Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) [2016 onward]

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) [2016 onward]

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 6, 19, 6:17 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: lindaiah
Wiki Link
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 4, 18, 1:45 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by freshairborne View Post
Hereís one about a DYKWIA who is also a ICTAPFAFASIJBAJTE (I canít tell a pilot from a flight attendant so Iíll just be a jerk to everyone). The pure ignoramusity (new word) of this kind of stuff underwhelms me. This, from my First Officer and close friend on a recent flight she was flying:

ďIn uniform (because pilots wear pilot uniforms) I walk on to the plane and in to the flight deck while the passengers are boarding. My captain is doing the walk around. During my preflight, a first class passenger walked up to the cockpit door:

Pax: Excuse me
Me: Yes sir, how may I help you?
Pax: What are you doing?
Me: I am doing the preflight cockpit setup. Do you need help with something?
Pax: Yes! I need my beverage but you are dilly dallying up here and not doing your job! I am tired of lazy flight attendants!
Me: Well, I am your pilot, sir. I will be flying you to KXXX today. Can you wait a minute for that drink?

He spins around and walks out.

What century are we in, again?

FAB
If I were her and wanted to be spiteful, I would have off-loaded this passenger as a security threat for entering the cockpit and make him either have to speak to local authorities, or take a later flight.

Old Oct 5, 18, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; HH Diam,Hz PC,
Hereís one about a DYKWIA who is also a ICTAPFAFASIJBAJTE (I canít tell a pilot from a flight attendant so Iíll just be a jerk to everyone). The pure ignoramusity (new word) of this kind of stuff underwhelms me. This, from my First Officer and close friend on a recent flight she was flying:

ďIn uniform (because pilots wear pilot uniforms) I walk on to the plane and in to the flight deck while the passengers are boarding. My captain is doing the walk around. During my preflight, a first class passenger walked up to the cockpit door:

Pax: Yes! I need my beverage but you are dilly dallying up here and not doing your job! I am tired of lazy flight attendants!
Me: Well, I am your pilot, sir. I will be flying you to KXXX today. Can you wait a minute for that drink?

FAB
Un-freaking-believable
Old Oct 5, 18, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Nothing beats FAB posts!

Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman View Post
Darth Vader will make you quickly realize the severity of the situation...

FAB

Old Oct 5, 18, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow View Post
I had to read that three times to figure it out. The word "she" finally made your point clear. Not a word I normally expect to change the entire point of the story.
I guess I didnít press that point, but yes, she was mistaken for a FA. No excuse for that anyway. Everyone on my flight deserves respect.
She was pretty put off by that, but I told her the story of once, while standing by the rear door of a hotel shuttle (in my easily mistaken for a hotel bellhop or similar uniform) a lady walked up to me, dropped her bag at my feet, and said, ďairport ď. I said yes, maíam.
Thatís not quite m the same because I wasnít as stereotyped as she was, but same idea.

FAB
Old Oct 5, 18, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by tryathlete View Post

Thank you! Iíve been remiss, I know. When the thread about asking pilots stuff was active, I had more to contribute.

My my wife is pressing me to write some sort of memoir when I retire in 1 year, 1 month, and 12 days (and with the aforementioned first officer in my right seat). I have been collecting photos of the quirky stuff that we see day to day, as well as writing down stuff as I remember it. Maybe a blog or something is in the future. Iím not that tech-savvy though; the Airbus is a technological retro-jet these days and about as complicated as I can (or want to) deal with :O!

FAB
Old Oct 18, 18, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Classic case today. Jerk in the first row of E+ boards at the last minute. Packed plane all bins filled. He opens every one and tries to cram in his clearly oversized bag, likely crushing many people’s stuff. Finally to our amazement he finally finds a spot about 7 rows back. Then he tries to sneak his second carryon behind his feet, but the FA was having none of that. Then he slammed down his window shade, breaking it. Literally thrust his seat back into my knees. Boom. The list goes on and on.

The second we get to the gate gate he pops up and asks people to pass him up his bag, saying “just lift it up to your shoulders and pass it from person to person”!! No one was having any of that; and the last I saw of him he was still waiting for the tide of glowering people to pass by.
Old Dec 10, 18, 12:18 pm

Programs: UA GS MM, DL Plat, Mariott LT Plat/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Sitting in the first row and watching Group 1 file by on a 319. A lady stops and says to the flight attendants "I'm Gold/Group 1. Can you hang this up?" They refuse and tell her they need the space for F. She huffs back to row 7. Puts her coat in the overhead and then comes back demanding water and some napkins. She informed them again that she was "Gold/Group 1." LOL.
mikeyf, mdtakamine and manstein58 like this.
Old Dec 14, 18, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA 2P, HH Gold, AA Gold
Angry 1K

I was flying exSFO on a full 737 and sitting in 1B. One of the last to board was a woman who loudly was complaining to the flight attendants that she was 1K and paid $3000 for the ticket and had to sit in economy. She repeated this several times and how she couldnít believe she had to sit in the back. It was all I could do to refrain from telling her I was a lowly 2P flying on a K-fare and had paid around $200 TOD at check in to fly in F She was really perturbed when she had to gate check her bag b/c all the bins were full.
mdtakamine likes this.
Old Dec 14, 18, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 4MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Nomination for DYKWIA of the Year

I boarded a 737 at EWR and sat down in my assigned 1A. Behind me, in 2A, was a gentleman yelling into his cellphone -- certainly loud enough I could not ignore him. I had apparently wandered into his conversation mid-stream, when he was demanding to speak with a supervisor. When connected, he made the following points (in a loud, angry voice):
  • I've been a 1K for three years! I'm one of UA's very best customers!
  • I have TWO HUNDRED THOUSAND MILES in my account!
  • I fly BILLIONS of flights a week (yes, he really said that).
He had two complaints:

1. He didn't get PRE-CHECK on this flight, and wasted 45 minutes of his life waiting in the standard security line. He was *certain* that this was caused by the UA APP updating earlier in the day, and dropping his KTN from his reservation. While I couldn't hear the other end of the conversation, I assume the agent explained that PRE-CHECK is not guaranteed -- that it can randomly be withheld on any flight by TSA, and there's nothing UA can do about that. Yep, in my 250K BIS this year, I've had it happen three times, including one SSSS, despite having had Global Entry for eight years.

2. He was furious that he was upgraded earlier in the day and his wife wasn't. He said that as a 1K, his wife is upgraded with him *every* time except today. He said when he was upgraded, there were three other seats empty* and his wife was entitled to one of them. I assume at that point the agent explained the concept of split PNRs, but he *demanded* compensation of a $100 ETC. I don't know if he got it, because he replied, "I'll be calling Oscar tomorrow and I want your name and ID number." (Why he should get compensation because his wife didn't get a companion CPU is another question...)

*I know where those three seats went -- I along with two other full biz fare GS pax from an international flight that came in to EWR early did an SDC from our original later connection flight into them. And then there were none. Sorry!

Sir, if you're reading this, I understand your frustration. But you were unbelievably rude to the UA phone agent, and simply wrong on both counts. When you travel a lot, things happen.
Old Dec 14, 18, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.8MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Marriott Plat / SPG Plat
Originally Posted by n198ua View Post
I was flying exSFO on a full 737 and sitting in 1B. One of the last to board was a woman who loudly was complaining to the flight attendants that she was 1K and paid $3000 for the ticket and had to sit in economy. She repeated this several times and how she couldnít believe she had to sit in the back. It was all I could do to refrain from telling her I was a lowly 2P flying on a K-fare and had paid around $200 TOD at check in to fly in F She was really perturbed when she had to gate check her bag b/c all the bins were full.
To be slightly fair to s/he, Iíve been pretty miffed booking a super last minute (same day departure) transcon fare for $2,200 with no remaining F for sale, and getting a middle seat in regular Y (not even E+) ... only to learn that the intern on my team on same flight paid $149 for a TOD at T-24 to upgrade himself. Agreed, though, the difference is I donít complain to everyone about it
jsloan, wrp96, mdtakamine and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 14, 18, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by greenpau View Post

To be slightly fair to s/he, Iíve been pretty miffed booking a super last minute (same day departure) transcon fare for $2,200 with no remaining F for sale, and getting a middle seat in regular Y (not even E+) ... only to learn that the intern on my team on same flight paid $149 for a TOD at T-24 to upgrade himself. Agreed, though, the difference is I donít complain to everyone about it
And I agree with you, if I had been in her shoes I'd of been upset too. It was the way she was going about it that was super-DYKWIA.
Old Dec 14, 18, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.8MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Marriott Plat / SPG Plat
Originally Posted by n198ua View Post
And I agree with you, if I had been in her shoes I'd of been upset too. It was the way she was going about it that was super-DYKWIA.
THAT I can imagine ... itís probably the same SFO 1K lady that rolled her overstuffed carryon over the ankle of a disabled 90 year old woman on the jetway as she pushed passed her, during the call for GS preboarding. I did actually speak to her about it after the flight was done - I waited at the end of the jetway and asked her to show more courtesy and respect next time. She looked at me speechless!!
Old Dec 14, 18, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by greenpau View Post

THAT I can imagine ... itís probably the same SFO 1K lady that rolled her overstuffed carryon over the ankle of a disabled 90 year old woman on the jetway as she pushed passed her, during the call for GS preboarding. I did actually speak to her about it after the flight was done - I waited at the end of the jetway and asked her to show more courtesy and respect next time. She looked at me speechless!!
What is wrong with people ?! I have no words.....
JVPhoto and Aussienarelle like this.
Old Dec 15, 18, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Last 1/4 of boarding.
Iím in row 3 and hear the guy walk on and say to the FA in the galley.
ďThey said at the counter that F is full! There are empty seats.Ē
(Not really looking up from making the PDB tray) ďThe plane hasnít finished boarding sir.Ē

Not the most egregious case but apparently we should know that once he graces the plane with his presence that they should close the door behind him.
jsloan, mdtakamine and N104UA like this.
Old Dec 15, 18, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by wxguy View Post
*I know where those three seats went -- I along with two other full biz fare GS pax from an international flight that came in to EWR early did an SDC from our original later connection flight into them. And then there were none. Sorry!
Every time I do something like this, I think about the people on the other side who are probably convinced it was either shenanigans or $39 upgrades to kettles
iluv2fly, jsloan, wxguy and 1 others like this.

Search this Thread