Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded (Oversold) from First/Business Class on UA (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

The agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to the day of departure downgrades (due to overbooking of the cabin).
Downgrades due to advance schedule / aircraft changes and/or canceled flights (including the day of departure) are not eligible.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if a customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

If I was CPUed and then degraded, am I eligible for GG OVS compensation?
Yes if the downgrade occurred on the day of departure.

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.

Related thread: First Class Oversold - How does United decide who stays and who goes

Archived thread Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions,Compensation, etc.) [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Downgraded (Oversold) from First/Business Class on UA (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2021, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
I have been flying quite a bit in the last month and have quite a few good experiences to relay to FT but this is one of of the better ones.
Flying on an award ticket from EWR -SFO then over night SFO with SFO-KOA (not award fwiw) I was downgraded initially in EWR from F to E by gate agent. She said it was "a tough decision" but the flight was overbooked so since I was a 1K flying on miles she choose me for the downgrade. When I asked about compensation I was told I would get my miles back and that was basically it. I could discuss further compensation with CS but told to just board as it was now getting late. I took my E+ seat and they literally closed the doors when another passenger came up to me and said I was in her seat. Trying to remain calm I went up to the FA who had just closed the doors and was told they had a last minute no show in F so I was back "upfront" again and they gave my E+ seat to the women who was apparently stand by. The flight was indeed sold out. So I guess all is well that ends well but was not too happy with UA with the initial treatment. It seems flying on an award F ticket is never a sure thing!?

Last edited by nomad420; May 12, 2021 at 2:43 pm
Old May 12, 2021, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by nomad420
It seems flying on an award F ticket is never a sure thing!?
So much for the theory that United never overbooks F.
Old May 12, 2021, 2:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
,,,, When I asked about compensation I was told I would get my miles back and that was basically it. ...
That is incorrect, see the wiki .. Should be $500 "ETC" for SFO-EWR, per GG OVS DOWNGRADE

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
This is most commonly caused by an aircraft change
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 2:24 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Lately -- with full flights and perhaps encouraged by the "change your mind anytime" for all fares except BE -- I've been seeing a fairly significant number of flights where the AC has not changed but that are showing availability along the lines of J1 C0 Y0 with a completely full seat map. I've heard some rumblings from off the record sources that "the flight was oversold in front up until a couple hours ago" or similar.

I'm reasonably sure about two weeks ago I forced a flight into a J oversell during IROPS (The app let me rebook myself on a flight that airport agents were telling me had no availability, expert mode was showing it as J1 and everything else 0, and I didn't get a seat assignment until the next day) but that's more of a "back of the mind feeling" than any concrete evidence to support it. As it turned out the flight left the gate the first time 100% full; and stayed at about 99% after our first gate return...so it seems the algorithms are smart enough to keep UA out of trouble most of the time while maximizing loads/revenue.
Old May 12, 2021, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
That is incorrect, see the wiki .. Should be $500 "ETC" for SFO-EWR, per GG OVS DOWNGRADE

FWIW this was NOT an aircraft change situation. They openly stated they "over sold" the flight. I figured there would be more compensation than just "getting my miles back" but the GA didn't want to get into any of that with me and just said call CS.
Old May 12, 2021, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I know for a fact United overbooks F by one on some routes. One of them is sfo-sin I’m sure there are many others. It makes sense though. Full J fares on that route can be 15k and I’m sure United’s downgrade compensation is far from that and I’m sure most of the time someone misconnects.
SPN Lifer and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old May 12, 2021, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW this was NOT an aircraft change situation. They openly stated they "over sold" the flight. I figured there would be more compensation than just "getting my miles back" but the GA didn't want to get into any of that with me and just said call CS.
An aircraft swap two days ago could lead to an oversold situation today.

I don't know that the downgrade order is strictly defined, but I'm pretty sure "1K on a miles ticket" is only really supposed to be targeted if everyone else was also 1K or GS. It sounds like you had one of those gate agents who makes up policies on the spot, especially since they told you that you'd get no additional compensation. Also, I believe she's supposed to start by soliciting volunteers.

I wouldn't take this one experience as evidence of policy -- I'm thinking rogue agent.
iluv2fly, SPN Lifer, uanj and 1 others like this.
Old May 12, 2021, 3:41 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
I don't know that the downgrade order is strictly defined, but I'm pretty sure "1K on a miles ticket" is only really supposed to be targeted if everyone else was also 1K or GS. It sounds like you had one of those gate agents who makes up policies on the spot, especially since they told you that you'd get no additional compensation. Also, I believe she's supposed to start by soliciting volunteers.

I wouldn't take this one experience as evidence of policy -- I'm thinking rogue agent.
There is a published policy on IDB (elites are exempt) but not sure I have seen one for OVS downgrades. Soliciting volunteers is part of the IDB policy.
Old May 12, 2021, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't know that the downgrade order is strictly defined, but I'm pretty sure "1K on a miles ticket" is only really supposed to be targeted if everyone else was also 1K or GS. It sounds like you had one of those gate agents who makes up policies on the spot, especially since they told you that you'd get no additional compensation.
Yes that was totally wrong, classic EWR "service."
bocastephen and samosa like this.
Old May 12, 2021, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes that was totally wrong, classic EWR "service."
Yup - sEWeR service.

David
Old May 12, 2021, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a published policy on IDB (elites are exempt) but not sure I have seen one for OVS downgrades. Soliciting volunteers is part of the IDB policy.
Right, that's the thing. I think they're supposed to use what amounts to the same policy for downgrades as for IDB, but I can't point to anything that would prove it.
Old May 12, 2021, 7:39 pm

Right, that's the thing. I think they're supposed to use what amounts to the same policy for downgrades as for IDB, but I can't point to anything that would prove it.
I think it would be very foolish for UA to bump a paid F for an Silver on award travel. The IDB policy does not work for the F cabin. Something using fare and then status makes more sense
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it would be very foolish for UA to bump a paid F for an Silver on award travel. The IDB policy does not work for the F cabin. Something using fare and then status makes more sense
That Silver earned those miles by giving UA a considerable amount of money in the past, whereas the "paid F" traveler could well have found a cheap P fare somewhere and is never planning to fly UA again.

They shouldn't be downgrading anyone. But if they have to, there are arguments to be made for just about any procedure you can think of. That's why I think they're supposed to start with volunteers and go from there.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old May 12, 2021, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
100% agree for downgrades fare paid should go first then status.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 12, 2021, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
100% agree for downgrades fare paid should go first then status.
So who gets the short end between a 1K that is on an award (IN/JN) vs. one that was upgraded (PZ)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.