FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1737773-dykwia-stories-traveling-united-airlines.html)

benewr Mar 10, 2023 8:11 am

Originally Posted by AugustusM (Post 35076191)
Nah, it's sufficient enough for me when the machine spits it out with 'Global Services' printed on the bottom.

I only appreciate when it says GLOBAL SERVICES.
Global Services isn’t for me.

txaggiemiles Mar 10, 2023 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by thejaredhuang (Post 35075975)

Had a kind of DYWKIA story: A GS or 1K cleared IAH-Lax but wanted to sit with a family member in Y, he stays in Y and when the person who boarded with group 4 comes he asks him to swap the GS/1K F seat for group 4's Y seat.

About 5 min later a FA tells the GA and another few FAs about the swap and they proceed to put group 4 back in his Y seat.

so where did the GS/1K end up?

enviroian Mar 12, 2023 11:13 am

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles (Post 35077517)

On Spirit.

Aussienarelle Mar 12, 2023 3:30 pm

Had a kind of DYWKIA story: A GS or 1K cleared IAH-Lax but wanted to sit with a family member in Y, he stays in Y and when the person who boarded with group 4 comes he asks him to swap the GS/1K F seat for group 4's Y seat. After a quick explanation that his new seat would be in F Group 4 gladly accepts.
About 5 min later a FA tells the GA and another few FAs about the swap and they proceed to put group 4 back in his Y seat. They tell him the swap isn't allowed since and that there's #55 other people on the upgrade list ahead of him.

I have posted about this before. I usually give up my F seat for any military in uniform (don't want to debate in and out of uniform as my choice is in uniform). I have had other pax on the upgrade list state if I do not want the seat then they are next. This is true if it was an upgrade but if I paid for the seat I can swap.

Originally Posted by txaggiemiles (Post 35077517)

My question as well!

MatthewLAX Mar 12, 2023 6:28 pm

Had a kind of DYWKIA story: A GS or 1K cleared IAH-Lax but wanted to sit with a family member in Y, he stays in Y and when the person who boarded with group 4 comes he asks him to swap the GS/1K F seat for group 4's Y seat. After a quick explanation that his new seat would be in F Group 4 gladly accepts.
About 5 min later a FA tells the GA and another few FAs about the swap and they proceed to put group 4 back in his Y seat. They tell him the swap isn't allowed since and that there's #55 other people on the upgrade list ahead of him. He then goes on to talking to the FA and GA on and off for the next 15 minutes, he wants compensation and the GA tells him to write it in. Right as the GA is about to step off and close the door he has another 5 minute conversation asking why he can't sit up front. At this point we were already 10 minutes behind from when we should have pushed back and the boarding music has looped again. The FAs even make an announcement to take your seat. Group 4 ended up sleeping the whole flight in Y.

Typical IAH...

Kacee Mar 20, 2023 12:48 am

UA683 SFO-PHX this evening, operated by a 320, after boarding had completed, I noticed a commotion behind me in 3E. Woman was complaining about her seat, which had broken recline. If you've flown the "new" UA F seat enough times, you're well familiar with the issue - it won't hold a position, but rocks back and forth. Mildly annoying, for sure, but you'd think someone had kidnapped this woman's children. She was going on about how much money she spends with UA and how completely unacceptable this was. She insisted the crew call maintenance and fix the seat. I would have told her she was free to disembark and find another way to get to PHX (a sentiment which was clearly shared by the rest of the F cabin), but the crew actually called a maintenance team which spent about 20 minutes completely disassembling the seat pan. After they announced it fixed, she then argued with them for five more minutes about whether they had really fixed it, before finally, grudgingly taking her seat. Net result: a 28 minute delayed departure.

Naturally, upon arriving at PHX this woman then pushed her way through the aisle, cutting off all but one of the pax from row 2 in her rush for the door.

wxguy Mar 20, 2023 5:10 am

Shades of Fun

Yesterday, SFO-BOS, 757 in F. I'm in 1E. After boarding while we're waiting to depart, the pax next to me in 1F has the windows open -- it's dreary and raining out. I prefer windows open during take-off and landing, as safety guidelines say that in the event of an emergency, it's important to assess what's going on outside and have your eyes acclimated to ambient light. While UA does not currently require this (suggestion is for emergency rows only), many Asian airlines do. So I'm always happy to have them open, but I don't insist on it if I'm on the aisle and my window-mate wants them closed.

Pax in 1B across the aisle asks his seatmate in a loud, demanding voice to lower the window shades NOW, as when we get above the clouds it will be bright and he wants to sleep (it's a daytime flight, but, whatever). Pax in 1A complies. Then Mr. 1B motions violently for my seatmate in 1F to lower the shades on our side, but he doesn't see it and I pretend not to notice. Mr. 1B scowls.

That not working, Mr. 1B says to the FA, "You NEED to ask everyone to lower their shades NOW as it will get bright after take-off and i want to sleep." FA says nicely, "I'm sorry, I'm not at liberty to dictate how our passengers want their shades," and walks away. Mr. 1B scowls yet again.

We takeoff, and it gets bright. Mr. 1B continues to signal my seatmate in 1F to lower the shades, to no avail. Eventually my seatmate does so as he wants to watch a movie.

By the way, Mr. 1B never reclined his seat nor slept -- he played games on his phone the entire trip.

We land, and I stand up to get my bag from the overhead, then position facing rear as the 757 deplanes through door #2 rear of F. Mr. 1B stands and says in a loud voice, "Can I get my bag out please (motioning to me as his is over row 2), you are all in such a rush!" Geez, Mr. 1B, chill! Mr. 1A and Mr. 1F laugh out loud, and Mr. 1B scowls, again.

Kacee Mar 20, 2023 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 35101454)
UA683 SFO-PHX this evening

Originally Posted by wxguy (Post 35101771)
Yesterday, SFO-BOS

Note the common thread here.

WineCountryUA Mar 20, 2023 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 35102032)
Note the common thread here.

Non-hub destinations? :D

bocastephen Mar 20, 2023 12:45 pm

....FA says nicely, "I'm sorry, I'm not at liberty to dictate how our passengers want their shades," and walks away. ...

If only this FA worked international widebody flights :rolleyes:

Kmxu Mar 20, 2023 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 35102794)
Non-hub destinations? :D

Connection at SFO. :) :)

limey1K Mar 20, 2023 12:58 pm

MEL-LAX 3/18/23
One GS and three 1K get placed in the pre-board pen at MEL and sit quietly waiting. People line up in the BG 1, 2 etc lanes and Mr. DYKWIA rolls up with wife in tow and loudly proclaims to the checker "I'm a 1K so I need to be let through to where they are" and points at the rest of us. Gets let through and sits down, huffing and puffing about security, the line to check-in, blah blah. General blowhard type DYKWIA that I try and stay away from.

The GA announces that she's about to start pre-boarding and he leaps up, chastises his wife for not being Usain Bolt and walks to within three feet of the podium. GA gives him that "oh, you're one of them looks" and calls for Disabled and Needing extra time. He is asked to move aside for the three wheel chairs, which he barely does, and then a goup of about 25 people approach the other boarding lane. They all have the same lanyards on with ID and identical backpacks. GA scans the first person and Mr. DYKWIA flaps his arms about and says "Are you kidding me? Are you kidding me? You're going to pre-board a tour group before ME?, This is ludicrous!!". The GA stepped away from the podium and walked over to him and said in a quiet voice "Sir, this is a handicapped group and they need extra time" to which he responded in a very loud voice "Handicapped, handicapped, there's nothing wrong with them! They're all quiet capable of walking on their own. How are they handicapped'?. One of the chaperones of the group turned to him and said "This is a group of autistic and Down Syndrome athletes going to compete in your country, sir'. At this point Mrs. DYKWIA is doing her best to not look like she's with him and, when all of us wish he'd shut up, he blurts out "Well you can't tell that so its confusing".

GA pre-boards the group and Mr. DYKWIA shuffles back in front of the podium and she calls for military, then GS. I say excuse me to him and he moves a bit over and she says in a nice loud voice 'Thank you for being so patient Mr. L1K", shoots daggers at him and calls for Families with kids and there must have been about a dozen or so :D. I was on-board, in my seat, having a PDB before I heard him getting on-board complaining out-loud for anyone close enough to hear so I am guessing the GA took her sweet time to get to the 1K's. They have him to thank for that.

enviroian Mar 20, 2023 1:40 pm

Pax in 1A complies

1st and last mistake. There is no way on this green earth would I have complied if only for the rude nature of his "demand". I would 100% just rolled my eyes and shook my head at him as I looked out my window at other planes.

Unitedloyalflyer Mar 20, 2023 2:10 pm

Had this GA, or another one, do the same thing at SFO yesterday. IMO it was great, no one boarding when they shouldn't. Another side note, 70 on the upgrade list for LAX-SFO on a 738. Only about 40 people left in the gate area when they called group 2 for boarding.

About 5 min later a FA tells the GA and another few FAs about the swap and they proceed to put group 4 back in his Y seat. They tell him the swap isn't allowed since and that there's #55 other people on the upgrade list ahead of him. He then goes on to talking to the FA and GA on and off for the next 15 minutes, he wants compensation and the GA tells him to write it in. Right as the GA is about to step off and close the door he has another 5 minute conversation asking why he can't sit up front. At this point we were already 10 minutes behind from when we should have pushed back and the boarding music has looped again. The FAs even make an announcement to take your seat. Group 4 ended up sleeping the whole flight in Y.

That's an FA who needs to be waiting in the unemployment line. Someone tried to offer a better seat to someone in order to trade. FA needs to mind his/her own business there

SS255 Mar 20, 2023 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by limey1K (Post 35102914)
MEL-LAX 3/18/23
One GS and three 1K get placed in the pre-board pen at MEL and sit quietly waiting. People line up in the BG 1, 2 etc lanes and Mr. DYKWIA rolls up with wife in tow and loudly proclaims to the checker "I'm a 1K so I need to be let through to where they are" and points at the rest of us. Gets let through and sits down, huffing and puffing about security, the line to check-in, blah blah. General blowhard type DYKWIA that I try and stay away from.

The GA announces that she's about to start pre-boarding and he leaps up, chastises his wife for not being Usain Bolt and walks to within three feet of the podium. GA gives him that "oh, you're one of them looks" and calls for Disabled and Needing extra time. He is asked to move aside for the three wheel chairs, which he barely does, and then a goup of about 25 people approach the other boarding lane. They all have the same lanyards on with ID and identical backpacks. GA scans the first person and Mr. DYKWIA flaps his arms about and says "Are you kidding me? Are you kidding me? You're going to pre-board a tour group before ME?, This is ludicrous!!". The GA stepped away from the podium and walked over to him and said in a quiet voice "Sir, this is a handicapped group and they need extra time" to which he responded in a very loud voice "Handicapped, handicapped, there's nothing wrong with them! They're all quiet capable of walking on their own. How are they handicapped'?. One of the chaperones of the group turned to him and said "This is a group of autistic and Down Syndrome athletes going to compete in your country, sir'. At this point Mrs. DYKWIA is doing her best to not look like she's with him and, when all of us wish he'd shut up, he blurts out "Well you can't tell that so its confusing".

GA pre-boards the group and Mr. DYKWIA shuffles back in front of the podium and she calls for military, then GS. I say excuse me to him and he moves a bit over and she says in a nice loud voice 'Thank you for being so patient Mr. L1K", shoots daggers at him and calls for Families with kids and there must have been about a dozen or so :D. I was on-board, in my seat, having a PDB before I heard him getting on-board complaining out-loud for anyone close enough to hear so I am guessing the GA took her sweet time to get to the 1K's. They have him to thank for that.

I was waiting for the punchline "I was onboard having a PDB when I saw him march back to Y, grumbling about how useless his PP's were because he can't even clear into Premium Plus, much less Polaris."