Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

737-x00 - seatmap showing fewer F seats (such as only 8) ???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2016, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA on some routes displays a strange seatmap of only 8F seats but stating the aircraft to be used as one that has more F seats. Such as a 737-800 that actually has 16 F seats or a 737-900 which will have 20 F seats. There are similiar issues with the economy seatmap.

It has been surmised by this community that this is a placeholder seatmap (generic narrowbody) and the actual aircraft will be adjusted later based on sales and the correct seatmap will be eventually be displayed as the aircraft utilization is worked out.

The only UA mainline aircraft with 8 F seats is the A319.
Print Wikipost

737-x00 - seatmap showing fewer F seats (such as only 8) ???

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2016, 11:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Few weeks ago I had an 757-300 swap to an A319.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:39 am

I have a flight in just over a week - UA434 Apr 7th EWR-MCO, it's a 739 with 20/45/96 seats. If this was a placeholder I would have expected it to turn into a real config a while ago. Is this a real config?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
I've said it before and I'll say it again there are absolutely no plans to reduce the 739 F cabin from 20 to 8 F seats what people are seeing is a place holder seat map in case of downgauge from 739 to 319. While we're on this subject 738s remain at 16F, 73Gs at 12F, A320s at 12F A319s at 8F.
I see one on SFO-HNL and I doubt they would run a 319 on that route. I say UA IT at it's best.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by SandLake
I have a flight in just over a week - UA434 Apr 7th EWR-MCO, it's a 739 with 20/45/96 seats. If this was a placeholder I would have expected it to turn into a real config a while ago. Is this a real config?
Looks very close to to a standard 739 config, referred to as v.1 here:

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...0/default.aspx

Only difference is one fewer row of E+.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by zoegksf
I see one on SFO-HNL and I doubt they would run a 319 on that route. I say UA IT at it's best.
I bet you 10-to-1 it has nothing to do with IT. But, whatever. Now that Smisek's gone, the FT wheel of blame only has two spaces left on it (or maybe only one, if you count SHARES as being part of IT).
Old Mar 30, 2016, 2:12 am

At 20/45/96 it's also very similar to a 320 (12/42/96) but strictly it is neither and not any actual config I can see.
I thought the process was, create it as a placeholder and then as things develop about 6 weeks out change to an actual (available) config.
I believe there has to be a change and I'm not concerned about the seating - I want to know what the schedule will be.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 6:26 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Data point...the proper seatmap now shows for our IAD-AUA flights on July 9 and 16...
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Loaded Maui Seatmap Over Xmas Incorrect - Why?

Mods please move if there is a thread on this:

United appears to flying 737-8's between SFO/LAX and OGG in November (and maybe earlier) through January (and maybe later). To my knowledge, all of UA's 6 versions of the 737 have at least 16 First Class seats. However, beginning Dec 16 - Jan 3rd it appears all of the 737-8's on routes between Maui and the west coast are only showing 8 F seats, with several of the flights already sold out. In fact, aside from the A319 (which I really doubt UA would use on this route) all mainline aircraft have at least 12 F seats, according to SG. Among the possible reasons I considered:

1) 737-8 is a placeholder (but why just the two very most popular weeks over xmas, when demand is well in excess of 8 seats?)
2) Hold back F inventory and leak it slowly to maximize revenue and create an artificial scarcity value
3) Deceptive way to limit standard First awards, and leak the remaining F seats only for revenue (not sure how they could accomplish this)
4) Not showing F inventory that they will sell to tour operators
5) An error, but why is the seat map correct just before and after the two week holiday period.

The reservation agent saw the issue and had no idea why the cabin is only loaded with 8 seats.

If United wanted to hold back seats, why not just block some of the seats as opposed to loading maps that don't exist?

Any idea what is going on or when the seatmap/aircraft may be fixed?

Thanks
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:32 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Probably similar to this issue:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...8-f-seats.html
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:37 am

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Thanks. On that thread people thought it was a glitch. I really doubt Maui to LAX/SFO over the two most popular weeks of the year is a glitch. And how likely is it that all of these flights (3 or 4 a day from LA and SF) are all going to 319s for 16 days? UA is up to something, I just don't know what or why. But the cynic in me says UA doesn't want all of these seats given out for standard award miles.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dkc715
Thanks. On that thread people thought it was a glitch.
A couple people did despite massive historical evidence to the contrary. :-:
Old Apr 12, 2016, 8:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by sbm12
A couple people did despite massive historical evidence to the contrary. :-:
I make it a rule not to ascribe to chicanery what can more easily be attributed to incompetence.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
I make it a rule not to ascribe to chicanery what can more easily be attributed to incompetence.
A restatement of Hanlon's razor: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity"
Old Apr 12, 2016, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by dkc715
Thanks. On that thread people thought it was a glitch. I really doubt Maui to LAX/SFO over the two most popular weeks of the year is a glitch. And how likely is it that all of these flights (3 or 4 a day from LA and SF) are all going to 319s for 16 days? UA is up to something, I just don't know what or why. But the cynic in me says UA doesn't want all of these seats given out for standard award miles.
I feel like UA is just hitting the issue with a big hammer and using the 8F seatmap to block a large number of routes with potential equipment swap. The chance of a swap to a 319 ex-OGG is exactly zero, as none of the 319 fleet is ETOPS capable. The route does swap around a bit though: West Coast to Hawaii seems to get a mix of 738, 739, 752, 753, and occasional widebodies.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
737-800 Only 2 rows in F

Looking at a couple of flights from DEN to ORD in September and see a seat map with only 2 rows of F and last row of Y being 38.

Is this to allow for an aircraft swap all the way down to a A319? The E+ section is strangely 4 rows back on the left side and 5 rows back on right side then two regular E rows then the two E+ exit rows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.