Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded (Oversold) from First/Business Class on UA (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

The agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to the day of departure downgrades (due to overbooking of the cabin).
Downgrades due to advance schedule / aircraft changes and/or canceled flights (including the day of departure) are not eligible.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if a customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

If I was CPUed and then degraded, am I eligible for GG OVS compensation?
Yes if the downgrade occurred on the day of departure.

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.

Related thread: First Class Oversold - How does United decide who stays and who goes

Archived thread Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions,Compensation, etc.) [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Downgraded (Oversold) from First/Business Class on UA (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2022, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by FreFly
Called 1K line, got transferred to customer service, who said it will take 1-2 weeks to get resolved. Curious to see if this will happen.
Bummer they didn't sort it for you on the spot. Keep on them. It will not take 2 weeks to fix this. If they haven't fixed it after a week call them back.

-RM
SPN Lifer and Xyzzy like this.
Old Nov 13, 2022, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Bummer they didn't sort it for you on the spot. Keep on them. It will not take 2 weeks to fix this. If they haven't fixed it after a week call them back.
-RM
After a week and a half, there is progress: I got a message from customer service that a certificate has been issued, and I can see it on my account. But PPs were not refunded.

Looks like United is doing hot-potato customer service. When I replied and pointed out that PPs were not refunded, my request has been forwarded to "Refunds". Not sure why the agent who issues the certificate could not also process the refund. Looks like the process of handling downgrades is broken.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
After a week and a half, there is progress: I got a message from customer service that a certificate has been issued, and I can see it on my account. But PPs were not refunded.

Looks like United is doing hot-potato customer service. When I replied and pointed out that PPs were not refunded, my request has been forwarded to "Refunds". Not sure why the agent who issues the certificate could not also process the refund. Looks like the process of handling downgrades is broken.
Different department that handles MP issues and CS issues
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT

Call the 1K line and ask to be transferred to the MileagePlus Service Center. They can handle a PP refund immediately. The refunds department is going to get you nowhere IMO.

-RM
Old Nov 14, 2022, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
Call the 1K line and ask to be transferred to the MileagePlus Service Center. They can handle a PP refund immediately. The refunds department is going to get you nowhere IMO.
-RM
You may be right, but I can wait a couple weeks to get my PP refund, I'll see if the request customer service made will result in a refund. If not, I'll follow your advice.
Old Nov 24, 2022, 7:01 am

You may be right, but I can wait a couple weeks to get my PP refund, I'll see if the request customer service made will result in a refund. If not, I'll follow your advice.
I did get PPs back within two weeks, after CS made the request to MP. The total processing time was a four weeks.

Looks like UA has rules for downgrade compensation, but no procedure. It is up to the customer to drive the process. This thread is very helpful, thanks to everybody who gave me advice.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 2MM + 1k, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
what's good compensation for a two-class downgrade when you're already on the plane?

Details:
  • Award travel tickets, premium transcon service with United Business, Premium Plus & Economy
  • Purchase: Aug 2022
  • Travel: Dec 2022
  • Route: EWR to SFO
  • Passenger: Mrs. SFO_71, also a 1K
  • Checked in at airport: 90 minutes prior to boarding

She boarded the plane and discovered someone else in her seat. No explanation other than "irregular operations" and then stuck her in E-.

At the start of boarding, they cleared a few upgrades into Business and Premium Plus, which makes no sense to me why they couldn't have moved someone else back to their original seat.

What's a decent ask for compensation? At a minimum, I'd think they'd need to refund the mileage delta between a Business seat and standard Economy. Should we ask for anything else? Mrs. SFO_71 was so nonplussed she just took the crappy seat. I'm sympathetic to true irregular operations like a switch of aircraft and a loss of a whole block of seats. This just seems like really bad day-of-travel management.

Many thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2022, 9:27 am

Yesterday I had a family member fly OGG-ORD in first. The gate agent announced a first class oversell situation and started the offer for a voluntary downgrade to premium at $1,500. Not sure where it ended up, but just wanted to provide a reference point. I’d say you should be entitled to more than that.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ugh, this seems very wrong, especially if they upgraded other pax. UA owes you a downgrade compensation as well as a refund in miles. I would ask 1KVoice to get this processed.
JALsnipe likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 10:02 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFO_71

What's a decent ask for compensation? At a minimum, I'd think they'd need to refund the mileage delta between a Business seat and standard Economy....
Yes plus by policy for Oversells, GG OVS DOWNGRADE / "FRONT CBN OVERSALE", $500 -- see wiki
plus I would be seeking a better explanation other than "oops" and volunteers not asked for.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes plus by policy for Oversells, GG OVS DOWNGRADE / "FRONT CBN OVERSALE", $500 -- see wiki
plus I would be seeking a better explanation other than "oops" and volunteers not asked for.
Virtually same thing happened to me on the same flight 6 months or so ago and I posted about it. I got the delta in mileage difference and I believe it was $500 as you posted. I will go back and check my records.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 1:11 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
Virtually same thing happened to me on the same flight 6 months or so ago and I posted about it. I got the delta in mileage difference and I believe it was $500 as you posted. I will go back and check my records.
In May 2022, appears you got your "upfront" seat after all and no need for comp.
Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.)
Old Dec 4, 2022, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
In May 2022, appears you got your "upfront" seat after all and no need for comp.
Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.)
Your memory is better than mine, LOL. That's what they did offer as I recall but yeah
literally after the doors closed they hustled me up front. Are mileage upgrade tickets basically the first to get "downgraded" in an over-sale situation?
Old Dec 4, 2022, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM + 1k, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
updates on 2-class downgrade

Just picked up a hoping mad Mrs. SFO_71. Gate agent flat out lied and said an aircraft change resulted in the problem. Fact it a second passenger had been assigned her seat, and they didn't want to fix it. She had to wait 20 minutes in the galley before the captain got off the plane and grabbed a gate agent. The gate agent promised they'd send an email to us for compensation: nothing. (super_bad)^N customer service from this gate agent and United. And a screen shot showing that they overbooked Business by 1. I wonder if UA Insider can weigh on this?

flight details
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2022, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO_71
Just picked up a hoping mad Mrs. SFO_71. Gate agent flat out lied and said an aircraft change resulted in the problem. Fact it a second passenger had been assigned her seat, and they didn't want to fix it. She had to wait 20 minutes in the galley before the captain got off the plane and grabbed a gate agent. The gate agent promised they'd send an email to us for compensation: nothing. (super_bad)^N customer service from this gate agent and United. And a screen shot showing that they overbooked Business by 1. I wonder if UA Insider can weigh on this?

flight details
51/50 does not indicate an oversell, it is a common display issue. What matters is that UA upgraded pax while not horning a confirmed premium pax, that needs an investigation. And UA Insider is long gone ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.