Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 13, 19, 10:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
It has been reported that the compensation, via Electronic Travel Certificate, rules/schedule for passengers downgraded from F to Y are in SHARES system at: GG OVS DOWNGRADE

The agent could also search for "FRONT CBN OVERSALE"

1-1000 miles $200
1001-2000 miles $250
2001-3000 miles $500
3001-4000 miles $750 (was $1000)
4000-5000 miles $1000
5001+ miles $1,500

PLUS a refund of the miles/money/instrument used for upgrading, or if revenue, the fare difference between the fare paid and the lowest published fare available on the date of purchase.

The above applies only to the day of departure downgrades (due to overbooking of the cabin).
Downgrades due to advance schedule / aircraft changes and/or canceled flights (including the day of departure) are not eligible.

Downgraded passengers on award tickets must contact the MP service center.
"...Service center determines if a customer receives downgrade comp in addition to the ETC provided at the airport."

If I was CPUed and then degraded, am I eligible for GG OVS compensation?
Yes if the downgrade occurred on the day of departure.

With thanks to Billiken for the original post.

Related thread: First Class Oversold - How does United decide who stays and who goes

Archived thread Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions,Compensation, etc.) [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 2, 16, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation Downgraded from First/Business Class on United (Questions, Compensation, etc.)

UPDATE: I was downgraded two flights in a row, and put in a middle seat after being berated by the GA. United. We done.
Hey All. I need quick help.

I was just bumped from UA 1557 F to a middle seat, while they upgraded five people from coach (see this photo).

We board in an hour. Can you help (or explain how that's legal?)?

Thanks FTers,

MSit

Last edited by msit; Jan 3, 16 at 11:44 pm
Old Jan 2, 16, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you buy F? Or in F by some other means?
Old Jan 2, 16, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
Did you buy F? Or in F by some other means?
Award ticket, booked 10 months ago. Am I screwed?
Old Jan 2, 16, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Did UA say why they bumped you?
Old Jan 2, 16, 11:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Did UA say why they bumped you?
They said they oversold F by 1 and I was the lowest priority. Figures
Old Jan 2, 16, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA ex-P, Hyatt whatever tier 2 is now, credit card elite in the usual suspects
Help: Bumped From United F While Other Upgraded

Did you ask the gate agent how come there are upgrades if there was an over sell?
Old Jan 2, 16, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k

Did you ask the gate agent for compensation?
Old Jan 3, 16, 12:32 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM),AS MVP Gold 75K, AA Exec Plat, BA Gold, DL Plat Medallion, MH Enrich Platinum
Upgraded people could have been paid ticket and using instruments?
Old Jan 3, 16, 12:46 am

Programs: AA ex-P, Hyatt whatever tier 2 is now, credit card elite in the usual suspects
Originally Posted by zebranz View Post
Upgraded people could have been paid ticket and using instruments?
You mean upgraded with instruments prior to the over sell? Would they appear on the gate upgrade list in this case?
Old Jan 3, 16, 7:03 am
Original Poster

UPDATE: Downgraded on connecting flight too. This is not my day.

Gate agent at OGG was a jerk. Not te least bit sympathetic. Tried to trick me into signing a voluntary downgrade by telling me I wouldn't be compensated otherwise. When I refused, he gave me the $500 cert he had to give me anyway. Nowhere near what that seat was worth (5 hr redeye with $3k f tickets). Booked me in a middle seat, and refused to answer me about the upgrade list.

Gate agent at SFO was nice, although same deal with the $500 cert. Put me in window exit.

Last time I ever fly United.

Last edited by goalie; Jan 3, 16 at 12:07 pm Reason: offensive term replaced
Old Jan 3, 16, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While it is impossible for OP and for any of us to know based on the photo OP took of the gate display, it is most likely that the five UG's are -UP fares or certs which were upgraded a good long time ago (as early as when the tickets were booked).

In an oversell, the agent is correct, after CPU's, award tickets get the bump first. I'm presuming no CPU's on this flight, so the fickle finger of fate points to you.

In addition to the customer service gesture of $500, the COC provide for a refund of the fare difference (in miles), so you should see that soon (or may send in a webform request).

Downgrades happen on AA and DL too and the customer service gesture tends to be roughly the same. They don't happen on WN, but then again, there's no F ! So, jumping ship from UA won't do much good.
Old Jan 3, 16, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post

Downgrades happen on AA and DL too and the customer service gesture tends to be roughly the same. They don't happen on WN, but then again, there's no F ! So, jumping ship from UA won't do much good.
I understand downgrades happen, but I have three issues with the way this was handled:

1. I was bumped two legs in a row.
2. The GA was extremely rude.
3. They lied to my face. When I asked if I was fine for my next flight, they promised me that my seat was safe. I got to the gate for my connecting flight, went to board, and was told I'd been downgraded...again
Old Jan 3, 16, 8:14 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAEE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, US CP (RIP)

Which airlines oversell First? US did not, but based on comments in this thread it sounds as though this is common on other airlines?

I am accustomed to risk being downgraded only when there is an equipment change.
Old Jan 3, 16, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Board accuracy

I seem to recall showing up on the upgrade list when, in fact, I was holding a standard F award (about a month ago). It's possible the display might be wonky, i.e. the other people on the list were also award bookings, possibly at a higher priority. Looks like two family groups.
Old Jan 3, 16, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
While it is impossible for OP and for any of us to know based on the photo OP took of the gate display, it is most likely that the five UG's are -UP fares or certs which were upgraded a good long time ago (as early as when the tickets were booked).
Pax on UP fares do not show on the upgraded list. Perhaps you are referring to Y/B/M instant upgrade fares, which do.

To OP, it's pretty unusual for UA to oversell F. Something sounds a little fishy here.

As noted by Often1, you are also entitled to a miles refund for the difference between the F and economy award (17,500 miles, assuming it was a saver award).

Search this Thread