manner of most UA folks i encounter.
SPN Lifer, DJ_Iceman and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 6, 21, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle View Post
On more than one occasion when a pax has behaved badly and threatens to report the UA employee, I wait until the badly behaving pax is out of earshot and ask the UA employee to note my name/seat number as I will very willingly act as a witness for them. More often than not I will proactively contact 1K voice to share the UA employee did nothing wrong.

We all have bad days (both pax and UA folks) but threatening to tell the "manager" is not the way to solve the issue most of the time. I am always impressed with the calm manner of most UA folks i encounter.
I thought I was the only one who did this! It's happened at Disney parks too, when I witness a tantrum including threats against the poor front-line employee. I'm always happy to be the disinterested third party who (hopefully) provides facts to help whatever department ultimately has to deal with all this crap.
SPN Lifer and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Nov 6, 21, 8:06 pm

Programs: Days of Our Lives, General Hospital
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
What's the big deal? There's always a doctor on standby for Gold passengers.
I'm not a doctor and I don't even play one on TV, but I always have SuperGlue!
estnet likes this.

Search this Thread