Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
A thread making {gentle} fun of the anonymous "Don't You Know Who I Am" (DYKWIAs) we run across in our travels.

Previous thread DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines) (Archive)
Print Wikipost

DYKWIA stories (Traveling on United Airlines)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2024, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Although it's not our airline I may have just come across the top Arline DYKWIA of 2023.

https://youtu.be/LFEPbySj09c?t=1215

Note: If you have two police officers sitting on you while they're trying to hog tie you after you've been denied boarding by the captain and (allegedly) assaulted 3 gate agents yelling that you're an "American Executive Platinum Person" isn't going to help ...
If anyone, like I almost did, stopped halfway through, I highly recommend watching the second half of that video. The 2 police officers are literal saints.
SPN Lifer, lincolnjkc and VRFast like this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Alcohol problems and (sometimes closet) alcoholism, which cause many DYKWIA and many more severely problematic incidents, are much more pervasive than many people understand. Best evidence is that during COVID shutdowns several 4 years ago, many states designated Liquor Stores as Essential Businesses in good part so hospitals and ERs would not be inundated with people in Alcohol Withdrawal (a true medical emergency) at the same time they were overwhelmed with COVID patients. If alcohol was “discovered” today, it would be an illegal and/or controlled dangerous substance. Just like tobacco, only it’s billion dollar industry status prevents it from being illegal. Remove alcohol, remove many DYKWIA.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by LIH
ORD Polaris for the late LHR flight this week and had to listen to two blowhards get drunk in the tables across from the bar. Going on-and-on about how the premium spirits aren't as good as they were when Polaris opened. Talking about great lounges in the Mideast that are soooooo much better than the O'Hare Polaris. Throwing around Global Services a ton in travel stories. Eventually start yelling about Rolexes, blah, blah, blah. These guys are two lmid-to-ate 40s tools, work in some aspect of the private side of aerospace/defense. Eventually we go to board and it turns out not only are they both 1Ks but one of them couldn't even support an UG (C went out with 5 empty seats)! I'm in the galley waiting for the lav after take off and the one in business comes up and I engage him. He's telling me what a long travel day they've had and I ask where he started and he says "LAX" to which I just say with as much genuine curiosity as possible "Oh, they had direct LAX > LHR flights when I lived out there?". He tells me the only way to get in C as a Global Services was this routing. The purser overhead all of this and made the point of saying a very loud "thank you for being 1K" to him as he delivered his choice of meal.

I just don't understand how people make their way through the world like this.

I would note that he tipped the Polairs bar tended a grand total of $5 for his 6+ drinks in the 90 minutes before we boarded. Just strong showing all around.
Since the one person was in the Polaris lounge without having an upgrade cleared, does that mean someone in a Star Alliance F cabin had him as a guest?
Xyzzy and pmarrsouth like this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 9:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
But as this has drifted from thread's DYKWIA topic

Have moved recent posts to Is sleeping allowed at any United {Club} lounges?
Additionally, there have been many other threads issues of UC patrons, nothing particularly new = consider continuing in those threads.
United Devalues Clubs - Makes sure they are packed beyond capacity.
Inconsiderate users of United Clubs-loud phone call/speakerphone, watching videos..
UA Club House Rules
Multiple threads on wild/running/loud children

Let's return to DYKWIA topic for this thread

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 14, 2024 at 9:59 pm
Old Mar 15, 2024, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by LIH
ORD Polaris for the late LHR flight this week and had to listen to two blowhards get drunk in the tables across from the bar. Going on-and-on about how the premium spirits aren't as good as they were when Polaris opened. Talking about great lounges in the Mideast that are soooooo much better than the O'Hare Polaris. Throwing around Global Services a ton in travel stories. Eventually start yelling about Rolexes, blah, blah, blah. These guys are two lmid-to-ate 40s tools, work in some aspect of the private side of aerospace/defense. Eventually we go to board and it turns out not only are they both 1Ks but one of them couldn't even support an UG (C went out with 5 empty seats).
How did blowhard #2 get into the Polaris lounge then?
Old Mar 16, 2024, 6:45 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by txaggiemiles
I honestly don't know but he was squarely in premium plus all flight.
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 9:23 am

Indeed. Moral of the story: Lincoln was spot on.

Old Mar 16, 2024, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by LIH
I honestly don't know but he was squarely in premium plus all flight.
Obviously, they KWIA!
Old Mar 17, 2024, 7:06 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Snack boxes on a CRJ-200?
on the 19 minute MKE-ORD flight? It’s been years since I even got a cup of water on that flight!
Old Mar 24, 2024, 2:18 pm

Had a wackadoodle experience on a short hop intra-Texas today.

I board towards the end and am in 1D on the 175. Guy in 1C and I don’t interact at all. FA kindly places my backpack in the closet.

Once at cruise FA comes to do a quick drink service. Asks row 1 what they want and 1C orders “2 bourbons, a Coke, a glass with no ice and a glass with ice.” FA says she can’t give him two right now but can give him one and if he needs another ask. She then asks me what I would like and I reply “Buffalo trace and sprite” - she says ok. Shortly after, FA comes with 1C’s order but he declines the ice cup. She then comes with my order which is already premixed in a plastic cup.

1C finishes his first Bourbon in approximately 2.5 seconds. As the FA is returning to the front galley after delivering Row 2 drinks and getting row 3’s orders, he is aggressively trying to hand her the empty bourbon and makes an exacerbated sigh. Continues to try and look around the wall into the galley to get her attention. Eventually he pushes the FA call button, and the FA comes and he, without saying a word, hands her the empty bourbon - which she takes and then, again without saying a word, gives him another!

At this point I am rather surprised at the aggressiveness of this passenger but also impressed that he got two drinks on this flight and that the FA had been so accommodating. Fast forward about 3 minutes and a different FA comes through the cabin collecting all the trash as we’ve started to descend. 1C has finished all of his and hands her his plethora of trash. Mine is still quite full and FA tells me “You’re going to have to chug that we are on final.” I asked “can I just hold it?” (All tray tables were up/closed) and she says “No because we are on final so we need it all. During initial yes but not final”. To which I proceeded to just “chug” the drink and I hand it to her at which point 1C says “You two are just making up all sorts of rules today aren’t ya?!”

Well the original FA hears this from the galley and comes around and just does not cower to the guy saying how they did not make up any rules, that she saw his eye rolls and snark the whole flight, and that this was just a 10 minute flight and that all the service they provided during the flight was done because she wants to make the flight enjoyable but she is not required to do so. Well 1C doesn’t back down either saying “I know you made up those rules do you think I don’t have access to the same Flight Manuals you do?” He was surprisingly aggressive and there was even discussion of involving the pilot. They truly shouted at each other for about 2 uncomfortable minutes. After this both FAs retreat to the back and nobody says a word. (I’m mostly looking out the window)

The FA returns to sit in her jump seat again without a word. I look over and give her a smile which she returns. Then, she asks me how I am and we engage in small talk and I thank her for stowing my backpack in the closet. She takes this opportunity to explain to me (but mostly 1C) that the manual says nothing in the closet because there is safety equipment in there and they need access to it but occasionally she can make smaller bags work if she rearranges stuff.

Anyway I have a lot of thoughts but wanted to see what FT thinks. 1C had DYKWIA attitude, though.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
1C's an alcoholic.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian
1C's an alcoholic.
It was a lot. I hated being tangentially involved.
lincolnjkc and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Back in the days when we were all less sensitive -- I would be commuting from upstate NY to Tokyo -- My strategy for time shifting was to stay up all night -- have a few drinks once I got on the first fight (back then there was no Polaris club lol and I had to go immediately to the flight to Tokyo) -- and then go right to sleep on the longhaul to NRT (from either ORD, IAD, or EWR). My go to drink was a double vodka on the rocks -- the amused looks on the FA's faces when I would order that at 7am always made my day -- since I always explained why I was always served.... Equally amused would be my seatmates... This is also how I discovered that you could get a drink in terminal A at EWR earlier than terminal C....

Yes 1C probably has a problem....
Old Mar 24, 2024, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I failed to mention he’s also a tool.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Back in the days when we were all less sensitive
I had no issue with 1C ordering the drinks. I also had a bourbon at noon on a Sunday. But the whole interaction was so uncomfortable and wrong.

my biggest fear is these types ruining it for the rest of us
lincolnjkc, trooper and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.