Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ATL Huge Slow Moving Lines, Yelling Agents, Terrible Reroutes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2015, 3:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by guera
The original itinerary was booked with United miles. Can I get delta miles with the reroute?
Depends how it was booked, but very likely in a paid fare class and mileage earning.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 4:23 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by guera
We got to ATL to find our flight to IAH cancelled. No text or email notification. The United counter was total chaos. We finally figured out by talking to other passengers that there were two lines--one for checkin and the other was for canceled flights.

As we were talking to some other people we heard and saw an agent yelling at the top of her lungs at a passenger who had stopped her to ask a question. She yelled at him to not ask her any questions she had other things to do. Everyone was dumbfounded!

We finally figured out which line to get in but got on the phone to United and listened to Rhapsody in Blue for an hour and finally got an agent. Our final destination was CUU (Chihuahua) and we have been rerouted through Mexico City with Aeromexico. We have a 7 hour wait in ATL for our ATL-MEX flight. Then an 8 hour layover in MEX. Oh boy.

After we got our new confirmation number from the agent on the phone we noticed that we hadn't moved in line the whole time that I had been talking.

OK, rant over. Thanks for listening.
This is not meant with any disrespect whatsoever and I empathize with your situation. If you do not have notifications enabled then you should not have expected a notification (maybe some can correct me). My armchair quarterback suggestion would be that you should have absolutely checked your flight status before leaving for the airport - at a minimum - especially given the huge storm and coupled with the increased holiday traffic. For perspective, I had a non-status friend on hold for 3 hours and 45 minutes before getting and agent and the best he could do was to get out of Cleveland on Thursday after his flight was cancelled this morning.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyKid
This is not meant with any disrespect whatsoever and I empathize with your situation. If you do not have notifications enabled then you should not have expected a notification (maybe some can correct me). My armchair quarterback suggestion would be that you should have absolutely checked your flight status before leaving for the airport - at a minimum - especially given the huge storm and coupled with the increased holiday traffic. For perspective, I had a non-status friend on hold for 3 hours and 45 minutes before getting and agent and the best he could do was to get out of Cleveland on Thursday after his flight was cancelled this morning.
My notifications are enabled. They work about 1/3 of the time.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 5:55 pm
formerly FrequentFlyKid

Programs: United Global Services, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by milepig
That is certainly a fair point. Just some constructive advice for next time; especially given United's propensity for a 33% successful notification rate.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Plat, GE/TSAPre
I have far better luck enabling push notifications in the app for the flight status cards of flights that matter to me than relying on text/auto-call from United via the web preferences. Your mileage may vary but thats my go to.

And I always am religiously keeping track of equipment within 12-24 hours when storms are as bad as they were this week so I can be proactive about changing.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by milepig
My notifications work 100% of the time...that is, 100% of the time AFTER my delayed/rescheduled flight has landed in my destination.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
ATL is a difficult station for UA. Some of the least helpful, most demeaning and poorly trained gate agents anywhere. This shows worst when IRROPS happen. I've seen agents do things that simply defy explanation (like making a passenger put her Kindle in her carry-on because otherwise it would count as a 2nd personal item. I've seen them scream at patients and frequently simply turn their backs on them and ignore them. They did have a good UC crew - hope they are back.

OP - your experience seems to have been at the ticket counter...hope you survived it. There - validation of rant.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cmculp
I've seen them scream at patients...
Patients? Are we talking about a hospital here? Or ATL is a hospital?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist

You'll enjoy the ride with DL, at least compared to UA certainly. Will you earn DL miles? Maybe. DL now has a process where IRROPS from another carrier doesn't earn miles on DL, but it's been known to be hit or miss.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ksingh0311
Patients? Are we talking about a hospital here? Or ATL is a hospital?
LOL - you can see the other conversation going on in the background...I am a physician...customers
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA, DL, BA, HH, IHG
We're in the Centurion Lounge now in MEX having a couple of Coronas to dull the pain. Nice flight down on Delta.

The Centurion here is kinda like a United Club in the US if you know what I mean. We'll get kicked out of here at midnight. Then we'll have 7 hours to kill before our flight out to CUU at o'dark o'clock.

This jet setting life is so glamorous.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by phxrsng
I have far better luck enabling push notifications in the app for the flight status cards of flights that matter to me than relying on text/auto-call from United via the web preferences. Your mileage may vary but thats my go to.
Yea I tried that Sunday. Completely inoperative on multiple flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.