Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) (Archive)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2023, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nomad420
Sadly I have seen this scenario played out many times. In fact so many times that this is one reason I tend not bring carry on with me and check everything. People get reall ugly sometimes for even mildly encroaching on "their" overhead space. Weird what can I say.
The flip side of this is that the concern about damage to soft side items in overhead is often legit. Some pax will just jam their roller in on top of other bags with zero consideration for others' belongings. It's become a total no-win on both sides (which is exactly your point, I think).
SPN Lifer, VRFast and frutabell like this.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 10:10 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I don’t mind little doggies on board, but the rules of the road are “pooch poops you clean”. Aside from being a disgusting request of a stranger, the crew member is still required to serve food and beverages to the rest of the cabin and no amount of hand washing is enough to quell the ick factor there.
Ummm, sorry, is it really possible to fully clean the floor? This is just disgusting. Real service animals don't behave this way. Pets don't belong on planes, certainly not outside of a carrier, and certainly not poorly trained pets. OK, another thread, I know, but to me ultimate DYKWIA behavior is to impose an animal on others in a small tin can, in close quarters -- especially one that isn't trained properly.
Old Apr 30, 2023, 9:13 pm

they dont want to pay the service charge so every muteroo is now an emotional support aminal…
Old Apr 30, 2023, 9:19 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by featheroleather
they dont want to pay the service charge so every muteroo is now an emotional support aminal…
ESA on UA? thought that was long gone
United does not transport emotional support animals
UA removing Emotional Support Animals option 28 Feb 2021 per new DOT rules Jan 2020
Old May 1, 2023, 11:34 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
It is long gone. Even with "service animals" you have to jump through quite a few hoops.
SPN Lifer and VRFast like this.
Old May 10, 2023, 9:46 am

Not sure if this counts, but his attitude made it feel right to post here. Me in 21C. Him in 21D. A few times during the flights his phone has played a little music for a second at a time, not super loud, annoying but whatever. Midflight he starts playing music. I look at him and he says "are you looking at me? are you talking to me?".

Me: "Yeah, can you use a headset?"
"I don't have a headset, so no."

Me: "This is a shared space."
"I fly a lot, this is ok"

Me: "Well, it is a small shared space."
"This is my phone, I paid for it. I can use it how I want"

Me: Shake head, go back to laptop work.
"Don't tell me how to fly."

Sigh. I really wish FAs would consistently announce headset mandate. I notice further back multiple kids who have been quite lovely on the flight all have headsets on for their games. My wife's tactic when someone is being a real jerk is to play music that will annoy the offending party which usually works within seconds as they suddenly understand how one person's tastes could be really annoying to someone else.

I do notice that he has turned it down and after like 15 minutes has not put the extra device away (he has two phones), so maybe my interaction worked but he just wanted to save face. Let's see if it lasts for the final two hours.
Old May 10, 2023, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by abaheti
Not sure if this counts, but his attitude made it feel right to post here. Me in 21C. Him in 21D. A few times during the flights his phone has played a little music for a second at a time, not super loud, annoying but whatever. Midflight he starts playing music. I look at him and he says "are you looking at me? are you talking to me?".

Me: "Yeah, can you use a headset?"
"I don't have a headset, so no."

Me: "This is a shared space."
"I fly a lot, this is ok"

Me: "Well, it is a small shared space."
"This is my phone, I paid for it. I can use it how I want"

Me: Shake head, go back to laptop work.
"Don't tell me how to fly."

Sigh. I really wish FAs would consistently announce headset mandate. I notice further back multiple kids who have been quite lovely on the flight all have headsets on for their games. My wife's tactic when someone is being a real jerk is to play music that will annoy the offending party which usually works within seconds as they suddenly understand how one person's tastes could be really annoying to someone else.

I do notice that he has turned it down and after like 15 minutes has not put the extra device away (he has two phones), so maybe my interaction worked but he just wanted to save face. Let's see if it lasts for the final two hours.
Ask him to get a set of those free ones from the FA.

I usually have a set they'd hand out on flights in my bag, and I just give them away whenever appropriate.
​​​​
Good for you for confronting him. I would also notify the FA.
janehoya and quoo like this.
Old May 10, 2023, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Ask him to get a set of those free ones from the FA.

I usually have a set they'd hand out on flights in my bag, and I just give them away whenever appropriate.
​​​​
Good for you for confronting him. I would also notify the FA.
I actually thought about getting the FA, but I don't feel like escalating at 30k feet and he's quieted down -- if he had increased the volume or continued I would get up and find an FA. I thought about getting him a UA headset or handing him one (I keep wrapped, new spares in my bag just for this situation.... "oh no! You forgot your headset? No worries, I just happen to have a pair here that you can have"). My read of the situation is that getting the FA involved would lead to a situation and I'm not up for it today. His attitude is a tad belligerent..
ContinentalFan and Repooc17 like this.
Old May 10, 2023, 10:07 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I look at him and he says "are you looking at me? are you talking to me?".
Oooo! Bobby De Niro!!
LAXOGG, abaheti, Kacee and 2 others like this.
Old May 10, 2023, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Oooo! Bobby De Niro!!
If De Niro inexplicably likes to fly with his left shoe on and his right shoe off for half the flight and both shoes off for the other half....You are one odd dude, Mr Flies A Lot.

OK, now I am actually ticked off. I see fancy Bose-like headset in his bag. The twit just likes to mark his territory with annoying music it seems. I should have give him some Bollywood or opera.
MatthewLAX, LAXOGG and hhdl like this.
Old May 10, 2023, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I would nt have put up with music playing without headphones like that. I'd have tried another polite ask and then if that didn't work I'd suggest that I could push the FA call button, reach for it, and if necessary push it. 95% of the time I'd bet that by the time I reached for the call button the problem would have gone away. I do realize it's harder with the person in the adjacent seat because whatever happens you have to deal with them for the rest of the flight. But what's been described is simply unacceptable.
Old May 10, 2023, 10:34 am

If De Niro inexplicably likes to fly with his left shoe on and his right shoe off for half the flight and both shoes off for the other half....You are one odd dude, Mr Flies A Lot.

OK, now I am actually ticked off. I see fancy Bose-like headset in his bag. The twit just likes to mark his territory with annoying music it seems. I should have give him some Bollywood or opera.
Opera is not annoying. Huh? It’s the other music that’s the problem.
ContinentalFan and abaheti like this.
Old May 10, 2023, 10:37 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I would nt have put up with music playing without headphones like that. I'd have tried another polite ask and then if that didn't work I'd suggest that I could push the FA call button, reach for it, and if necessary push it. 95% of the time I'd bet that by the time I reached for the call button the problem would have gone away. I do realize it's harder with the person in the adjacent seat because whatever happens you have to deal with them for the rest of the flight. But what's been described is simply unacceptable.
At least he was across the aisle
Xyzzy, AeRoSpaceman and abaheti like this.
Old May 10, 2023, 10:39 am

I totally hear you, and have in the past been more forceful, but not today. I could list a bunch of reasons, but, just not today in this specific circumstance was it worth the trouble to me -- especially as he quieted down.

Originally Posted by zitsky
Opera is not annoying. Huh? It’s the other music that’s the problem.
Admitting to making some big assumptions based on age and what he was listening to about what might annoy him. :-)

Lo and behold, as we enter the final 45 minutes of flight has has put on the headphones. Maybe he's been reading this FT thread on his other phone? Landing shortly, thanks for letting me vent from here in the tin can. (I gave my wife my upgraded seat in F and she's messaged me that the guy next to her was on the phone yelling at his employees and giving orders loudly on his cell and demanding mimosas from the FA when he boarded. Then he complained about not getting his selection and then the quantity of omelette (which my wife confirmed was very small, she thinks they cut it up). He invoked I fly every week so I know what the meal should be and I'm a MM. So we both got some oddness today and she def qualifies for DYKWIA.... Otherwise good flight and crew and pax)
jsloan, Xyzzy, MatthewLAX and 4 others like this.

Last edited by abaheti; May 10, 2023 at 12:39 pm
Old May 10, 2023, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Yep.

As soon as I heard "This is my phone, I paid for it. I can use it how I want" my index finger would shoot right up to that call button in 1.0 nanoseconds.

Tool.
Xyzzy, abaheti and benewr like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.