FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1737773-dykwia-stories-traveling-united-airlines.html)

kirkwoodj Mar 16, 19 6:38 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30893560)

This is purely cost cutting by UA. It matches up with what they're doing to the onboard Polaris service.

Exactly what I was thinking. Maybe the FAs they cut from the Polaris flights could work the desk!

LIH Mar 16, 19 8:55 am

Originally Posted by SFOdelayed (Post 30889907)
...wondering why they didnít just use the GS lobby?

My experience with the SFO GS lobby is that it often has a 3-5 person line in it so isn't worth anything other than getting to hop the TSA line.

porciuscato Mar 16, 19 9:12 am

Originally Posted by laxmillenial (Post 30892958)
the latter. 2 lines; 2 signs, but the agent said due to limited staffing in the early AM, she asked if everyone could line up in one line. I do not blame the agent/UA at all. She was very nice; kept asking what people needed and if they were just checking a bag; did it for them at the machines. She bent over backwards to be nice to this gentlemen who clearly didn't deserve it.

That seems like something everybody should be writing to complain about then. Part of being GS/1K or flying "Polaris" is that you're not supposed to be stuck in a single line with everyone else.

Kacee Mar 16, 19 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by LIH (Post 30893997)
My experience with the SFO GS lobby is that it often has a 3-5 person line in it so isn't worth anything other than getting to hop the TSA line.

The Premier check-in often has a 10-20 person line.

laxmillenial Mar 16, 19 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato (Post 30894053)
That seems like something everybody should be writing to complain about then. Part of being GS/1K or flying "Polaris" is that you're not supposed to be stuck in a single line with everyone else.

I agree with you. If you donít like it, do something. Write in. Call in. Contact your corporate contacts.

But Iím sorry. Just because a line is closed, grown men have absolutely no right to be downright snobby, rude, or an ahole to other people and bicker like little five year olds. Thereís rarely any justification for such snobby attitude displayed by the GS #2 imo.

txaggiemiles Mar 16, 19 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by laxmillenial (Post 30895419)
Thereís rarely any justification for such snobby attitude displayed by the GS #2 imo.

And GS#1, for that matter

flyingvee Mar 17, 19 7:10 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 30694721)
1K Zombie Apocalypse.

Only once in a very long while does someone utter or write a brief pithy phrase that captures a concept so accurately and poetically. Well done!

The NRT preboarding area is a pretty good compromise, I think. UA is on a tightrope. They actually have ten boarding groups, but they don't want anybody to know that. If it were transparent, then they'd have constant DYKWIA from non-elite first-class pax and Silver elites, and everyone in between, who are all the way down in groups 6 or 7.

Maybe this is just temporary, and next year it'll be smoother when there are fewer 1Ks due to the higher PQD requirements and the reduction in GPU/RPU earnings.

Kacee Mar 17, 19 7:26 am

Originally Posted by flyingvee (Post 30896642)
Maybe this is just temporary, and next year it'll be smoother when there are fewer 1Ks due to the higher PQD requirements and the reduction in GPU/RPU earnings.

People have been saying that since 2013 when PQD requirement was first announced. Hasn't happened yet.

flyingvee Mar 17, 19 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30896681)
People have been saying that since 2013 when PQD requirement was first announced. Hasn't happened yet.

Ha, I guess my greenness is showing! This is only my third year as a 1K. Soon I'll learn to let go of my optimism and faith in humanity. ;)

DELee Mar 17, 19 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 30694721)
the 1K Zombie Apocalypse.

Originally Posted by flyingvee (Post 30896692)
Ha, I guess my greenness is showing! This is only my third year as a 1K. Soon I'll learn to let go of my optimism and faith in humanity. ;)

Naw - you'll just be one of those 1Ks sitting in Y who get served a snack box and then comment to the FA: "But I wanted the _new_ brains"

(this _is_ the DYKWIA thread...) ;)

David

In2ishn Mar 17, 19 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by DELee (Post 30898153)
Naw - you'll just be one of those 1Ks sitting in Y who get served a snack box and then comment to the FA: "But I wanted the _new_ brains"

(this _is_ the DYKWIA thread...) ;)

David

You win the thread!

wanderingkev Mar 17, 19 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by flyingvee (Post 30896692)

The longest journey begins with the smallest steps.....don't forget that you are posting with people who flew with the Wright brothers on this forum

AugustusM Mar 21, 19 2:49 pm

Here's a new angle for your consumption.

Waiting in SDF for my return to EWR. No boarding lanes so the usual lousing starts to occur. GA begins the pre-board process and I notice a deadheading pilot from another airline not affiliated with United start to push forward, his BP has BG1. GA calls 'those needing more time to board' and an elderly couple gets on. Military is called but there are none. Pilot begins to move towards the scanner when she calls GS so I scan and get on.

I've stowed my bag and was getting my laptop out when the deadheader, who was sitting across the aisle, says, 'Next time you should make sure the gate agent can see your name on the pass instead of just scanning it and getting on'.

I tell him I'll take it under advisement and he says, 'You better'.

I kind of chuckled at that point and got on with my emails. Long story short, I think he was not pleased that he wasn't on first since he had to stow his bag one row back and not over his seat since the cruddy EMB would only fit my bag in that row.

TexasAggie02 Mar 21, 19 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by AugustusM (Post 30914375)

I've stowed my bag and was getting my laptop out when the deadheader, who was sitting across the aisle, says, 'Next time you should make sure the gate agent can see your name on the pass instead of just scanning it and getting on'.

I tell him I'll take it under advisement and he says, 'You better'.

I kind of chuckled at that point and got on with my emails. Long story short, I think he was not pleased that he wasn't on first since he had to stow his bag one row back and not over his seat since the cruddy EMB would only fit my bag in that row.

He probably didnít think you ďlookedĒ like Global Services. Iíve had a couple of those recently.

gldwebs Mar 21, 19 3:57 pm

I would have just replied ďand how would him/her seeing my name matter since they already checked my ID at TSA and not at the gate or do you think they are psychic?Ē OR ďMaybe you havenít flown in a long time, but they havenít checked IDs and names at gates in the last several decadesĒ.