Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

737-x00 - seatmap showing fewer F seats (such as only 8) ???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 15, 2016, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA on some routes displays a strange seatmap of only 8F seats but stating the aircraft to be used as one that has more F seats. Such as a 737-800 that actually has 16 F seats or a 737-900 which will have 20 F seats. There are similiar issues with the economy seatmap.

It has been surmised by this community that this is a placeholder seatmap (generic narrowbody) and the actual aircraft will be adjusted later based on sales and the correct seatmap will be eventually be displayed as the aircraft utilization is worked out.

The only UA mainline aircraft with 8 F seats is the A319.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:50 pm
HKG
Original Poster

Looking at the general UA seatmap vs an actual reservation flight seatmap on 737-700 UA1108 on Dec 20th from IAH to SEA, it is only showing 2 rows of first class, is UA cutting one row of first class on the 737-700 or it is showing an A319 but the last row of economy row only to Row 31, so it doesn't match with the row number on A319 either. Any Idea?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by HKG
Looking at the general UA seatmap vs an actual reservation flight seatmap on 737-700 UA1108 on Dec 20th from IAH to SEA, it is only showing 2 rows of first class, is UA cutting one row of first class on the 737-700 or it is showing an A319 but the last row of economy row only to Row 31, so it doesn't match with the row number on A319 either. Any Idea?
No the 737-700s aren't getting a row of F removed.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
It's the weekend - many (most? every?) weekends the aircraft types on the website get scrambled - Q400s across the Atlantic, seatmaps that don't match the aircraft type, etc.

Long standing glitch dating back to the PMCO days, where the res system and website were inherited from.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Placeholder seat map.

Not always a "weekend equipment swap" thing; can also mean "we do not know what kind of plane this will be yet" thing.

In the "not sure what kind of plane yet" situation, UA hasn't yet decided for sure whether they want to use an A319 or a 737-700 on the route. While they're unsure, UA publishes a "pessimal" seat map which only has seats that will *definitely* exist no matter what flavor of narrowbody they end up allocating.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22197032-post65.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...questions.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...iguration.html
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:18 am

737-700 with 8 First Seats?

Does this aircraft configuration actually exist? What is the reason/purpose for planning a flight using it?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:30 am

Not according to United.com or SeatGuru.

But there are A319s with 8 F seats. Good for routes with little paid F travel. UA would rather have more Y seats instead of F seats that it would not sell at good prices and only give away to elites or cheap upgrades.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:03 am

Sorry I should have listed the flight!

MCO-EWR 16th May @ 17:20. it's showing as a 737-700 with 2 rows of (4) First seats but as will2288 says it doesn't exist according to United or Seatguru.

United must plan at some point to change it to a real aircraft but I would have thought that it would be more sensible to specify a real aircraft configuration from the outset.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SandLake
United must plan at some point to change it to a real aircraft but I would have thought that it would be more sensible to specify a real aircraft configuration from the outset.
It makes more sense to use a baseline config that won't be oversold one way or the other until they decide what type of plane to actually put on the route. That way no one loses a seat they've purchased.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:31 am

Ah OK, I see what you are saying
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:16 am

Interesting. Is the 737-700 the lowest common denominator of all UA mainline aircraft? Or perhaps of all sCO mainline aircraft? If it were an sUA route, perhaps they would have just scheduled an A319 as a placeholder.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by will2288
But there are A319s with 8 F seats. Good for routes with little paid F travel. UA would rather have more Y seats instead of F seats that it would not sell at good prices and only give away to elites or cheap upgrades.
All UA 319's have 8 F seats. That's just the way UA had them configured when it bought them. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether a particular route has heavy demand for paid F.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by SandLake
Does this aircraft configuration actually exist? What is the reason/purpose for planning a flight using it?
It will probably be switched to an A319.

On one particular flight that I take about every other month the website always shows the 737-700 with two rows of First Class until a month or so before the flight, then it switches to an A319 (and different flight number, of course). This has happened several times over the second half of 2014.

On the return flight from the same trip the website always shows a 737-700 with three rows of First Class and that particular flight is always operated by that aircraft.

I find this extremely odd, and believe it must be one of the contributing factors to the poor operational performance of United since the merger. Too many changes, too many swaps, too many customers losing seats and being moved, requiring the check-in agents and gate agents to need to spend extra time "fixing" seats, too many ramp agents at an outstation not realizing that on Tuesday a flight that is normally an A319 is a 737-900 and will take more baggage carts to unload so the bags take forever to arrive at baggage claim. And so on, and so on, and so on.

I realize matching capacity to demand is smart business, but it puts a strain on operations that clearly has not been resolved yet.

Please United...recognize that your employees are struggling to provide the level of service your customers expect...and you are not making it easy on them.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

737-700 with 8 F Seats?

I have a domestic trip booked this summer. Just noticed the seats for my partner and me on one of the segments were changed from 2EF to 1EF. Fortunately 2EF were still available so I changed it back, but while doing that I noticed the seat map showed only 2 rows in F and 31 in Y for this aircraft, which doesn't match any seating charts I could find on either Seatguru or the United website. It is showing as a 737-700 in the reservation.

So what kind of plane is this? Will it have IFE? Why isn't it showing on the website? Seems odd.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Bear96
I have a domestic trip booked this summer. Just noticed the seats for my partner and me on one of the segments were changed from 2EF to 1EF. Fortunately 2EF were still available so I changed it back, but while doing that I noticed the seat map showed only 2 rows in F and 31 in Y for this aircraft, which doesn't match any seating charts I could find on either Seatguru or the United website. It is showing as a 737-700 in the reservation.

So what kind of plane is this? Will it have IFE? Why isn't it showing on the website? Seems odd.
Didn't United recently lease some used 737-700s? I wonder if they came with a different seating configuration?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know. I have not heard of a United aircraft in many years that has only two rows in F, so that is what piqued my curiosity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.